Kershaw wants Puig off the Dodgers?

GGajewski18

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
So the Sox would have a good rotation but horrible offense. That's not going to work. Unfortunately it's the you have to give something in order to get something. The Sox have some nice prospects but not enough to fill all the holes in the offense. Trading multiple prospects and emptying the farm system is not going to work. The only real option is to trade Quintana for a small army of hitters to help. Sox can absorb Quintana loss a bit more.

i agree with this idea for a long time now. i can see trading a Q or a Rodon for, as you said it nicely, an army of hitters. i still think the sox can get rid of the some of the extra prospects that may see themselves on the outside looking in, like beck, danish, ej (depending on other factors), even micah johnson, to name a few. keeping a certain core untouchable. the system will need thinning out, in the next 2 yrs. might as well do some of it now.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 10:13 AM)
oops i didn't see it that way from your all la-sox idea of trading. my bad.

I said the Sox basically have to trade Quintana because there is no other realistic way to supplement their offense. But they're not going to waste a top 40 bullet value-wise in all of baseball on an irresponsible and somewhat reckless player and person in Puig in a 1 for 1 swap.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 04:31 PM)
I said the Sox basically have to trade Quintana because there is no other realistic way to supplement their offense. But they're not going to waste a top 40 bullet value-wise in all of baseball on an irresponsible and somewhat reckless player and person in Puig in a 1 for 1 swap.

and with that.... i fully agree. this is the time to max out the rtn for a traded pitcher.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 10:02 AM)
So the Sox would have a good rotation but horrible offense. That's not going to work. Unfortunately it's the you have to give something in order to get something. The Sox have some nice prospects but not enough to fill all the holes in the offense. Trading multiple prospects and emptying the farm system is not going to work. The only real option is to trade Quintana for a small army of hitters to help. Sox can absorb Quintana loss a bit more.

Who replaces Q in the rotation?

No matter what the Sox do, they won't fill all the holes in one off season anyway and trading Q opens a huge void in the rotation. Take Q out of the rotation and the Sox are left with Sale, Rodon, Danks, EJ and ? Montas and Fulmer aren't ready so now the Sox have to spend limited funds on a FA pitcher that will not match Q's numbers all the while making the rotation worse. Not a good idea considering the Sox play 81 games a year in a hitter friendly ball park.

The Sox can sign Freese which takes care of 3B for the next two or three years while the Sox develop or trade for a young 3B. They could (speculating) try using some combination of EJ, Montas, Micah, Sanchez, Avi in a trade with the Marlins for Dee Gordon or Marcel Ozuna without taking much of a hit on ML talent. If the Sox got Gordon somehow, he takes SS. If the Sox get Ozuna, he takes over RF. Either way, the lineup and defense improve without the cost of ML talent or losing Q.

Point is, there are other options the Sox can explore besides the idea of trading Q. Imo, the Sox are exploring other options and is one reason why they are still forming a plan. Rumors of EJ being on the trade block kinda goes along with what I'm getting at. For the Sox, I think the idea of trading Q is more of a fall back option if they cannot get other plans/ideas to fall into place.

I'm not against trading Q, just not as willing as other fans. Just my perspective is all.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)

No matter what the Sox do, they won't fill all the holes in one off season anyway and trading Q opens a huge void in the rotation. Take Q out of the rotation and the Sox are left with Sale, Rodon, Danks, EJ and ? Montas and Fulmer aren't ready so now the Sox have to spend limited funds on a FA pitcher that will not match Q's numbers all the while making the rotation worse. Not a good idea considering the Sox play 81 games a year in a hitter friendly ball park.

The Sox can sign Freese which takes care of 3B for the next two or three years while the Sox develop or trade for a young 3B. They could (speculating) try using some combination of EJ, Montas, Micah, Sanchez, Avi in a trade with the Marlins for Dee Gordon or Marcel Ozuna without taking much of a hit on ML talent. If the Sox got Gordon somehow, he takes SS. If the Sox get Ozuna, he takes over RF. Either way, the lineup and defense improve without the cost of ML talent or losing Q.

