Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 02:24 AM)
Why trade multiple prospects instead of just giving up one future prospect that the draft pick is?

After Anderson, Fulmer and Adams, we might not have any prospects worth $12-15 million, for one thing.

But it all depends on the hitter. Unquestionably, we could have Austin Jackson, Kiki Hernandez, Alex Guerrero or Scott Van Slyke for much less than that.

And the final aspect is not only that pick itself but the elevated draft pool money that allows us to find another Adams between round 2-10.

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 04:04 AM)
After Anderson, Fulmer and Adams, we might not have any prospects worth $12-15 million, for one thing.

But it all depends on the hitter. Unquestionably, we could have Austin Jackson, Kiki Hernandez, Alex Guerrero or Scott Van Slyke for much less than that.

And the final aspect is not only that pick itself but the elevated draft pool money that allows us to find another Adams between round 2-10.

Haven't you mentioned the White Sox have a 2 year window? What kind of help would the 28th pick be halfway through one of those 2 years?

Your arguments constantly contradict themselves depending on the latest White Sox rumor.

I mentioned the draft pick and the increased bonus pool when the Sox didn't trade Samardzija at the deadline. It is amazing how that has gone from fairly worthless to so valuable in such a short time.

Are you 100% confident Spencer Adams is going to be a big time pitcher?

I hope he is but there are some red flags. He was very young for his level but he gave up hits and struck guys out at pretty much the same rate John Danks did in 2015.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 06:57 AM)
Haven't you mentioned the White Sox have a 2 year window? What kind of help would the 28th pick be halfway through one of those 2 years?

Your arguments constantly contradict themselves depending on the latest White Sox rumor.

Is there any particular reason you feel the need, or even worse, the authority, to be so mean and hostile to this guy all of the time? Get off of his case already! Leave him alone and let him post whatever he wants. If you don't care for his views, then just block him. That's what the block function is for.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 07:08 AM)
Is there any particular reason you feel the need, or even worse, the authority, to be so mean and hostile to this guy all of the time? Get off of his case already! Leave him alone and let him post whatever he wants. If you don't care for his views, then just block him. That's what the block function is for.

Just calling him out for his previous comments which contradict his latest comments. Since you are here to offer advice, why don't you take your own?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
Just calling him out for his previous comments which contradict his latest comments. Since you are here to offer advice, why don't you take your own?

Stop being a wise guy. It's neither cute nor funny. Pointing out an inconsistency in someone's arguments is one thing. To do so in your incessant condescending style is quite another.

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 07:15 PM)
Horrible is the correct term I think

Not true. I've seen him play a lot of CF with Rockies. Great range, pretty good arm. Hits the cut-off guy, usually. Hustles. If Sox get him, I'm sure Eaton goes to LF, where he belongs and will probably be one of best defensive LF's game.

I have not seen him play that much since he left Colorado, but he was good enough then. He makes the team better defensively at least. And faster on the bases. I hope he hits.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)

i should not point anything out, b/c i am sure i have pissed many on this board.

but as i see this, and i can relate to the on going battle, it is too petty and i can use more adjective to express it, even further.

this is a lot like how some criticize my lack of english.

both of you posters are great posters in my opinion. i have learned alot from these discussion and then i stop reading them. i know i skipped something, but oh well.

again, you both are great posters.

peace

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 06:17 AM)
I feel like people are SEVERELY overrating the value of the compensation pick in this situation.

Yeah, the Sox need to build their system, but they also need to win NOW while the core is cheap and young. For every Trout that gets picked 25th or so overall, there's also 25 Aaron Poreda's who flame out and never amount to anything significant.

