**2016 TV Watercooler Thread**

Brian

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:10 AM)
Yeah...that was a great episode. The return had some good and some terrible, but this was really good. The whole season and how they did it was pretty choppy though, but I'm a fan of having the mini story within an episode with the bigger story arch getting focus (although I know some people aren't necessarily big fans of X-files when it was more focused on the larger story arch).

I haven't watched the final episode yet, and I'm excited to see it. I can agree with what you're saying about the season for the most part. Throughout a full season before, the X-Files always had a few episodes that dealt with the overall story arc while mixing in a couple creepy/scary episodes (like the one about the Trashman) and at least one funny episode (The Were-Monster). Trying to create the same flow over 6 episodes didn't quite work. If it comes back (and I hope it does), 10-12 episodes would be perfect.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 08:32 AM)
I haven't watched the final episode yet, and I'm excited to see it. I can agree with what you're saying about the season for the most part. Throughout a full season before, the X-Files always had a few episodes that dealt with the overall story arc while mixing in a couple creepy/scary episodes (like the one about the Trashman) and at least one funny episode (The Were-Monster). Trying to create the same flow over 6 episodes didn't quite work. If it comes back (and I hope it does), 10-12 episodes would be perfect.

Agree completely. I think having 6 episodes made the flow wonky. I also hate the idea of 20 episodes or anything significant but I think 10 is a pretty good sweet spot, where you should be able to have consistent excellence. I also agree that the Trashman episode was a cool one.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Anyone catch Mad Dogs on Amazon? I breezed through that this week. Give it a solid B, worth the watch IMO.

Yea it was a good one, not fantastic but a worthwhile follow. Lots of actors that I like in it so it was cool to see them work together.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:14 AM)
Yea it was a good one, not fantastic but a worthwhile follow. Lots of actors that I like in it so it was cool to see them work together.

The story was kind of over the top, but I really liked the style, the locale was pretty great, the actors were all very good and had good chemistry. There was just enough of a tease from episode to episode to keep you interested. I dug it. I'm interested to see if it gets picked up for another season and if so what the story would be.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
Agree completely. I think having 6 episodes made the flow wonky. I also hate the idea of 20 episodes or anything significant but I think 10 is a pretty good sweet spot, where you should be able to have consistent excellence. I also agree that the Trashman episode was a cool one.

Yeah, a half season (12/13 episodes) would have been perfect. There still does have the feeling that the season left a lot on the table by being so short.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 02:22 PM)
When you get to Season 3, just don't hit the play button. It was trash.

1&2 were a blast, though.

Yeah. I'm not really looking forward to the new season next week but I'll watch it.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 23, 2016 -> 11:44 PM)
Was it some kind of a joke for them to add a scene in American Crime Story where Robert Kardashian is telling his kids that being famous is meaningless and hollow and you should always choose to be a better person and good friend instead of being famous?

Anything with those kids feels unnecessary.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 29, 2016 -> 02:21 PM)
Fuller House was awful. But I'm in my late 20s, so I had to watch.

I got to episode 6 and finally threw in the towel. Like you said, I needed to watch it and I kept trying to get through it but I gave up after episode 6.

Edited by Rowand44

You guys realize, the target audience is the kids, whose parents were the primary demographic of the original. I don't think, outside of some early nostaligia, the goal was for people in their early to late 30's to be watching the show, rather their kids to be watching the show and the parents at least having that ability to "relate" to it, so to speak.

I could be wrong and my kids aren't old enough. And I thought the show was a classic and watched it plenty growing up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
You guys realize, the target audience is the kids, whose parents were the primary demographic of the original. I don't think, outside of some early nostaligia, the goal was for people in their early to late 30's to be watching the show, rather their kids to be watching the show and the parents at least having that ability to "relate" to it, so to speak.

I could be wrong and my kids aren't old enough. And I thought the show was a classic and watched it plenty growing up.

I dont know man, I think the target audience is the original audience, now grown up. Kids whose parents were the original primary demo arent going to understand the many references to the original show

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)
I dont know man, I think the target audience is the original audience, now grown up. Kids whose parents were the original primary demo arent going to understand the many references to the original show

It's got to be set up for both, something parents will want to watch with their kids. Adults enjoy the throwbacks, kids enjoy the new content, everybody wins.

Man in the High Castle was disappointing, especially after the first episode. The world was set up and displayed so beautifully, it's a shame the story/characters sucked. I'm glad I watched it, and i'm sure i'll watch season 2, but i'm sad it isn't better. Has the chops to be a great, great series.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 10:53 AM)
AMC is developing a series based on Dan Simmon's The Terror. I loved the book. I hope the series does it justice. It is supposed to air sometime in 2017.

That was a really good book, but I'm not sure how well it will translate to a weekly tv show.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 3, 2016 -> 11:47 AM)

I'm trying to remember back to the original show and whether they focused on the kids more or the adults. It seems to me like it was a mix of both until the girls got a little older. Then they started getting into the typical sitcom kids plots.

The new show seems to focus more on the adults.