2016 Democratic Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's almost like the topics of the republican debates didn't cover more than a narrow set of issues that didn't let their voters see the breadth of the candidates knowledge.

But we do know who has a big package.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 6, 2016 -> 08:20 AM)
trump floating the idea of defaulting on the national debt

Reminder that the 2nd place GOP nominee and a sizeable minority of their House representatives are also totally on board with this "crash the world economy" plan.

But isn't something like $14 trillion of that $19-20 trillion basically money that's owed to Americans?

I guess the argument would be that if we could devalue our currency that it would give the US a huge export advantage (temporarily)...but then the US dollar would no longer be the respected world currency it is and nobody would ever dare buy US debt/bonds again.

So probably not a great solution there.

The Democratic thread needs to discuss the only real issue. What's Bill going to be like back in the White House? If the two really are kind of estranged it's going to be obvious in their day to day life at the White House.

This is one of those deals where Bill could step up his speaking engagements as a former president and make a helluva lot of money in his aging years. I mean think about the fees he can charge as a former president and now the First Man.

Is Hillary going to listen to him? Shoo him away like a fly on her lapel?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2016 -> 01:35 AM)
The Democratic thread needs to discuss the only real issue. What's Bill going to be like back in the White House? If the two really are kind of estranged it's going to be obvious in their day to day life at the White House.

This is one of those deals where Bill could step up his speaking engagements as a former president and make a helluva lot of money in his aging years. I mean think about the fees he can charge as a former president and now the First Man.

Is Hillary going to listen to him? Shoo him away like a fly on her lapel?

The only real issue he says. I love that if I cover the name, I can always tell a greg post. :)

First of all, it would look completely inappropriate for him to take exorbidant speaking fees as "First Man."

They probably should put all the Clinton Foundation investments in a blind trust.

Which husband and wife got along best in the White House? The Carters...probably the worst presidency of the modern era.

It would be idiotic for Hilary not to take advantage of his insight and experience...that said, MANY things have changed in the sixteen years since he was last president. He looks frailer, weaker and less energetic. Can still give a great stump speech, far better than his wife, but that's not exactly a high standard to meet.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
First of all, it would look completely inappropriate for him to take exorbidant speaking fees as "First Man."

They probably should put all the Clinton Foundation investments in a blind trust.

Which husband and wife got along best in the White House? The Carters...probably the worst presidency of the modern era.

It would be idiotic for Hilary not to take advantage of his insight and experience...that said, MANY things have changed in the sixteen years since he was last president. He looks frailer, weaker and less energetic. Can still give a great stump speech, far better than his wife, but that's not exactly a high standard to meet.

Most would argue this is the ONLY reason she is in this position. Her only "qualification" for Senate, SoS, or the frickin Presidency of the Free World was that she was the emotionally abused wife of a President. She better kiss his feet every morning and listen to every damn word he has to say since he's the only reason she skipped to the front of the line. Nepotism scares me in this election- power is easily abused when one doesn't earn it justly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 6, 2016 -> 08:38 PM)
But isn't something like $14 trillion of that $19-20 trillion basically money that's owed to Americans?

I guess the argument would be that if we could devalue our currency that it would give the US a huge export advantage (temporarily)...but then the US dollar would no longer be the respected world currency it is and nobody would ever dare buy US debt/bonds again.

So probably not a great solution there.

It's not devaluing the currency, it's about defaulting on the bonds to "get a better deal."

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 7, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)

Most would argue this is the ONLY reason she is in this position. Her only "qualification" for Senate, SoS, or the frickin Presidency of the Free World was that she was the emotionally abused wife of a President. She better kiss his feet every morning and listen to every damn word he has to say since he's the only reason she skipped to the front of the line. Nepotism scares me in this election- power is easily abused when one doesn't earn it justly.

"most would argue..." yea there were a lot of people that hated her becauae she was a poltically involved first lady.

Keep in mind we are talking about a Yale educated lawyer that started her career in political service as a congressional legal aid. That she benefits from name recognition is without doubt but that's the case with many of our politicians including the bushs, kennedys, rockefellers, roosevelts, and more.

