2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:02 PM)
Arguing politics is fruitless, but do you guys know what you are saying? Not to be a party pooper but Obama's tenure has seen the ultimate destruction of the middle class (the era of the layoff, furlough, salary cut, total change in businesses' relationship with workers; who the hell is hiring???) as well as close to a new social revolution in terms of shootings, disturbances in cities, race relation problems escalating.

Inability to get any government consensus. He's one helluva likeable guy and a great speaker but I think he's been a disaster in terms of President. As a person? Great person, great speaker, appears to be nicest guy ever and that's very important in life, but you guys IMO are drinking the Democratic koolaid so to speak.

Economically? Are you and your friends better off now than you were 10 years ago? I think the Average Joe is living paycheck to paycheck and one bad business decision from being homeless. Why the Obama love?

disclaimer: I have the right to my opinion on politics as much as any of you Obama supporters who probably want me banned over this post.

Infinitely better than 10 years ago.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:44 AM)

Honestly, how far back do you have to go to get a President better than Obama?

He beats out Clinton, both Bushes, Reagan, Carter, Ford and Nixon handidly.

LBJ has the Civil Rights movement, but he has Vietnam.

Dwight would be a good argument. Truman as well. Obviously FDR is often regarded as a Top 3 president, so it couldn't get past him.

Reagan? What are you talking about? Most Republicans I know consider him to be the greatest president there ever was. It doesn't matter that he defunded the mental hospitals allowing many mentally ill back on the streets. It doesn't matter that he allowed his wife to have a war on drugs that overpopulated our jails with people who did nothing but commit petty crimes. It doesn't matter that his economic policies led to a great recession. It doesn't matter that he funded terrorist. It doesn't matter that he refused to even acknowledge the HIV/AIDS epidemic until years later after thousands of deaths. Ignore all that and yeah, he was the best.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 09:06 PM)
Infinitely better than 10 years ago.

What about 50 of your closest relatives and friends? IMO many middle class people are walking on eggshells trying to stay afloat.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 03:02 PM)
Arguing politics is fruitless, but do you guys know what you are saying? Not to be a party pooper but Obama's tenure has seen the ultimate destruction of the middle class (the era of the layoff, furlough, salary cut, total change in businesses' relationship with workers; who the hell is hiring???) as well as close to a new social revolution in terms of shootings, disturbances in cities, race relation problems escalating.

Inability to get any government consensus. He's one helluva likeable guy and a great speaker but I think he's been a disaster in terms of President. As a person? Great person, great speaker, appears to be nicest guy ever and that's very important in life, but you guys IMO are drinking the Democratic koolaid so to speak.

Economically? Are you and your friends better off now than you were 10 years ago? I think the Average Joe is living paycheck to paycheck and one bad business decision from being homeless. Why the Obama love?

disclaimer: I have the right to my opinion on politics as much as any of you Obama supporters who probably want me banned over this post.

Sure, you have the right to your opinion. But when your opinion is backed up by saying many things that are factual incorrect it is no longer just your opinion. It means you are flat out wrong. Pretty much everything you said in your post, other than the comments on his character, are completely and utterly false.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:16 PM)
Greg come on nobody is banning you for that post don't try and hide behind that martyrdom. You are basically trying to shield yourself from contrary opinions with that.

LOL I somehow missed that.

A good number of mods are Republicans or voting libertarian.

Ahahahahahahahahaha.

Are you seriously blaming the President of the United States for how companies treat workers? I think that's been happening for quite a long time. And honestly, it really picked up after the Enron fiasco. More than ever, employees are replaceable commodities. This is why I went freelance. I was sick of it. But I certainly didn't blame the President when I was let fired in '96, or laid off in '02 or '09 or '12. It wasn't Clintons or Bush's or Obama's fault. Businesses look at bottom line, not value of work, well, some do, but overall, they don't. The ultimate destruction of the middle class as you call it started with "trickle down economics" which doesn't work. The reason people get rich is by NOT spending. And when they have it, they want more.

I don't want you banned, I want you informed.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 05:51 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=3407700:date=Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:44 PM:name=Chisoxfn)-->
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
<!--quotec-->I actually like Newt a lot (his policies, etc).

This is why I posted that.

Lolololololololololol

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 08:09 PM)
Yeah, they are as well.

Well, I have to believe you. You guys are thriving. Kansans/Missourians are not.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 08:16 PM)
Greg come on nobody is banning you for that post don't try and hide behind that martyrdom. You are basically trying to shield yourself from contrary opinions with that.

I was pretty negative. You never know if it's deemed a personal attack.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:02 PM)
Are you seriously blaming the President of the United States for how companies treat workers? I think that's been happening for quite a long time. And honestly, it really picked up after the Enron fiasco. More than ever, employees are replaceable commodities. This is why I went freelance. I was sick of it. But I certainly didn't blame the President when I was let fired in '96, or laid off in '02 or '09 or '12. It wasn't Clintons or Bush's or Obama's fault. Businesses look at bottom line, not value of work, well, some do, but overall, they don't. The ultimate destruction of the middle class as you call it started with "trickle down economics" which doesn't work. The reason people get rich is by NOT spending. And when they have it, they want more.

I don't want you banned, I want you informed.

Well I blame him for the stale economy. I think it all adds up.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 01:08 AM)
Kareem with the line of the convention.

"Hello....I'm Michael Jordan......I'm sorry, I meant Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, I said that because I knew Donald Trump couldn't tell the difference."

That's a wild line. I think you are right. That is the line of the convention.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 10:59 PM)
Well, I have to believe you. You guys are thriving. Kansans/Missourians are not.

I was pretty negative. You never know if it's deemed a personal attack.

Well I blame him for the stale economy. I think it all adds up.

That's a wild line. I think you are right. That is the line of the convention.

lol I still live in Missouri.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 12:21 AM)
It really is an incredible piece of footage.

It also may just be our boy Greg. :)

See, Newt argues there like some of us. You think I'm ignoring stats. Newt is going by feel there, with his position. Hey, there is a ton of crime in Chicago and Baltimore and some big cities. I don't know what the FBI stats are, but cmon, America safe? There was a whole story in USA Today recently by the surgeon moving his family to his native country cause ours is so dangerous. Newt is not owned in that clip.

:notworthy

Greg, you nicely block trolls from this site thus fulfilling a vital roll. Your posts can unite liberals and conservatives, Cub fans and Sox fans. :lol: When you take an interest in a forum, reponses jump through the roof. You are not afraid to make the really incomprehensible, no basis in reality comment to keep the discussion moving. Four of you would make this unreadable, but you entertain. I just wish at some point you will drop the charade and post as yourself. I'm guessing you are really a very bright person because it would take someone really smart and clever to keep up this facade.

I also believe you really are a liberal because you set up so many paper tigers which in the end make Obama, Hillary, and the rest of the Dems look good.

I have tried to write this without any hint of sarcasm. It is my current assessment after reading so many of your posts. :cheers

QUOTE (Tex @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 07:09 AM)
:notworthy

Greg, you nicely block trolls from this site thus fulfilling a vital roll. Your posts can unite liberals and conservatives, Cub fans and Sox fans. :lol: When you take an interest in a forum, reponses jump through the roof. You are not afraid to make the really incomprehensible, no basis in reality comment to keep the discussion moving. Four of you would make this unreadable, but you entertain. I just wish at some point you will drop the charade and post as yourself. I'm guessing you are really a very bright person because it would take someone really smart and clever to keep up this facade.

I also believe you really are a liberal because you set up so many paper tigers which in the end make Obama, Hillary, and the rest of the Dems look good.

I have tried to write this without any hint of sarcasm. It is my current assessment after reading so many of your posts. :cheers

That is soooooo spot on. I've noticed this, too.

He's like our Stephen Colbert (the character he plays, not the actual person).

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 28, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
Talking about slaves being well fed and housed is garbage apologia. Former rnc chairman Michael Steele agrees.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelSteele/st...123690039050240

O'Reilly decided that doubling down on "but the slaves were well-fed!" was the best course of action

BillSgFox-1024x521.jpg

(not only is it pretty disgusting standard slavery apologia, it's also factually wrong)

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:36 AM)
O'Reilly decided that doubling down on "but the slaves were well-fed!" was the best course of action

BillSgFox-1024x521.jpg

(not only is it pretty disgusting standard slavery apologia, it's also factually wrong)

You're taking what he's saying and drastically oversimplifying it.

Again, wasn't his point at all.

And Thinkprogress is doing the same thing you are.

Edit: When I watched both of these videos, at no time did I think "he's defending slavery" or saying "it wasn't so bad". You're simply seeing what you want to see.

Edited by Y2HH

I'm seeing a man downplaying the horrors of slavery by claiming, incorrectly, that they were "well-fed" and were given housing. It's what people trying to downplay the horrors of slavery frequently try to do. He's making basically the same argument as this guy.

And that wasn't the worst thing he said. When Smith referred to a letter in which Douglass forgave his former slave master, Terry said, "For what? Feeding and housing him?"

I'm sorry if you don't see it, but at least realize that if at any point in a discussion about slavery, you pipe in with "but at least they were well-fed!", you're going to look like a dumb asshole at best.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:39 AM)
You're taking what he's saying and drastically oversimplifying it.

Again, wasn't his point at all.

And Thinkprogress is doing the same thing you are.

Edit: When I watched both of these videos, at no time did I think "he's defending slavery" or saying "it wasn't so bad". You're simply seeing what you want to see.

You do realize Bill O is a giant racist turd? Sure his words might have been taken out of context but I don't really give him the benefit of the doubt when he's trying to make a statement about race.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 29, 2016 -> 08:45 AM)
I'm seeing a man downplaying the horrors of slavery by claiming, incorrectly, that they were "well-fed" and were given housing. It's what people trying to downplay the horrors of slavery frequently try to do. He's making basically the same argument as this guy.

I'm sorry if you don't see it, but at least realize that if at any point in a discussion about slavery, you pipe in with "but at least they were well-fed!", you're going to look like a dumb asshole at best.

No, you're seeing what you want to see.

He's not claiming that "all slaves" were treated this way. He's also not downplaying the horrors of slavery, either.

You also don't have to apologize to me for not seeing something that isn't there.

You're a typical political ideologue. You'll see evil when and where you want to see it...so long as it's on the right side. (IE, not your side.) Just like the right often do with the left. You're part of a very dangerous issue in with this country right now. You're all or nothing left...you claim everything you think is centrist (it's not), and you claim everything your leftist party does is centrist (it's not).

The retard right is guilty of this same s***, too.