Point is, there are other options the Sox can explore besides the idea of trading Q. Imo, the Sox are exploring other options and is one reason why they are still forming a plan. Rumors of EJ being on the trade block kinda goes along with what I'm getting at. For the Sox, I think the idea of trading Q is more of a fall back option if they cannot get other plans/ideas to fall into place.

I'm not against trading Q, just not as willing as other fans. Just my perspective is all.

you make a nice counter point, but the sox are handicap with what they can spend on the FA's.... but as you said, the sox trade Q, who will the sox replace him in the starting rotation??? it is a vicious circle this team is in this off season.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
you make a nice counter point, but the sox are handicap with what they can spend on the FA's.... but as you said, the sox trade Q, who will the sox replace him in the starting rotation??? it is a vicious circle this team is in this off season.

Limited funds is why the money should be spent on hitting and not replacing Q.

While trading Q could plug a few holes, it opens up a huge hole in the rotation. After Sale and Rodon, the rotation is shaky at best with Danks, EJ and some unknown.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)

IMO, one should ask when does Q need to be replaced? Are the Sox contenders next year? If not, does he really need to be replaced?

Trading Q is more about the future than anything.

In a way, 2 years from now, Rodon replaces Q, and Fulmer replaces Rodon.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 02:49 PM)
IMO, one should ask when does Q need to be replaced? Are the Sox contenders next year? If not, does he really need to be replaced?

Trading Q is more about the future than anything.

In a way, 2 years from now, Rodon replaces Q, and Fulmer replaces Rodon.

Well,someone has to fill the void in the rotation. Or should we just not watch those games? ;)

If we're talking two years from now then why not trade Sale while we're at it?

Just because the Sox are likely not contenders next year doesn't mean they cannot be contenders in '17, with Q.

I hate to point this out again, but remember when Jason Castro was good for a season and Sox fans wanted to trade Q for him? I can only imagine the amount of b****ing that would still be going on if that had happened. This is the third off season in a row that some dumbs*** writer has written about trading Q and some fans seemingly took it as gospel.

If anyone truly wants to see how terrible a team mate Puig is read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/book--disdain...-212239227.html

The Sox always seem to make a big deal out of wanting a quality person who is also a quality player. Puig is not a quality person. Even if his talent is a good fit for the Sox the Dodgers would surely have to undersell him to find a taker who should all be highly aware of the major clubhouse headaches they would be getting.

With the Dodger OF aging fast and not really a strength of the team Puig probably stays a Dodger but they will regret it if they miss the playoffs or are eliminated from them early once again.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
Limited funds is why the money should be spent on hitting and not replacing Q.

While trading Q could plug a few holes, it opens up a huge hole in the rotation. After Sale and Rodon, the rotation is shaky at best with Danks, EJ and some unknown.

With a lot of good young talent waiting in the wings.

The goal is not 2016. The team's not winning in 2016.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:12 AM)
If anyone truly wants to see how terrible a team mate Puig is read this: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/book--disdain...-212239227.html

The Sox always seem to make a big deal out of wanting a quality person who is also a quality player. Puig is not a quality person. Even if his talent is a good fit for the Sox the Dodgers would surely have to undersell him to find a taker who should all be highly aware of the major clubhouse headaches they would be getting.

With the Dodger OF aging fast and not really a strength of the team Puig probably stays a Dodger but they will regret it if they miss the playoffs or are eliminated from them early once again.

i believe a lot of his personality of late was vaguely hinted at, esp with asking Jose A opinion discussion.

but i will play devil's advocate here, every time i hear of this kind of story, regardless of the player, i keep reminding myself of the billy martin era with the yanks. how did they manage those distraction.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:39 AM)
With a lot of good young talent waiting in the wings.

