Shelby Miller to Arizona

coco1997

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 02:05 PM)
This is a good point. Just because one GM is stupid enough to do a deal that some executives are calling the "worst trade they've ever seen", doesn't mean that other GMs are now equally as dumb.

That being said, Quintana is a lot more valuable than Miller, so a proposal like that for Q is not at all outrageous like it was for Miller.

I don't want to trade Quintana at all, and I would have been totally happy if we traded Quintana for the Miller package.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 01:20 PM)
In all honesty, if that kind of overpay package still exists for Quintana, it probably only exists from the Red Sox. They have the ammo and a GM who has a history of selling prospects for dudes he likes.

I agree, I don't think DD is done tinkering with that rotation either. It was really bad last season and adding Price is not going to be enough to turn their fortunes around.

In all honesty, if that kind of overpay package still exists for Quintana, it probably only exists from the Red Sox. They have the ammo and a GM who has a history of selling prospects for dudes he likes.

Agreed. And to be honest, if he had to go anywhere, I'd be happy he would go to a place where he'd be overvalued by media.

Agree totally. Dave Dombrowski makes a lot of sense in a case like this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Agree totally. Dave Dombrowski makes a lot of sense in a case like this.

Except Dom is the guy who gets the Ace with the power stuff. I don't see him overpaying for Q. I could see him overpaying for Sale but not Q. Q is quietly one of the best pitchers in baseball and a bargain, but that "quietly" part is going to prevent people from overpaying for him (imo).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
Except Dom is the guy who gets the Ace with the power stuff. I don't see him overpaying for Q. I could see him overpaying for Sale but not Q. Q is quietly one of the best pitchers in baseball and a bargain, but that "quietly" part is going to prevent people from overpaying for him (imo).

He might be underrated and unknown among baseball fans, but I'm pretty positive baseball front offices know how valuable he is. They wouldn't be very good at their jobs if they didn't.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
He might be underrated and unknown among baseball fans, but I'm pretty positive baseball front offices know how valuable he is. They wouldn't be very good at their jobs if they didn't.

Well you have to remember, their is a theory in baseball, power pitching is king and that becomes even more critical in post-season ball. I haven't evaluated the stats but I remember some baseball people saying their is some statistical significance in the fact that power pitchers are more likely to pitch better in the postseason than non power pitchers. A lot of that is probably driven by the fact that power pitchers tend to miss more bats which is an even better thing in the playoffs where the teams tend to have better bats / players.

Yes, people have moved a lot to stats, but if you ask someone who they'd rather have, pitcher A who has Q's stats or pitcher B who has similar stats to Q but throws 98, every one of them will probably tell you Pitcher A (assuming contracts are equal). In fact, in many cases, even if stats were slightly off, they'd take pitcher A because of the "stuff" factor, imo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 01:09 PM)
Always seem to be the case with the White Sox. As soon as we have a val;uable fit to sell, we are told the market isn't good and we can't get anything for them. Then a comparable pitcher gets sold for a huge haul, and we're told that deal doesn't exist anymore.

No kidding, you can include the classic Q would be undervalued because he's not nationally recognized line, or Sale is untradeable because he'll command too much and thus.....is untradeable.

Peopke say it never happens, but that's not true. It just doesn't happen to benefit our team. Hahn just needs that ONE franchise altering trade; that one deal we're not giving fair value. Because these little moves aren't going to cut it. We need a definite push forward, our own Miller trade. I don't believe for a second Hahn even as much as talked with Arizona the last few days. Or SF or LA for that matter. We're too concerned with unloading LaRoche and acquiring Lawrie to do anything else

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 03:44 PM)
Quintana is the type of player that Pittsburgh covets and needs, its amazing that thye have not been attached to him

You would think they would be if the Sox let it known that he were available. I think since we haven't heard of interest from a team like Pit, you know that Sox really aren't looking to make a deal involving Q.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)
You would think they would be if the Sox let it known that he were available. I think since we haven't heard of interest from a team like Pit, you know that Sox really aren't looking to make a deal involving Q.

I don't think Pitt has the ammo to make a Quintana deal with them worthwhile.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 03:57 PM)

He is the perfect pitcher for that park. A lefty who pitches to contact, he can get ground balls and look at the defense behind him. Plus, he can be that perfect compliment to Cole and most importantly, he is young and dirt cheap.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)
I don't think Pitt has the ammo to make a Quintana deal with them worthwhile.

Yeah they do.

Glasnow, Meadows, McGuire, Tucker, Bell, just to name a few.

The Pirates have one of the best farms in all of baseball

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 10:57 PM)

very true, i think that would be the case until yesterday trades.... Azl-Atl and Chi-Oak.

things may have chg/