Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
Wonder if the Sox are in better position now to go for Upton. Offer him a 5 year deal averaging say 23 million a year, with opt-outs after the 3rd/4th/5th years. Would fit the Sox 2-3 year window and allow Upton to re-enter free agency as early as age 31 I believe.

I like the idea alot. Funny thing about this off season is that it's coming full circle. Going into the off season the Sox were said to be after Upton, then it was Gordon, then Cespedes and it would seem the Sox attention could or maybe even has turned back to Upton.

If the Sox are to sign one of the three I would hope it's Upton. Given his age I think his health and performance could hold up better over the life of the contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but if the White Sox need to "backload" a deal to take advantage of the ending of LaRoche and Danks's contracts after 2016, that makes offering an "opt out" basically worthless because the player would have given up a huge amount of money by backloading it.

I would front load it then, a la Heyward, so the player gets his jack up front and basically bets on himself to earn more by opting out on the heels of 3 productive years.

I'm really not that worried. It's a buyers market right now. More outfielders then teams are in desperate for. There's teams out there with some money to spend but seems everyone is just sitting back waiting for the market to fall to them. Orioles are more interested in Davis and have reports that they won't touch a really high amount for Cespedes. Royals are the other really team on gordon with maybe the cards laying back. Hot stove on mlb said that giants could be out there but said maybe they might be better with fowler. Fowler could bring the cf defense and play LF then slide over to cf when pagan leaves next year. Sox are really ones to be fully linked to the outfielders recently. Have to imagine they get one.

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/whit...hree-years.html

Did anyone else besides me notice that Upton is mentioned just briefly in this article? It makes me wonder if he's the guy the Sox really want.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
I like the idea alot. Funny thing about this off season is that it's coming full circle. Going into the off season the Sox were said to be after Upton, then it was Gordon, then Cespedes and it would seem the Sox attention could or maybe even has turned back to Upton.

If the Sox are to sign one of the three I would hope it's Upton. Given his age I think his health and performance could hold up better over the life of the contract.

Upton definitely fits the younger player profile that Hahn has touted, and Sox would feel better positioned to be paying for prime production years. Obviously it's a bit more of a gamble for Cespedes and Gordon due to the age difference.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:57 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/whit...hree-years.html

Did anyone else besides me notice that Upton is mentioned just briefly in this article? It makes me wonder if he's the guy the Sox really want.

Yep, I noticed that too. I also noticed that Nightengale's tweet of only offering 3 years was specific to Cespedes/Gordon and not Upton. It could mean the Sox are willing to go longer with Upton and imo, they are.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)

I'm in on Upton.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 05:45 PM)
I'm in on Upton.

Right on. I haven't liked the idea of signing Cespedes or Gordon due to the length of contracts and salaries they seek. To be honest, I'm not even a fan of signing Upton but given his age, power, speed and ability to play RF I would be fine with paying him the big bucks because I think he could actually live up to his long term deal. I've opened up to the idea of Upton, initially I wanted nothing to do with him either.

If its true that the Sox aren't willing to go beyond three years for Gordon or Cespedes then I applaud them and feel they are doing the right thing. Since Cespedes is 30, a fourth year option wouldn't the worst thing in the world but I would definitely not go more than three years with Gordon.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 06:11 PM)
If its true that the Sox aren't willing to go beyond three years for Gordon or Cespedes then I applaud them and feel they are doing the right thing. Since Cespedes is 30, a fourth year option wouldn't the worst thing in the world but I would definitely not go more than three years with Gordon.

100% agree with this on both Gordon and Cespedes, even if it means they end up missing out on either guy. Unless it means Upton, I'd rather use the resources on other options, that specifically don't require the loss of a draft pick.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
How do you know that for sure unless you work in the Sox FO?

I'm hoping you're right, but I'm not banking on it.

Right now agents and teams leak things to the media for leverage.

Question is who leaked this? Sounds like the agent to me.

Edited by SouthSideSale

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:10 PM)
How do you know that for sure unless you work in the Sox FO?

I'm hoping you're right, but I'm not banking on it.

It's one thing to tell an agent - we're not willing to do 5 years... It's an entirely different thing to say that and then back it up with a release through press that you're only wanting a 3 year deal.

Makes said agent more willing to come back and meet in the middle.

Just standard business, folks.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
It's one thing to tell an agent - we're not willing to do 5 years... It's an entirely different thing to say that and then back it up with a release through press that you're only wanting a 3 year deal.

Yes. Exactly.

FWIW,

I have yet to meet one person within baseball's media who respects anything Bob has to say...

Have spoken with two different people tonight within the industry who have both said to act like he didn't even say it.

One of the guys never has anything bad to say about anyone, so that was a first for him.

Edited by SoCalSox

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 07:16 PM)
My guess is Cespedes wants 5 years and the Sox want 4 years. It's a good sign that they are playing media games and Abreu is "recruiting." It means the Sox really want him and aren't just going to walk away like they did with Tanaka.

Kenny gets his man, remember that.

I'm guessing that Cespedes actually wants 6 and the Sox would go 5. I bet Gordon wants 5 and Sox would go 4. It's negotiating. Chris Cotillo said the other day that Sox are looking at 4-5 year deal

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 06:38 PM)

This actually makes a lot of sense.

I hope Hahn is thinking like this and tries to convince one of these guys to settle in the middle as far as the duration of the contract goes.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 07:38 PM)

So this was the White sox through Nightengale?

QUOTE (blackmooncreeping @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 06:15 PM)
100% agree with this on both Gordon and Cespedes, even if it means they end up missing out on either guy. Unless it means Upton, I'd rather use the resources on other options, that specifically don't require the loss of a draft pick.

The draft pick is another thing I don't like about the idea of signing Gordon. 3 picks in the first 2 rounds would be a really nice boost to a farm that could use it. However, for a 28 year old Upton I wouldn't mind losing the Samardzija comp pick.. One of the things I like about Cespedes besides his power/fielding/arm is that there's no comp pick attached so if the Sox were to sign him, he's an immediate boost to the lineup and the Sox still pick 3 times in the first two rounds come June.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 09:38 PM)
The draft pick is another thing I don't like about the idea of signing Gordon. 3 picks in the first 2 rounds would be a really nice boost to a farm that could use it. However, for a 28 year old Upton I wouldn't mind losing the Samardzija comp pick.. One of the things I like about Cespedes besides his power/fielding/arm is that there's no comp pick attached so if the Sox were to sign him, he's an immediate boost to the lineup and the Sox still pick 3 times in the first two rounds come June.

I'd really feel good about our offseason if we got Frazier, Lawrie and Cespedes and still have 3 top 50 picks.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Jan 1, 2016 -> 08:42 PM)
I'd really feel good about our offseason if we got Frazier, Lawrie and Cespedes and still have 3 top 50 picks.

Along with not trading too many prospects. Micah had no position, who knows what Trayce will be, and Montas I still believe will end up a reliever. And the other guys we traded for Lawrie I didn't really care about.