The bottom line in my opinion is that the Sox need to win now, and unless the guy that they plan on picking with the compensation pick is a lock (or as close to a lock that a draft pick can be) to contributing soon, I don't mind giving up the pick for the sure thing in Fowler who can help the team out significantly in the present.

i honestly think a majority of the posters see it that way. i guess some can not relate to loosing that pick for someone like Flowers but could under stand that for someone like gordon or upton.

the pick can be a real nice prospect, IF he develops as hope.... but that is for some time in the future like 3 or 4 yrs from now.

the sox needs to fix this team now.

nice post.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
I'm guessing that's exactly what the White Sox are figuring out. What is the best deal for them? Losing 2 middle prospects to get someone like Ethier? Losing one potential top 3 system guy with the comp pick for Fowler? What about the salary coming in of the new player, is he worth the price, does it still allow for more flexibility to add another player? I assume they will come up with an answer soon.

Fowler seems the most logical to me, but ya never know what these remaining FA's are asking for in salary. You would imagine the Sox should get a good deal on whoever they bring in if it is a FA but I thought they had Cespedes coming here and I was wrong on that. I just don't see many trade options left at this point and why I think Fowler should and will be the guy. The Sox may make a move like Jackson instead seeing as there is no pick attached and still leaves money for a SP upgrade or maybe bring in Desmond at SS too.

for me, i would add Khris Davis from the Brewers and Brett Gardner from the yanks. 2 different types of players and the cost would be different to get them, but i would really love to see what would be the cost of getting them.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
Just because I'm cruel, I'm going to throw the names of Victorino, Sizemore, Venable, McLouth and DeJesus out there now in preparation of the cubs re-signing Fowler. Sorry, the caffeine from my morning coffee hasn't hit yet. :drink

many thanks for a dose of the absurd. ..... i love it.

thanks for the laugh

:lol:

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 07:56 AM)
Not true. I've seen him play a lot of CF with Rockies. Great range, pretty good arm. Hits the cut-off guy, usually. Hustles. If Sox get him, I'm sure Eaton goes to LF, where he belongs and will probably be one of best defensive LF's game.

I have not seen him play that much since he left Colorado, but he was good enough then. He makes the team better defensively at least. And faster on the bases. I hope he hits.

I've seen him play as well. Houston is only a 3 hour drive. He's awful in center field. The eye test and every single defensive metric proves that correct. He gave up the most runs out of all center fielders the past 2 years. Which was over 30. Most of them were out of position runs and throwing mistake runs.

Edited by Baron

QUOTE (Baron @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:57 AM)
I've seen him play as well. Houston is only a 3 hour drive. He's awful in center field. The eye test and every single defensive metric proves that correct. He gave up the most runs out of all center fielders the past 2 years. Which was over 30. Most of them were out of position runs and throwing mistake runs.

I'm fine with him coming over but not playing center. He's the one I'd move to left.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 03:39 PM)
Just because I'm cruel, I'm going to throw the names of Victorino, Sizemore, Venable, McLouth and DeJesus out there now in preparation of the cubs re-signing Fowler. Sorry, the caffeine from my morning coffee hasn't hit yet. :drink

Victorino and Venable are third tier guys for me right now. Fowler is top, Jackson/Jennings second and then these guys

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 09:41 AM)
many thanks for a dose of the absurd. ..... i love it.

thanks for the laugh

:lol:

You laugh now but just wait until the Sox sign one of these guys. The board name will change to ChernobylTalk with the theme song " two suns in the sunset". :P

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 04:15 PM)
You laugh now but just wait until the Sox sign one of these guys. The board name will change to ChernobylTalk with the theme song " two suns in the sunset". :P

It would be fine with me if it is in addition to Desmond. If they sign Rollins and DeJesus, then melt away

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 30, 2016 -> 11:17 PM)
I feel like people are SEVERELY overrating the value of the compensation pick in this situation.

Yeah, the Sox need to build their system, but they also need to win NOW while the core is cheap and young. For every Trout that gets picked 25th or so overall, there's also 25 Aaron Poreda's who flame out and never amount to anything significant.

