Jacob Turner Re-signs with White Sox

GGajewski18

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan 3m3 minutes ago

Source: Jacob Turner, non-tendered yesterday, re-signs with the White Sox for $1.5 million.

So he's still on the 40 man, right? If not, what's the number at now for the 40 man?

Technically he was taken off the 40 man yesterday and put back on today.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 02:07 PM)
So what is the plan for Turner? I'm assuming this is a Major League deal and he is out of options. Is he going to stick in the bullpen or did the Sox work it into his contract that he would accept a demotion at the end of spring training?

These contracts are set up where if he blows in spring training they can release him for a fraction of the contract.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)
What pitchers have the Sox fixed recently or semi recently?

Does Q count?

Otherwise off the top of my head... Hector Noesi's brief flirtation with competence, Zach Putnam has probably done more here than expected, that's all I got at the moment.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 08:46 PM)
What pitchers have the Sox fixed recently or semi recently?

but the idea has always been get a pitcher who can be fix, for the baseball season. so the team does not have to go and spend money or prospects to get a better pitcher.

very rarely does the pitcher goes beyond 2 yrs.... some flame after 1 or 2 season, but it save resource in that yr or second yr.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 04:09 PM)
but the idea has always been get a pitcher who can be fix, for the baseball season. so the team does not have to go and spend money or prospects to get a better pitcher.

very rarely does the pitcher goes beyond 2 yrs.... some flame after 1 or 2 season, but it save resource in that yr or second yr.

I get that. Makes sense. But they are really scraping the bottom for these guys and haven't done much with them over last 2 years.

Putnam is their best example ( but it pales in comparison to, say, what Astros did with scrap heap McHugh). Noesi was Coopers handpicked project. Hope likes Korea. And then we see what he did with Samardzija.

Q wasn't fixed. He pitched well for Yanks-they just made a bad move and the Sox a savvy move.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 4, 2015 -> 01:47 PM)
I get that. Makes sense. But they are really scraping the bottom for these guys and haven't done much with them over last 2 years.

Putnam is their best example ( but it pales in comparison to, say, what Astros did with scrap heap McHugh). Noesi was Coopers handpicked project. Hope likes Korea. And then we see what he did with Samardzija.

Q wasn't fixed. He pitched well for Yanks-they just made a bad move and the Sox a savvy move.

i am going to play devils advocate here.

as you mention, bottom feeding.

the success,

the main one for me is Hector the yr before --> no pitching is coming in, Hector Noesi was a surprise and the FO had high hopes for Felipe Paulino who failed. they would have needed to go and get someone to fill in if Hector didn't panned out. yeah they lost money, but sames prospects in trading for help.

now last yr, hector flamed out, however he paid off the yr before, the FO didn't address sp in the offseason, well just b/c. sale got hurt, the sox needed to maybe ruch rodon .... conor failed, so off the scrap heap, Olt was picked.

olt jury is srill out.

putnam as you said.

so this is a limited and short idea of what was saved and what wasn't. it may have given the FO a reprieve for yr 1 but the FO didn't have any plan or idea to do if that success story failed the 2 nd yr.

no backup plan to fall back on, being short sighted in my opinion.