The goal is not 2016. The team's not winning in 2016.

but the goal for the FO is to field a team that has a chance to win..... to bring out the fans, make money thru adv... etc...

the sox is in a rough situation this off season. i would like to see how they do it.

let me also add. at this time, before the bonus money and arb money being added, the payroll stands at 90 +/- mil... it was already stated the sox have something like 20 mil to spend.

the watch is on.

tic .... toc .....

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)

Thanks for posting this. Puig is the kind of player the Sox do not need. Way too much bulls*** comes with him.

If Ozzie was still around it might be a different story. :lol:

I would love the Sox to get Puig. Huge core piece, at a most likely a discounted (at least a little) price.

I don't care if every White Sox likes him. The Dodgers have won a lot of games with him supposedly being a huge distraction. So what? This guy has as big of a ceiling as anyone in the game.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)
I would love the Sox to get Puig. Huge core piece, at a most likely a discounted (at least a little) price.

I don't care if every White Sox likes him. The Dodgers have won a lot of games with him supposedly being a huge distraction. So what? This guy has as big of a ceiling as anyone in the game.

Agree. I bet we wouldn't have to deal Q for him and if we did, other pieces would be coming back.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:13 PM)

there is a degree of preferential treatment and it really can tear a team apart. with the sox and the ineptness of RV and how to deal with this distraction, i really think it is a bad idea of getting him.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
there is a degree of preferential treatment and it really can tear a team apart. with the sox and the ineptness of RV and how to deal with this distraction, i really think it is a bad idea of getting him.

Robin can handle him. He's gone toe to toe with Sale. He could go toe to toe with Puig if necessary.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 03:50 PM)
Robin can handle him. He's gone toe to toe with Sale. He could go toe to toe with Puig if necessary.

and he went toe to toe with big frank as teammates. but there is alittle difference between coach and player and manager.

puig would push the limits even with the pope.

nah, passed.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 24, 2015 -> 07:34 PM)
Thanks for posting this. Puig is the kind of player the Sox do not need. Way too much bulls*** comes with him.

If Ozzie was still around it might be a different story. :lol:

Just posted it to show how he thinks he's all that. But I still think the Sox are in such great need of talent that if he's made available at a discounted rate (meaning no Q involved) the Sox should try to get him. Beggars can't be choosers.

But as I said before the Dodgers haven't really shown any inclination to move him in the past and doubtful they would sell him at a discount despite being a problem child. They underestimate his presence affecting the team on the field or just refuse to think it plays any role in how other players perform.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 01:54 PM)
Just posted it to show how he thinks he's all that. But I still think the Sox are in such great need of talent that if he's made available at a discounted rate (meaning no Q involved) the Sox should try to get him. Beggars can't be choosers.

But as I said before the Dodgers haven't really shown any inclination to move him in the past and doubtful they would sell him at a discount despite being a problem child. They underestimate his presence affecting the team on the field or just refuse to think it plays any role in how other players perform.

Not sure the Sox have much to offer that the Dodgers need, which is pitching. Take Sale, Q and Rodon out of the mix and its difficult to see a matchup.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Not sure the Sox have much to offer that the Dodgers need, which is pitching. Take Sale, Q and Rodon out of the mix and its difficult to see a matchup.

Well, put them (Sale or Q) in the mix and do a blockbuster. the Sox are going to have to break something up to change direction. It's nice to have Sale and Q but they need a supporting cast. And we have some young pitchers coming up.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Well, put them (Sale or Q) in the mix and do a blockbuster. the Sox are going to have to break something up to change direction. It's nice to have Sale and Q but they need a supporting cast. And we have some young pitchers coming up.

Don't see a blockbuster happening with the Dodgers. They have been very reluctant to trade their top prospects since before the trade deadline when it was first written about and if we're talking about trading Sale or Q, the Sox will certainly be looking for at least a few of those top prospects.

As far as I'm concerned, they can keep Puig and the Sox keep Sale/Q.