The bottom line in my opinion is that the Sox need to win now, and unless the guy that they plan on picking with the compensation pick is a lock (or as close to a lock that a draft pick can be) to contributing soon, I don't mind giving up the pick for the sure thing in Fowler who can help the team out significantly in the present.

It's more than one pick. The additional pool allotment can allow you to get 2/3rd round talent in rounds 8-10 if you play it smart. I'm sure Hahn would like the opportunity to do that.

Developing this farm is absolutely vital for the next wave. Look at the Astros; look at the Cubs. Their farms are so stocked they no longer have to worry about trading a few prospects for a player, because they have ample replacements below them.

Fowler is simply not a difference maker.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
It would be fine with me if it is in addition to Desmond. If they sign Rollins and DeJesus, then melt away

I'm looking at alternatives to Fowler and Desmond and it don't look good unless the Sox pull off a trade of some sort. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic. I think Fowler returns to the cubs and I don't see the Sox giving up the pick for Desmond. I really would'nt be surprised to see the Sox sign one of Victorino, McLouth, Venable as platoon partners for Avi in RF. Not a prediction, just spit-balling.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
I really would'nt be surprised to see the Sox sign one of Victorino, McLouth, Venable as platoon partners for Avi in RF. Not a prediction, just spit-balling.

And those names are another reason why the Sox need to sign Austin Jackson. And what a boost he would give to this defense and doesn't cost a draft pick

Signing Desmond would be inane. That's veteran for the sake of veteran. And this veteran would hurt the defense.

Sox have a guy who can handle the position defensively, and a top prospect coming up.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 10:44 AM)
I'm looking at alternatives to Fowler and Desmond and it don't look good unless the Sox pull off a trade of some sort. Not trying to be a downer, just realistic. I think Fowler returns to the cubs and I don't see the Sox giving up the pick for Desmond. I really would'nt be surprised to see the Sox sign one of Victorino, McLouth, Venable as platoon partners for Avi in RF. Not a prediction, just spit-balling.

Victorino hits right handed only now. I know you were just spit balling but felt I should acknowledge that. Could def see McLouth, Venable, DeJesus (lives in the area), Matt Joyce, or Sizemore.

After weeks and weeks of talking about the possibility of signing either Cespedes, Gordon, or Upton, and now this discussion going back and forth about Fowler, Desmond or Jackson, it's like going from the main GOP debate listening to Trump, Cruz and Rubio to the undercard debate between Huckabee, Santorum and Fiorina. Very underwhelming!!

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 31, 2016 -> 10:59 AM)
Victorino hits right handed only now. I know you were just spit balling but felt I should acknowledge that. Could def see McLouth, Venable, DeJesus (lives in the area), Matt Joyce, or Sizemore.

Thanks for the correction, I had forgotten Victorino no longer bats from the left side. After thinking more about it, Shuck is probably a better idea than signing one of those players. If RF is going to be upgraded, I think it's going to be via trade.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/163294364?pa...12572-869959683

Skip Schumaker would be a nice veteran pick-up depending on price...

2B: Skip Schumaker

2015 numbers: .242 batting average in 131 games

Note: Valuable utility guy (he also played every outfield spot), with an .816 OPS vs. left-handed pitching in 2015.

Potential landing spots: D-backs, Royals

Fowler attached to White Sox, Cubs and Angels.

Nothing about the Sox with either Desmond or Austin Jackson.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 08:51 AM)
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/163294364?pa...12572-869959683

Skip Schumaker would be a nice veteran pick-up depending on price...

2B: Skip Schumaker

2015 numbers: .242 batting average in 131 games

Note: Valuable utility guy (he also played every outfield spot), with an .816 OPS vs. left-handed pitching in 2015.

Potential landing spots: D-backs, Royals

Fowler attached to White Sox, Cubs and Angels.

Nothing about the Sox with either Desmond or Austin Jackson.

Career .545 OPS vs. LHP with 1 home run.