2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
That's implicit in "coalition within the Democratic Party," SHillary supporter!

That's true. But it's a main issue I've had with his campaign.

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2016 -> 09:06 AM)
Bernie Sanders is a walking moral victory.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2016 -> 12:46 PM)
Only if that group continues to utlize the democratic party to build within, rather than just move on to caring about something else and claim it's "corruption" that was the reason they failed not that it's hard work to change a country of 330 million people

I can't agree with these more.

I'm currently seeing my hardcore Berner friends pining for a Sanders/Kasich ticket. Or Jill Stein. Or Gary Johnosn. It is so clearly not about the issues with them anymore. It's about being special.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
I can't agree with these more.

I'm currently seeing my hardcore Berner friends pining for a Sanders/Kasich ticket. Or Jill Stein. Or Gary Johnosn. It is so clearly not about the issues with them anymore. It's about being special.

Eh there were plenty of Hillary PUMA's after the primaries in 2008. They came around.

Sanders/Kasich though, lol. That makes no sense.

I don't know one Bernie Sanders supporter who is calling for a Sanders/Kasich ticket. That would really make no sense.

Sure Sanders/Stein will never happen, but it does make sense as far as policy goes.

Saw four friends today on FB talking about a Sanders/Kasich dream ticket as a 3rd party.

Hopefully it's a situation where one had the idea and then it spread to the others, cause dear lord that is idiotic.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2016 -> 03:07 PM)
Saw four friends today on FB talking about a Sanders/Kasich dream ticket as a 3rd party.

Hopefully it's a situation where one had the idea and then it spread to the others, cause dear lord that is idiotic.

They're just political hipsters who have no actual clue how anything works. But it is pretty funny.

I mean... identifying the problems in American politics really isn't that hard... anyone with an IQ over 90 can do that.

Proactively addressing those problems in a meaningful way, that's the hard part. It takes years of focus and effort, it's not something you just fix with a magic wand in a single election.

This is what Obama's "trudge up the Hill" joke at the WHCD meant, it wasn't really a jab at Hillary. He was acknowledging that she was probably right back in 2008 about how hard it was to get things done, since they have the same basic approach to things.

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 4, 2016 -> 01:01 PM)
Bernie made it farther than a lot of people thought he would, but he doesn't get a participation trophy. He is losing, fair and square, and the main reason has been his campaign strategy.

Fair and square? Let's see. Bernie keeps winning states, gets the most voter support, truly excites the voters and ... gets no mo jo from the victories cause of the media who worship Hillary and the superdelagates. Not fair and square. Bernie has made it a race and nobody gives him any credit.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2016 -> 03:06 PM)
Bernie Sanders is a walking moral victory.

Uh more than a moral victory til you turn on the TV. He wins states.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 4, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
If you ignore the fact that Bernie now needs to win a HIGHER percentage in the remaining contests now than he did before Indiana, then yeah sure I guess it kept him alive.

Reality though, tells a different story, and that story is that he didn't win by ENOUGH to actually keep him alive. After Indiana, he now needs to win about 65% of remaining delegates.

This is more impossible than it was before Indiana.

Indiana was a net win for Hillary.

In reality.

We know. We watch TV and they tell us Hillary really won ... when the vote total percentages say she lost (and the polls). Nice job of the polls to be WRONG again in Indiana. It's all a set up, folks. It's fixed like Trump says.

Remember like three weeks ago how you said you were ignoring everything about the election and you were a happier person and we didn't have to scroll past another Hillary rant? What happened to that?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
Fair and square? Let's see. Bernie keeps winning states, gets the most voter support, truly excites the voters and ... gets no mo jo from the victories cause of the media who worship Hillary and the superdelagates. Not fair and square. Bernie has made it a race and nobody gives him any credit.

Uh more than a moral victory til you turn on the TV. He wins states.

We know. We watch TV and they tell us Hillary really won ... when the vote total percentages say she lost (and the polls). Nice job of the polls to be WRONG again in Indiana. It's all a set up, folks. It's fixed like Trump says.

You understand that simply "winning states" isn't enough for Bernie with how far behind he is, right? He didn't win ENOUGH votes in Indiana to move him closer to winning the nomination, in fact, it became harder after Tuesday night.

This is simple math, my friend, not a conspiracy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2016 -> 04:38 PM)
Fair and square? Let's see.

Bernie keeps winning states,

This is technically true in the same way that the White Sox "won games" last year. But you don't see anyone arguing that the 2015 White Sox deserved to go to the playoffs based on the fact that they technically did win games, plural, that year.

Either way, the point of a primary isn't to "win states," it's to get more delegates, which is not a thing he's doing.

gets the most voter support,

No he doesn't. Clinton has 3 million more votes than him.

truly excites the voters

Sure, but unfortunately, tweets don't count as votes.

and ... gets no mo jo from the victories cause of the media who worship Hillary and the superdelagates. Not fair and square. Bernie has made it a race and nobody gives him any credit.

If Bernie was really winning, the superdelegates would all switch to his side like they did for Obama in '08, but really the only ones who are talking about superdelegates are Bernie and his supporters, and Bernie is talking about appealing to the superdelegates at the convention to take the nomination away by overturning Clinton's legitimately-won pledged delegate lead. If Hillary was that disingenuous (and she was, in fact, in 2008, before realizing it didn't work) Bernie's supporters would be screaming bloody murder.

