European Refugee Crisis

StrangeSox

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 09:21 AM)
Hah.

No. To be honest, I have not had any time to keep up with current events recently.

Joys of fatherhood, haha. I will say...it is awesome having football back on. Nice on Saturday night when the kid is asleep to be able to watch the tail end of a few of the games. Plus...after a day of running around with the kids, you truly can relax, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 09:59 AM)
Joys of fatherhood, haha. I will say...it is awesome having football back on. Nice on Saturday night when the kid is asleep to be able to watch the tail end of a few of the games. Plus...after a day of running around with the kids, you truly can relax, haha.

This year has been the perfect storm of time and energy consuming life-events for me.

Birth of our first child, major project happening at work, and moved my parents from Chicago to Las Vegas. Not sure which has been the most stressful :)

Unfortunately, that has left no time for current events. The world could be falling down around me, and unless I saw it happening on my way to work or to get diapers, I probably wouldn't notice.

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
I think the US could probably take quite a few more refugees and successfully get them taken care of here. The US did a pretty good job handling the South Vietnamese refugees after the war ended in the 70s.

Ask Minneapolis how they like having 10k Somalian refugees there.

Incidents like this are exactly why we need a more 21st century immigration policy. We have a situation where there is a level of true need, in some cases avoiding genocide and war. A policy that takes need and situation into account, and also looks to match better with existing work needs in the United States just makes sense. It shouldn't be based simply on things like geographical preference, race, and access. We can do much better.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Yeah, this is a great point.

For what it's worth, the US is taking less refugees than 30 years ago. I don't understand why, when our population growth is slowing, it is believed we cannot accept immigrants.

Immigration seems to work best we economic conditions warrant it. With the general malaise of the economy, it doesn't fly politically, especially with the unsettled questions of immigrations from Mexico polluting the waters for everyone else.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 03:11 PM)
Ask Minneapolis how they like having 10k Somalian refugees there.

The situation is rough. You want to be humane but at the same time you have to be concerned about the security of our nation.

What better way to get terrorist in the country by taking in refugees from that part of the world.

It's a very irrational way of thinking but I definitely think that goes through the minds of people when they think about accepting them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 02:20 PM)
BTW if we were talking about 1,000,000+ immigrants I do think planning and hesitation is warranted, but we are talkinga bout increasing our input from 10k to 50k.

With planning, it wouldn't be an issue. If you think of it as 50,000 immigrants would be an average of 1000 per each state in the union. Realistically the distributions wouldn't be even, but we are talking about the population of Hoffman Estates being spread out across the entire USA. It shouldn't be a big burden if done right.

With planning, it wouldn't be an issue. If you think of it as 50,000 immigrants would be an average of 1000 per each state in the union. Realistically the distributions wouldn't be even, but we are talking about the population of Hoffman Estates being spread out across the entire USA. It shouldn't be a big burden if done right.

Right, because who the f*** wants to live in North Dakota??

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
Immigration seems to work best we economic conditions warrant it. With the general malaise of the economy, it doesn't fly politically, especially with the unsettled questions of immigrations from Mexico polluting the waters for everyone else.

Yes, with the slack that is still apparent I can see that. But I do think there are foreign policy considerations here, with what is asked of major allies of US in the area.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Um, I live in the Twin Cities and have zero idea what you're talking about.

http://www.startribune.com/new-somali-refu...ng/281197521/#1

Mary Jo Cope­land, the found­er of Mary’s Place, says as many as 60 of the shel­ter’s rough­ly 90 units are oc­cu­pied by So­ma­li fami­lies, gen­er­al­ly re­cent ar­ri­vals from Af­ri­ca by way of an­oth­er state.

The num­ber of So­ma­li adults and children who participated in the state’s fam­i­ly cash as­sist­ance program jumped 34 percent from 2008 to 2013, to 5,950. At the same time, food as­sist­ance participation increased 98 percent, to 17,300 adults and children, which does not include U.S.-born Somalis. Census numbers place the Minnesota Somali community at more than 33,000, a count Somali leaders say underestimates its size by tens of thousand

s.

So right off the bat they tax the already burdened welfare network. The story also mentions the additional educational resources many districts have to spend to try and educate the children. To their credit, they do say that many succeed.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/09/refugees-in-u-s...-welfare-jihad/

Two Somali men from Minneapolis-St. Paul have died recently fighting for ISIS, and several Somali women have reportedly left their homes in the area to join ISIS. The FBI says up to 25 Somalis have left to fight with Islamic militants in the Middle East since 2007.

“We’ve seen those problems before in Minnesota, we’ve had young men wielding machetes in the streets, we’ve had a number of demands for foot baths at community colleges and demands that food be changed at various public schools to be in accord with Islamic tradition. There’s just a real concern that the way of living of Somalia is being imposed on Minnesota as opposed to them adapting to the American way of life.”

Yes, that link is a little slanted, but still valid concerns.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/minnesota-...hennepin-county

Stanek said Minnesota is a “designated U.S. Refugee Resettlement Area,” with a Somali population ranging from 80,000 to 125,000 in the state. As a result, Stanek said, while the African population in the U.S. as a whole is about four percent, 18 percent of the Minnesota population is African because of the large Somali presence.

“Somali gangs are unique in that they are not necessarily based on the narcotics trade as are other traditional gangs,” Stanek said, adding that “turf” is also not a motivating factor in Somali gang criminal activities.

“Gang members will often congregate in certain areas, but commit their criminal acts elsewhere,” Stanek said. “Criminal acts are often done in a wide geographic area that stretches outside of the Twin Cities seven county metro area

Cabbies don't want to transport people with booze or pets. Oh boy.

http://www.wnd.com/2015/04/feds-admit-terr...among-refugees/

In announcing the arrests of six Minnesota men charged with making repeated attempts to join the ISIS jihadist army in Syria, U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger made a stunning admission Monday.

“To be clear, we have a terror-recruitment problem in Minnesota,” he said at a press conference Monday in Minneapolis. “This case demonstrates how difficult it is to put an end to recruiting here.”

Sounds like paradise to me. Now maybe if they were spread out, like I think ss2k said, to each state in smaller numbers, it might not be so bad. But with such a huge concentration in one place, there is no need for them to fit in, they just make little Somalian neighborhoods and stay there.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Sep 14, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
Um, I live in the Twin Cities and have zero idea what you're talking about.

I have a hard time believe you don't know what he is talking about. I have been to Minneapolis 5 or 6 times and see a ton of Somalian people there each time and everyone I know that lives there knows about them.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
I have a hard time believe you don't know what he is talking about. I have been to Minneapolis 5 or 6 times and see a ton of Somalian people there each time and everyone I know that lives there knows about them.

Perhaps it's not that he doesn't know that there are Somalis there, maybe it's that he hasn't realized how the Somali refugees have undermined and overturned the Minneapolis way of life. He doesn't even realize how the town has completely changed and been destroyed...

My God

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 16, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
More 3 year old links from WorldNetDaily and a site that recommends articles about how gay marriage is just like Sharia law, please

11-1-2014

9-5-2014

7-25-2012

2013 (Youtube video, because that is when the event referenced happened)

4-20-15

Sorry the messenger isn't up to your standards. Now prove they are lying.

• 3 weeks later...

http://pjmedia.com/tatlehttp://www.soxtalk...-joining-jihad/

Minnesota leads the nation in the number of people who have left or sought to leave the country to fight with terrorists aligned with the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant in Syria, according to a scathing congressional report that says the U.S. and western countries have failed to disrupt the flow of combatants to the Middle East.

Released Tuesday by the U.S. House Committee on Homeland Security, the report specifically cites two Somali-American Minnesotans who joined or tried to join ISIL, highlighting its online recruiting success through peer-to-peer recruiting that relies on social media and sophisticated online messaging techniques.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 1, 2015 -> 04:47 PM)

So what's your suggested remedy? Internment camps like for Japanese-Americans during World War 2?

What about all those who become outstanding citizens and join the US armed forces or make outstanding contributions in other ways?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013...t-together.html