Ian Desmond: Perfect Buy Low Candidate?

Dunt

By all accounts, Desmond had an atrocious season last year for a guy coming off 3 straight 4+ win seasons. He failed to reach the 20/20 club for the first time since 2011 and was a butcher with the glove. I still think the Nationals might offer a QO to him, but does anybody think he is one of the best bounce back candidates of this FA class? His second half line bounced back quite a bit to the tune of .262/.331/.446 which is above average production from the SS spot. There is a great deal of risk involved in a long term contract with him, but if he could be had for $14-15 MM a year over 4 years, I think it's something the Sox should contemplate. That would give you the ability to slide Anderson to 2nd or move Desmond to DH if his glove continues to slide.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
By all accounts, Desmond had an atrocious season last year for a guy coming off 3 straight 4+ win seasons. He failed to reach the 20/20 club for the first time since 2011 and was a butcher with the glove. I still think the Nationals might offer a QO to him, but does anybody think he is one of the best bounce back candidates of this FA class? His second half line bounced back quite a bit to the tune of .262/.331/.446 which is above average production from the SS spot. There is a great deal of risk involved in a long term contract with him, but if he could be had for $14-15 MM a year over 4 years, I think it's something the Sox should contemplate. That would give you the ability to slide Anderson to 2nd or move Desmond to DH if his glove continues to slide.

Or even slide him to third if we still have no one there.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 12:19 PM)
Is $15 mil a year a "buy-low" scenario? Also, if he's a SS butcher, how does that help?

$15 million in FA basically equates to a 2 win player. He had his worst year as a professional and still managed to put up 1.7 wins. Butcher might be hyperbolic, but he had a bad first half with the glove and still finished the season with a positive defensive score.

EDIT: As a side note, Desmond had a higher defensive score than Alexei last season.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 12:20 PM)
Realistically, Alexei will be our SS next year. I really believe that. MAYBE the Sox could look at Desmond at 3rd, but I don't see us spending big money on a new SS, with bigger holes at 3B and C.

Exactly. Picking up Alexei's option is a near no-brainer IMO. Sure, the Sox may be paying him a $1-2M more than his "market value", but they have a replacement a year away and the FA market is void of legitimate 1 year options that are going to be both cheaper and more or equally effective on the field (as Alexei).

Pick up the option, and worry about 3B, C and a legitimate corner OF.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 01:56 PM)
Exactly. Picking up Alexei's option is a near no-brainer IMO. Sure, the Sox may be paying him a $1-2M more than his "market value", but they have a replacement a year away and the FA market is void of legitimate 1 year options that are going to be both cheaper and more or equally effective on the field (as Alexei).

Pick up the option, and worry about 3B, C and a legitimate corner OF.

I don't think it's a no-brainer to pick up Alexi's option. Unless sentimentality is part of the deal. Saladino as good at 6% the cost. Spend the money elsewhere.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 03:38 PM)
I don't think it's a no-brainer to pick up Alexi's option. Unless sentimentality is part of the deal. Saladino as good at 6% the cost. Spend the money elsewhere.

Not sure that will help sell any season tickets...for casual fans, it looks like punting on the season before it even begins.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Not sure that will help sell any season tickets...for casual fans, it looks like punting on the season before it even begins.

The punting on the season happened when they brought back Ventura

QUOTE (oldsox @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 04:38 PM)

Except Saladino isn't even close to as good of a MLB SS as Alexei.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 30, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)

If he gets a QO, he's not a buy low candidate.

But, yes, if the price really were low, take him.

Sox have no business throwing away draft choices like they did last year.

Let's add another career NL player who by the All Star break might be bad enough that can't be traded back to the NL.

3 years ago...I'd have loved him.

After ALL the NL signing FAIL.. I don't want a single thing from the NL. Nothing.

I'm with kite on this.

(And that includes Heyward).

Puig is the only one that is interesting to me....

I think Hahn could get Puig AND Cespedes (he's more AL than NL) if he's got any brains in his damn head....

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes