2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
Why is everyone assuming that Rubio won't tack back to the middle on other equally important social issues like immigration were he to be the nominee?

Rubio keeps repeating that Obama line for the same reason everyone says certain things in primary season and then differentiates themselves for the general.

Finally, what is the actual likelihood Roe vs. Wade is ever overturned?

What of Rubio's voting record screams to you moderate other than immigration. You have no ground here that there is any overlap between sanders voters and Rubio voters. You just wanted to write a list.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe 50% was pushing it just to provoke a reaction, but 25% of those Sanders supporters 1) not voting or 2) possibly crossing party lines by the first Tuesday in November isn't an impossible outcome.

And, yes, it's possible these Republicans will do something during the general campaign (especially Trump) to turn nearly every woman against them regardless of how bad Hillary's campaign is run or how flawed she is as a candidate.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 10:19 PM)
You know...I don't really get it. A lot of what Greg has said is actually true. Have you guys watched a lot of the clips. Most of the time I watch any coverage on the election, I just roll my eyes at the absurd arguments made on both sides of the court. You all do realize the vast majority of people who vote know nothing other than some slight aspects from what the media says and more often are going to go and vote based upon party and likeability. For example, someone just not liking someone because of there look is a total normal reason to not vote for someone or how they carry themselves.

History has shown how superficial voters are and yet all of you want to ignore those facts. I have talked to numerous people who like trump purely because they here the media say he tells it like it is. None of them know what he actually is saying, he just "tells it like it is". Thats it. You all give people too much damn credit to be frank. And maybe someone will whine and say, well now we are smarter, no we aren't, Howard Dean's speach ended his campaign (did he have other issues, sure, but that one speech sure has hell torpedoed any remaining odds he had and it isn't like he said anything bad).

Plus lets be realists, I could make an argument that Trump (and I think by now, all of you know I don't like Trump) is the most selfless of everyone in this campaign as he's the only one who hasn't been totally bought out (of course I'd also tell you he has a gargantuan ego and that is probably more to do with him running). They are all selfish candidates who have all kind of interests with gigantic egos. Anyone thinks otherwise is delusional. The potential exception to this is Sanders, who genuinely seems passionate about what he wants to do (and I'll give him credit for that) and is an extremely rare candidate from that regard.

Thank you Chisoxfn!

To get an esteemed moderator to back what I've been saying is a true honor. This proves that not everybody disagrees with my posts. I am not always wrong, folks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 12:24 AM)
Thank you Chisoxfn!

To get an esteemed moderator to back what I've been saying is a true honor. This proves that not everybody disagrees with my posts. I am not always wrong, folks.

Just 99% of the time.

Bernie Sanders is the man on the Democratic side. Let's face it. If he was 10 years younger he'd be a LOCK. He's just a little bit old.

He won big tonight, folks.

I've been watching the post election shows and I've heard words like "desperate" regarding Hillary. I'm just repeating what I've heard. They said because of the African American support, she still is a lock to be the Democratic candidate, but the pundits are still questioning her bizarre screaming of her speeches and her desperate attitude, blaming a right wing conspiracy today.

My only hope as a Hillary dis-liker, is that the FBI accuses her of a crime and charges are filed and b.) this African American vote is not a done deal. I'd prefer a Bernie vs. Trump election or even better Biden or somebody else decides to run and be the Demcratic nominee after all.

Even Hillary supporters have to admit tonight was not a good result for Hillary Rodham Clinton.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 12:50 AM)
Bernie Sanders is the man on the Democratic side. Let's face it. If he was 10 years younger he'd be a LOCK. He's just a little bit old.

He won big tonight, folks.

I've been watching the post election shows and I've heard words like "desperate" regarding Hillary. I'm just repeating what I've heard. They said because of the African American support, she still is a lock to be the Democratic candidate, but the pundits are still questioning her bizarre screaming of her speeches and her desperate attitude, blaming a right wing conspiracy today.

My only hope as a Hillary dis-liker, is that the FBI accuses her of a crime and charges are filed and b.) this African American vote is not a done deal. I'd prefer a Bernie vs. Trump election or even better Biden or somebody else decides to run and be the Demcratic nominee after all.

Even Hillary supporters have to admit tonight was not a good result for Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The country has never tried left-wing politics before. I'd like to see it but it's never happened. I don't think that changes this year.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 08:49 AM)
The country has never tried left-wing politics before. I'd like to see it but it's never happened. I don't think that changes this year.

If Illinois / Chicago is any example, count me out. If California is an example, again, count me out.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 10:50 AM)
If Illinois / Chicago is any example, count me out. If California is an example, again, count me out.

California managed to finally get its budget situation back in line once Democrats got supermajorities in the state legislature. Progressive Minnesota is kicking butt in the upper Midwest.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 11:51 AM)
Sanders beats Clinton by 20+ percentage points. But thanks to the super-delegate system, Clinton actually won more delegates, 15-13. Totally messed up system.

The super delegates were put in place to that the party still has some control over the nomination process. They can and do change, though. IIRC Clinton had a huge lead in SD's in 2008 as well, but they slowly started to shift to Obama as the race went on.

edit: I can't imagine a situation where the DNC uses the super delegate power to override popular support for another candidate that turns out well for them, though. Imagine that the only reason Clinton gets the nomination is because she held on to enough super delegates while Sanders actually won primary after primary. How many Sanders supporters would turn out to vote for Clinton in November versus being justifiably angry at the Democratic Party leadership?

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
California managed to finally get its budget situation back in line once Democrats got supermajorities in the state legislature. Progressive Minnesota is kicking butt in the upper Midwest.

Lol. California is a joke. Budget might have improved but that had a lot more to do with the improvement of the overall economy than anything any party did.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 12:02 PM)
The super delegates were put in place to that the party still has some control over the nomination process. They can and do change, though. IIRC Clinton had a huge lead in SD's in 2008 as well, but they slowly started to shift to Obama as the race went on.

edit: I can't imagine a situation where the DNC uses the super delegate power to override popular support for another candidate that turns out well for them, though. Imagine that the only reason Clinton gets the nomination is because she held on to enough super delegates while Sanders actually won primary after primary. How many Sanders supporters would turn out to vote for Clinton in November versus being justifiably angry at the Democratic Party leadership?

Right, when it became clear Obama was inevitable suddenly they changed to him. They may be useful to prevent a brokered convention in that way.

I think, on its face, they are very stupid. But, I kind of like having it in the back pocket if a trump like insurgent ever happens on dem side.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 11:13 AM)
Right, when it became clear Obama was inevitable suddenly they changed to him. They may be useful to prevent a brokered convention in that way.

I think, on its face, they are very stupid. But, I kind of like having it in the back pocket if a trump like insurgent ever happens on dem side.

If the majority speaks, the majority speaks. Would seem odd to have the delegates go a different way (this differs from say a general election where you have the various states because I will always argue if the format changed to where it was total popular vote, you might get differences from the reality). For example a republican in CA may not vote because it doesn't matter where a democrat in a red state could do something similar.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 01:20 PM)
If the majority speaks, the majority speaks.

It applies a lot of pressure though for candidate to take their campaign through a lot of primaries. That's a money suck.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 10, 2016 -> 12:01 PM)

:wub: :wub: :headbang :headbang

$1.2 billion budget surplus. Consistently ranked at the top of any quality-of-life metrics.

I actually want to move back to Chicago to be nearer to family, but in a perfect world all my family would just move here. Minnesota is great.