White Sox make qualifying offer to Jeff Samardzija.

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
And he's correct.

Another reason the Sox shouldn't sign a FA with a QO. There are few who fit in our price range anyway.

Yeah it is correct, actually. I didn't know that. Sox would have to forfeit their comp pick which makes it even less likely that they'd sign a free agent with a QO attached. Here's the rule: http://mlbplayers.mlb.com/pa/pdf/cba_english.pdf

It also means that the White Sox comp pick for Samardzija will likely be in the 20's. No way that they forfeit that pick. Let's say that 6 teams lose their 1st round picks for signing QO free agents. That means that the 1st round will be 1-24. The White Sox would then receive the 27th pick in the draft for Samardzija. The Sox have the 2nd worst record (behind SD) for teams offering QO's. That means that the Sox get the 3rd pick in the comp round behind the picks that will be rewarded for Upton and Kennedy.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 10:46 AM)
We don't know what Shark could have gotten, but before deadline when we were winning, there was a tweet saying sox had a deal in place with SF for Shark but wanted to wait and see. I think it was the next day Giants got Leake for their number one prospect Keury Mella. I believe that's who we could have gotten.

Mella will end up being a reliever. The pick the White Sox will receive is a better return than that.

The only players really worth signing are the ones out of the White Sox price range in the first place...with the biggest question marks going to Ian Desmond and some of those second-tier veteran starting pitchers.

You definitely can't emulate Minnesota's veteran fa spending here (except on the position player side, as opposed to Nolasco/Hughes/Santana) where you break open the bank for 2-3 more veterans like Kendrick unless you're truly willing to spend further into the $150s or $160s to close a majority of the holes.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)
Mella will end up being a reliever. The pick the White Sox will receive is a better return than that.

Let's not forget how valuable dominant relievers are right now.

If you could have had Frankie Montas' equivalent TODAY for Shark or a 5-7.5% chance at an All-Star or at least another Adams who wouldn't pay off until 2019 or 2020 and you're in win now mode (Year 2) which route would you go?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 12:45 PM)

You're probably one of the people in denial about Montas likely being ticketed to the bullpen in the near future aren't you?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)
You're probably one of the people in denial about Montas likely being ticketed to the bullpen in the near future aren't you?

Mella has had rotator cuff issues. He throws 96, Montas throws 100. I will take the pick and the $2 million in additional pool money. BPs write up on Mella last year said medicals and mechanics would make him a reliever.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Mella has had rotator cuff issues. He throws 96, Montas throws 100. I will take the pick and the $2 million in additional pool money. BPs write up on Mella last year said medicals and mechanics would make him a reliever.

Oh yeah me too but I was just giving an estimate originally on what we could have probably gotten back. I really don't want to give up that pick either unless we sign one of the younger free agents.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 01:06 PM)

I'm not in denial about anything. Montas needs to command the fastball and come up with some semblance of a 3rd pitch if he ever wants to be a big league starter.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 04:05 PM)
Exactly.

The odds are that a dominant young reliever is a lot more than the Sox will get from a comp pick.

Sox should get someone at least as good of a prospect as Spencer Adams. Maybe even better. They'll have 2 top 30 selections. One at 10. Another in the late 20's.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
I'm not ripping them but they should've moved him in June when they had the chance. They're in the "paid to get it right" business and they should've traded him. Oh well. Time to go out and have an aggressive offseason.

Hard to say that when you have zero clue what the offers were. The Sox were ahead of the Rangers and 1 GB on the Blue Jays at the the deadline. They shouldn't have traded Shark unless they got a nice piece, which I am guessing wasn't materializing. The benefit of hindsight in this case makes all the difference.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 04:10 PM)
Sox should get someone at least as good of a prospect as Spencer Adams. Maybe even better. They'll have 2 top 30 selections. One at 10. Another in the late 20's.

Put in that light, I agree that we didn't lose a huge opportunity in not dealing Shark.

Well, probably the best opportunity was lost when we didn't deal him after the Blue Jay series, as some suggested we should. That is when when he reached his peak in front of a dozen scouts and a team that needed a starter.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 10:58 PM)
Offer was expected and its expected he's leaving. Which is fine with me.

By the way Sullivan tonight has a story at the Tribune saying the Cubs "have their sites on him..."

It would be typical for him to have a good season next year, with some other team.

Mark

Would crack me up if Samardzija ended up signing with the cubs. Think of all the back-peddling cub fans would have to do after they hated on him for his comments last off season. :lol:

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 7, 2015 -> 05:54 PM)
Would crack me up if Samardzija ended up signing with the cubs. Think of all the back-peddling cub fans would have to do after they hated on him for his comments last off season. :lol:

Cubs Pursuing Samardzija

http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/11/08/r...utual-interest/

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 07:43 PM)
Are there concerns that he will?

in some cases, there should be a little concerned but not with Shark, i really think he really burnt that bridge of coming back. it would take a miracle to be proven wrong.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 6, 2015 -> 04:58 PM)
Researching I think it goes by record so the 2 Padre picks would be the only picks before the White Sox

I don't think it works that way, I think it goes in order by record but you only get one pick at a time. So the Padres would pick, then each other team with a comp pick would get a selection before the Padres made their second selection. At least that seemed to me the way that it has worked.