Look, I supported the guy and pulled for him to win, but the biggest reason Bernie Sanders isn't winning right now is Bernie Sanders., and it's just time to move on If his campaign was good enough, he could've done it, but it wasn't.

QUOTE (shysocks @ May 4, 2016 -> 09:45 PM)
Remember like three weeks ago how you said you were ignoring everything about the election and you were a happier person and we didn't have to scroll past another Hillary rant? What happened to that?

I made the mistake of reading some articles and deciding to turn on the TV finally the night after Bernie won another primary to see if it was safe to turn on the TV that night.

The msnbc panel pulled the same ol, why are we even talking about Indiana, Hillary is storming to the nomination crap, and after 15 minutes I got mad and turned it off again seeing ol Bernie can't get a fair shake. I have stuck to my guns and not listened to a word of anything coming out of Hillary's mouth, turning the radio dial if there was danger of hearing her voice. But like I said I turned on the TV for the first time in a month and paid the price last night. My anger was fueled so I made a few posts last night and today. If they'd talk about her emails more and the odds of her being put on trial, it might be safe for me to watch TV again. But those topics are no/nos on television.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 4, 2016 -> 04:06 PM)
I made the mistake of reading some articles and deciding to turn on the TV finally the night after Bernie won another primary to see if it was safe to turn on the TV that night.

The msnbc panel pulled the same ol, why are we even talking about Indiana, Hillary is storming to the nomination crap, and after 15 minutes I got mad and turned it off again seeing ol Bernie can't get a fair shake. I have stuck to my guns and not listened to a word of anything coming out of Hillary's mouth, turning the radio dial if there was danger of hearing her voice. But like I said I turned on the TV for the first time in a month and paid the price last night. My anger was fueled so I made a few posts last night and today. If they'd talk about her emails more and the odds of her being put on trial, it might be safe for me to watch TV again. But those topics are no/nos on television.

Did you even bother reading anything Lostfan wrote?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 4, 2016 -> 09:17 PM)
Did you even bother reading anything Lostfan wrote?

Of course. He just said what all the experts say when they don't want to discuss this ... Hillary is storming toward the nomination, can't be slowed down no matter what.

He won't discuss what I want to discuss and want the talking heads on TV to discuss.

Like Bernie says, the superdelegates had made up their minds long ago to go for Hillary. His campaign, which could have a ton of momentum if the media didn't scoff at him and continue paying homage to Hillary, could reasonably sway the superdelegates to switch to Bernie. Bernie makes some good points about stuff like that and adds that if the superdelegates switch we could have the biggest upset in the history of politics. The media USUALLY likes a good underdog story ... not here, lol.

I just don't understand why the media refused to allow Bernie fever to catch on. You have to admit, only thing he's missing is media credibility and that won't come. For the life of me I can't understand it. None of you will comment on what I'm saying. You are just doing what they do on TV. Half listen to what a person like me says then scream above the fray, "IT DOESN"T MATTER; HILLARY IS WINNING THE NOMINATION SOON; NONE OF THAT MATTERS."

p.s. I did read something the other day, I wish I remember where, that was bemoaning the lousy candidates. It simply called Hillary "a foul mouthed granny with no new ideas." I laughed at that one.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Tony @ May 5, 2016 -> 03:22 AM)
Ironic you have this strong of opinions on Hillary, especially recently, when you yourself admitted you haven't heard an actual word come out of her mouth in months.

My disdain is from the email thing, and the stuff written about how mean she is to the little people, and the fact she's lied about so much stuff in the past. If she's changed completely in the past 2 months and reinvented herself and become lovable, my bad.

A look at the uphill battle the GOP was facing this year, with or without Trump at the top of the ticket:

NDGwZgQ.jpg

That's giving ®'s a bunch of states that they would struggle to win anyway. The paths to 271 for Republicans are pretty limited.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
A look at the uphill battle the GOP was facing this year, with or without Trump at the top of the ticket:

NDGwZgQ.jpg

That's giving ®'s a bunch of states that they would struggle to win anyway. The paths to 271 for Republicans are pretty limited.

Right, odds are at least good that the Dems will win NM, CO, NV, OH, NH, etc as well. Couple that with the worst GOP candidate in recent history, and... yup.

The politiking of Puerto Rico as some sort of "other" is really making me sad. US should really sell or grant independence to their non-state properties and just buy land for military bases on them. US Samoa, Marshall, Guam, etc. Not fair these places can get so railroaded by crises because out of sight out of mind, and then when they do need help, there is incentive for a party to punish them for their home voters.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
The politiking of Puerto Rico as some sort of "other" is really making me sad. US should really sell or grant independence to their non-state properties and just buy land for military bases on them. US Samoa, Marshall, Guam, etc. Not fair these places can get so railroaded by crises because out of sight out of mind, and then when they do need help, there is incentive for a party to punish them for their home voters.

I thought that there's overwhelming support in PR against independence?

Statehood is always going to face a huge uphill battle because it'd be a guaranteed 2 more Senate seats for Democrats and several House seats as well at the expense of other states.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 5, 2016 -> 10:57 AM)

Trump was talking about this and he kept talking about his business record (irrelevant obviously) and he says well, they have no choice but to declare bankruptcy. Yeah but that's the issue, they CAN'T declare bankruptcy, and he doesn't understand that, like he doesn't understand most things. He's actually leading the party who is blocking the effort to allow them to do so, on behalf of (surprise!) people who are in position to profit off Puerto Rico's debt.