Ben Zobrist

BlackSox13

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/12/ben-...60-million.html

"Ben Zobrist‘s projected price tag “keeps going up,” tweets Yahoo’s Jeff Passan, who hears from clubs involved in his market that the demand for his services has the price sitting at four years and $60MM currently. That price could still rise, says Passan. That he says the current price tag is about $60MM over four years would indicate that no club has approached that level just yet, although given the sheer number volume of teams that Zobrist could help, it’s easy to see how competition could push his eventual contract beyond that level."

So Sox fans. Anyone still interested in Zobrist? I say thanks but absolutely no thanks.

Edited by BlackSox13

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 06:48 AM)

"Ben Zobrist‘s projected price tag “keeps going up,” tweets Yahoo’s Jeff Passan, who hears from clubs involved in his market that the demand for his services has the price sitting at four years and $60MM currently. That price could still rise, says Passan. That he says the current price tag is about $60MM over four years would indicate that no club has approached that level just yet, although given the sheer number volume of teams that Zobrist could help, it’s easy to see how competition could push his eventual contract beyond that level."

So Sox fans. Anyone still interested in Zobrist? I say thanks but absolutely no thanks.

I'll contrast him to Victor Martinez. I hated the idea of signing V-Mart at a very similar age and price last offseason. Zobrist is different in that he is not coming off a career year and he is not restricted to one (non-)position. He's the anti-Martinez.

I have to wonder if the decline in his defensive numbers last year was real and age-based, or just a blip. But his bat has always been really good and I expect it to stay good. In a vacuum I'd be okay with 4/$60 for him, but the state of the Sox should have them avoiding old guys in general.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)
I'll contrast him to Victor Martinez. I hated the idea of signing V-Mart at a very similar age and price last offseason. Zobrist is different in that he is not coming off a career year and he is not restricted to one (non-)position. He's the anti-Martinez.

I have to wonder if the decline in his defensive numbers last year was real and age-based, or just a blip. But his bat has always been really good and I expect it to stay good. In a vacuum I'd be okay with 4/$60 for him, but the state of the Sox should have them avoiding old guys in general.

If the Sox were one or two players shy of contending then Zobrist would make sense but even then, signing a 35 year old to a 4 year deal worth 60M is still a bit steep for me. At some point Zobrist will start to decline and that's the point fans will regret the signing. That of course is based on a 4/60 contract. Less years would be more appealing given his age.

Eh, there's still plenty of upside in that Zobrist deal. It's predicated on him being a useful (read: good) defender at multiple positions again, but my hunch is that he won't fall off a cliff as he hits his upper 40's like a lot of guys.

His OBP has never been lower than .346 since becoming full-time. He just hits.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)

when a guy is 35 I'm not sure you can write off declining defense as a blip. Father time catches up with everyone. He might have 1 year left as the guy who can play anywhere, but I'd be very afraid I was signing a 2B only for 3 years $45M. Zobrist's bat is good, but not sure it's that good heading into his twilight years

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 09:35 AM)
when a guy is 35 I'm not sure you can write off declining defense as a blip. Father time catches up with everyone. He might have 1 year left as the guy who can play anywhere, but I'd be very afraid I was signing a 2B only for 3 years $45M. Zobrist's bat is good, but not sure it's that good heading into his twilight years

I think it's more about what kind of shape you're in. If guys who can only play infield and guys who can only play outfield can play until they're almost 40, why can't a guy who does both continue to do both?

I'm not advocating the signing of him but just thought I'd bring that point up.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
I think it's more about what kind of shape you're in. If guys who can only play infield and guys who can only play outfield can play until they're almost 40, why can't a guy who does both continue to do both?

I'm not advocating the signing of him but just thought I'd bring that point up.

How many guys are still playing good defense past 35 though? I can't think of many. Declining athletic ability is 100% inevitable and usually starts at around 35. Maybe Zobrist continues for longer, but you'd be betting against a lot of history of the opposite.

And I'm not trying to imply that Zobrist is suddenly going to be useless or anything like that, but his days of being a + defender at almost any position are very numbered in my opinion. But then again, if Daniel Murphy is going to get paid 15+M per year, Zobrist probably should too. But in the end I wouldn't sign either so I guess it all depends on personal opinion.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 2, 2015 -> 04:48 AM)

Not a surprise. Mlbtraderumors last month predicted 3 years and $51 million for him. I've said all along, he'll get 4 years. Every team in baseball would be improved by him. Only one needs to offer 4 years.

If they're actually trying to contend this year and next (which I think they should), I'd have no problem with that IF they can get him to play 3rd base for at least a couple years. It's free agency. It's the convenience store. Everything is an overpay that may well look bad in the final year, but the Sox have no other albatross contracts and 4 years is not crippling. If the Sox are patching over 3rd base with David Freese or Brett Lawrie, they better be making big offensive improvements elsewhere, otherwise there's no point.

Edited by Vance Law

I think the Sox and Zobrist make zero sense. If we are going to try and contend, I hope it is because we are aggressive and adding players who can not only help us next year but 2-3 years down the road as well. Signing Zobrist to this type of deal just puts us in a worse position when the probability to be competitive is higher and thus I'm not interested. He's a good fit for some teams but he isn't a good fit for us.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:14 AM)
Good, I'm glad a team is willing to give Zobrist a four year deal because I sure as hell would not commit four years to a 34 year old "super utility" player. Considering the state of the Sox, that money could be much better spent elsewhere.

Super utility guy has been under a 5.0 WAR only twice since 2008.

He, at least saber metrically, has been one of the better players in baseball for many years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)
Super utility guy has been under a 5.0 WAR only twice since 2008.

He, at least saber metrically, has been one of the better players in baseball for many years.

That's all fine and dandy but how well is he going to play for the duration of the four year contract? Zobrist turns 35 in May.