STAR WARS Everything

Steve9347

I think Vader should have been in the movie more. At least on the beach during the battle outside the base.

Ironically Gareth Edwards directed Godzilla and my biggest complaint of that movie was that he didn't use Godzilla enough.

It took me till the car ride home to realize that K2SO did to Cassian what Han Solo told CP30 to never do... tell him the odds.

I think Vader should have been in the movie more. At least on the beach during the battle outside the base.

Ironically Gareth Edwards directed Godzilla and my biggest complaint of that movie was that he didn't use Godzilla enough.

It took me till the car ride home to realize that K2SO did to Cassian what Han Solo told CP30 to never do... tell him the odds.

If Vader was on the beach he would've died like everyone else did

I though it was good, not great. Liked it better than Episodes 1-3, but I would put it after 4-7. I liked The Force Awakens much better. Partly because it was a fun adventure movie, but also because I had no idea how TFA would end or where it would go. In this movie, we already knew that they would successfully get the plans, and

that nearly everyone would die, otherwise they would have been in Episode 4 and on.

So a lot of the movie I was just waiting for the dots to connect. The action scenes were dope though, and good moral conflict with Gaelin (sp?).

Thought the CGI was pretty lame, although as far as CGI goes, they were both REALLY good, especially Tarkan. Was hoping they would have just done a "from behind" shot of Leia, or a different actress from a distance.

A couple of plot hole questions....

1) Gin (Jin?) adjusted the satellite on the end of the platform in order to send out the data. But then those ships came in and blasted away the platform....which should have then also destroyed the satellite she was about to use to send the plans...so how the hell did the plans get sent?

2) How the f*** did they get down to the beach so fast immediately following the scene above? They were 300 stories up, then were on the ground and hundreds of yards away on the beach. Did they casually take the elevator during a fire fight? And why crawl to the beach on a planet that's about to be wiped out?

1) Gin (Jin?) adjusted the satellite on the end of the platform in order to send out the data. But then those ships came in and blasted away the platform....which should have then also destroyed the satellite she was about to use to send the plans...so how the hell did the plans get sent?

2) How the f*** did they get down to the beach so fast immediately following the scene above? They were 300 stories up, then were on the ground and hundreds of yards away on the beach. Did they casually take the elevator during a fire fight? And why crawl to the beach on a planet that's about to be wiped out?

1. That was just the doohicky that adjusted the satellite not the satellite itself, once she had the new alignment set there was no use for that terminal 2. I assume they were all tryng to escape and figured there would be a ship down below, the beach is where all of the landing pads were. Then they saw the death star ray come in and were like "oh well at least we did our job" and then got vaporized.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
It's still too fresh, but early rankings for me would be:

A New Hope

Empire Strikes Back

Rogue One

Return of The Jedi

Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

Sorry, I can't even put Phantom Menace on here. I really, really don't like that movie.

At first I was going to have R1 4th, but it keeps growing on me after the fact.

Right now I've got...

Empire Strikes Back

Rogue One

A New Hope

The Force Awakens

Revenge of the Sith

Return of the Jedi

Attack of the Clones

The Phantom Menace

It's hard to say that Rogue One is better than even The Force Awakens...it's a smaller scale story that basically connects all the dots, but it doesn't have the "newness" of the original three.

For me, the trilogy from Lucas is almost impossible to beat, but then I grew up watching all those movies in the theatre with my father when they came out. It's a different feeling for those in their 40's, compared to a milennial.

Living in China, it's also hard to not view it from the prism of The Force Awakens being a (relative) box office disappointment in China...so they added Donnie Yuen and Jiang Wen to prop up the ticket sales on January 6 here. Disney is always going to be a profit and family-friendly merchandising machine above all else, but their formula has proven to be successful time and time again. TFA was almost a carbon copy of A New Hope but almost everyone loved it regardless.

As a personal preference, I like/d Felicity Jones more than Daisy Ridley, but that's a minor quibble. If nothing else, this most recent film shows how well the Joseph Campbellian myth works, even with almost completely new characters other than Vader and a couple of CGI Lazaruses.

Edited by caulfield12

Personally, I think this was on par with, if not better than, Empire.

The way the climax unfolded and the stakes kept getting raised higher and higher and higher was legitimately like a roller coaster ride. I couldn't sit still. And the ending was absolute perfection. Cannot wait to see it about 47 more times.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 11:48 PM)
I though it was good, not great. Liked it better than Episodes 1-3, but I would put it after 4-7. I liked The Force Awakens much better. Partly because it was a fun adventure movie, but also because I had no idea how TFA would end or where it would go. In this movie, we already knew that they would successfully get the plans, and

that nearly everyone would die, otherwise they would have been in Episode 4 and on.

So a lot of the movie I was just waiting for the dots to connect. The action scenes were dope though, and good moral conflict with Gaelin (sp?).

Thought the CGI was pretty lame, although as far as CGI goes, they were both REALLY good, especially Tarkan. Was hoping they would have just done a "from behind" shot of Leia, or a different actress from a distance.

A couple of plot hole questions....

Big ole who cares from me :P

But for #1,

that panel could have been solely for the repositioning of the satellite, and once it was in the right position, it didn't matter that it got blown up?

But really... who cares?

The CGI was fine y'all.

She didn't look that bad.

And if that's the type of thing we're criticizing, must have been a f***ing great film. :D

Edited by Reddy

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)
Was reading some stuff on Reddit, and I saw multiple comments o

f "The small cameo's of C-3PO and R2D2 were just not needed

, it's just fan service...."

YOU REALIZE YOU ARE A FAN, RIGHT??? THEY ARE DOING IT FOR YOU. SHUT UP.

Yeah, I was kinda expecting Yoda to show up somewhere, or Obi-Wen Kenobi, but that would have been extremely overdoing it.

The only one I really wanted, and that would have sort of fit was Palpatine. I love that character and was around during that time, but alas.

Palpatine doesnt care. Even Vader really didn't bother with any of this nonsense until it became an opportunity to wipe out the rebel fleet, then he senses his daughter and obviously the whole family drama starts. But really it wasn't until it was too late that the Empire took the threat posed by the Rebels seriously. I mean they wiped out many of their own best troops and pilots because they didn't see much of a use for a conventional army or navy anymore in a post-Death Star galaxy.

It seems deeply irresponsible of the new republic leaders of the force awakens to not have built their own death star. Their containment strategy clearly has failed, if they don't build their own deterrent than they don't care about their people.

QUOTE (Tony @ Dec 17, 2016 -> 12:45 AM)
I'm not joking, the person I was with didn't realize it was CGI (also not a huge Star Wars fan). They realized with the second CGI moment at the end, but not with GMT. I really didn't think it was THAT bad.

Also, the movie was great. Exactly what I expected, told a great story.

Side note, I've wanted to see Vader be a bad ass for so long, and we finally got it.

I didnt realize it either until my buddy told me

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 19, 2016 -> 03:37 PM)
Thats a keen eye. It's come a long way since Episode 1 and the cartoonish bulls***

Well, I mean, you could also tell from context... Peter Cushing has been dead for 20 years. When he first popped up, I figured they were just going to show him for a couple seconds, or only from behind. I was surprised Tarkin had so much screentime and I found it a little distracting. Hit the uncanny valley for me.