But there are also no qualifications for president aside from age and citizenship, but if there were, brilliant and well educated on policy would be two strong ones.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)

Agreed. It is weird that when I think of Bill I think happy thoughts. WHenI think of Hillary ... I don't need to go there. But it's weird I love one of the two so much and don't like the other.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 7, 2016 -> 01:48 PM)
Agreed. It is weird that when I think of Bill I think happy thoughts. WHenI think of Hillary ... I don't need to go there. But it's weird I love one of the two so much and don't like the other.

Yes. It is weird. But you don't like the way Hillary speaks. And you think she's "mean" (without, of course, the same scrutiny for the way Trump treats others). So I have a feeling that your position on the Clintons has zero to do with substance and everything to do with "judging a book by its cover."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 7, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
It's not devaluing the currency, it's about defaulting on the bonds to "get a better deal."

I saw a full story today.

Apparently, he wants to negotiate a better rate on the bonds (giving investors a "haircut" as they say)...haven't seen a single economist who agrees with this tactic. His argument for doing so relates to how he did the same thing with creditors during his four previous bankruptcy filings...well, because the biggest economy in the world works exactly like his companies, at least in his mind.

Certainly, it would push up interest rates on debt to much higher rates than 1.5-2.0% That's obvious.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 7, 2016 -> 04:46 PM)
Yes. It is weird. But you don't like the way Hillary speaks. And you think she's "mean" (without, of course, the same scrutiny for the way Trump treats others). So I have a feeling that your position on the Clintons has zero to do with substance and everything to do with "judging a book by its cover."

And we can use that argument too with George W. Bush never having become president without riding on the coattails and connections of the father...even though he ran away from him as president in big decisions.

Of course, Greg's argument would be that nepotism is bad in general...Adams/John Quincy Adams, etc.

Nepotism is bad! As seen by my example of one of Americas greatest secretary's of state becoming president, and going on to become one of the leaders of the abolitionist movement.

Great argument.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 7, 2016 -> 06:04 PM)
Nepotism is bad! As seen by my example of one of Americas greatest secretary's of state becoming president, and going on to become one of the leaders of the abolitionist movement.

Great argument.

Well, in all fairness, JQ Adam wasn't a very good president...he was much more effective as secretary of state under Monroe.

To most Americans now, he's more famous due to the Amistad movie by Spielberg.

At any rate, generally people no longer feel there should be "dynasties" (see reception to Jeb Bush this election season) and most in the Democratic Party would prefer Liz Warren to Hilary as president, but it is what it is at this point...it's no longer about electing a woman or supporting the Clintons as it is about defeating Trumpism.

If she were eligible (and I think she's 34 still), I would much prefer Ivanka to Donald Trump, fwiw. Now that would be interesting!

And Greg's pushing the idea of Chelsea Clinton running some day isn't that far fetched. Unfortunately for her, she's more like her mother in terms of likability than her father.

Of course, you have the Kennedys on the other side of the spectrum. The one who everyone expected to be president when they were all young died in World War II...meanwhile, John, Robert F. Kennedy (might have had two presidents if not for June, 1968) and eventually Ted/Edward (most prolific and successful Senate legislator in the last 50 years) go against that argument. Of course, if you're a Republican, you absolutely hated the Kennedys and everything they represent.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2016 -> 02:41 PM)

Why? Should he speak for free? He's still a former President even though he's going to be First Man.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 7, 2016 -> 08:13 PM)
"But there are also no qualifications for president aside from age and citizenship, but if there were, brilliant and well educated on policy would be two strong ones.

Brilliant? I don't know if she's more special than most people in politics. She doesn't strike me as brilliant.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ May 7, 2016 -> 11:46 PM)

I've heard a lot of s*** on TV about superficial stuff. Chris Matthews was going on about Hillary's style. You think Trump's hair hasn't been talked about? What about Bush's voice? The heh heh heh mimicks on SNL. Ford being a clutz clown. If I think Hillary is screaming and talking down to me, it's not just me thinking that.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 8, 2016 -> 11:17 AM)
And Greg's pushing the idea of Chelsea Clinton running some day isn't that far fetched. Unfortunately for her, she's more like her mother in terms of likability than her father.

Finally somebody sees how Chelsea WILL run someday. And we know one thing, if she runs, she wins, especially if she uses the next 8 years to bolster her resume a little bit. It's our country people that let Hillary know they'd support her as the one to replace Obama. It's her turn and all that.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2016 -> 02:44 PM)
Why? Should he speak for free? He's still a former President even though he's going to be First Man.

Brilliant? I don't know if she's more special than most people in politics. She doesn't strike me as brilliant.

I've heard a lot of s*** on TV about superficial stuff. Chris Matthews was going on about Hillary's style. You think Trump's hair hasn't been talked about? What about Bush's voice? The heh heh heh mimicks on SNL. Ford being a clutz clown. If I think Hillary is screaming and talking down to me, it's not just me thinking that.

Finally somebody sees how Chelsea WILL run someday. And we know one thing, if she runs, she wins, especially if she uses the next 8 years to bolster her resume a little bit. It's our country people that let Hillary know they'd support her as the one to replace Obama. It's her turn and all that.

Chelsea had never held any public office. She will not run for President, and if she did very few would support her. Your conspiracy loving mindset is getting the best of you.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 8, 2016 -> 09:40 PM)
Chelsea had never held any public office. She will not run for President, and if she did very few would support her. Your conspiracy loving mindset is getting the best of you.

Trump has proven that your first sentence doesn't matter. You fail to realize 8 years of Hillary coupled with the past 8 years of Bill will have made our country "Clinton-aholics." We will want more and more of Clinton and Chelsea will be sitting there not yet middle aged ready to take over. She has eight years to either get her law degree or maybe start out as an ambassador to somewhere.

You wait! I'll bet you a Cell beef sandwich and Big Hurt beer she will run for president someday.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
Drumpf has proven that your first sentence doesn't matter. You fail to realize 8 years of Hillary coupled with the past 8 years of Bill will have made our country "Clinton-aholics." We will want more and more of Clinton and Chelsea will be sitting there not yet middle aged ready to take over. She has eight years to either get her law degree or maybe start out as an ambassador to somewhere.

You wait! I'll bet you a Cell beef sandwich and Big Hurt beer she will run for president someday.

Just like how we're about to elect President Jeb!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 7, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
I saw a full story today.

Apparently, he wants to negotiate a better rate on the bonds (giving investors a "haircut" as they say)...haven't seen a single economist who agrees with this tactic. His argument for doing so relates to how he did the same thing with creditors during his four previous bankruptcy filings...well, because the biggest economy in the world works exactly like his companies, at least in his mind.

Certainly, it would push up interest rates on debt to much higher rates than 1.5-2.0% That's obvious.

It's defaulting, same thing. He doesn't know the difference. I'm not often surprised by Trump, but I am a little surprised to see he doesn't appear to know s*** about macroeconomics. I should've known better, running a business is not the same thing at all.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 6, 2016 -> 06:13 PM)
Don't think for a second that that would have actually mattered. His crowds love this incoherent nonsense.

I am surprised that the question over defaulting the US economy never came up during those debates.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 8, 2016 -> 11:26 PM)
Trump has proven that your first sentence doesn't matter. You fail to realize 8 years of Hillary coupled with the past 8 years of Bill will have made our country "Clinton-aholics." We will want more and more of Clinton and Chelsea will be sitting there not yet middle aged ready to take over. She has eight years to either get her law degree or maybe start out as an ambassador to somewhere.

I would GLADLY take that bet. Chelsea is no Donald Trump. Lol

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 9, 2016 -> 04:20 PM)
I would GLADLY take that bet. Chelsea is no Donald Trump. Lol

I would vote for Ivanka Trump before her father. She is somehow an actual decent human being.