Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/.../skip-schumaker

For once, I can agree with you about something.

To extrapolate 6/22 into anything meaningful is ridiculous on the part of that writer.

Over the last three years, 622 OPS against lefties and 639 against righties. Because of his positional versatility, he still would be a better solution for the White Sox than just sitting Sanchez on the bench to rot away, and he's got a ton of playoff experience as well.

Obviously depends on the price tag, which won't be high.

My preference continues to be Hernandez or Guerrero though from LA...with Desmond Jennings, Jackson and Fowler one of 3 possible outfield moves.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 09:12 AM)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/.../skip-schumaker

For once, I can agree with you about something.

To extrapolate 6/22 into anything meaningful is ridiculous on the part of that writer.

Over the last three years, 622 OPS against lefties and 639 against righties. Because of his positional versatility, he still would be a better solution for the White Sox than just sitting Sanchez on the bench to rot away, and he's got a ton of playoff experience as well.

Obviously depends on the price tag, which won't be high.

My preference continues to be Hernandez or Guerrero though from LA...with Desmond Jennings, Jackson and Fowler one of 3 possible outfield moves.

Hasn't put up a 0.0 WAR since 2012. Hasn't put up a 1.0 WAR since 2009. No help. He actually has been worse than Avi.

Edited by Dick Allen

David KaplanVerified account

‏@thekapman

The White Sox are in play for Fowler as are the Texas Rangers. He is hearing from a few teams that still want a bat.

David Kaplan ‏@thekapman 3m3 minutes ago

Talking to people around MLB, sounds like it will be a tough putt to see Dexter Fowler back w/ Cubs. Could happen but stars have to align.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

Yep, the Angels and Orioles are still looking for outfielders that could lead off. Texas would be interested on a one year deal and possibly the Indians could be in the mix although they likely shoot for Jackson.

I'd like to see the Sox work something out with Fowler but I'm not counting on it. For some reason I lean towards the Sox making a trade instead.

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 12:20 PM)
I think the O's sign Fowler.

FWIW, I'm split 50/50 on whether the Sox should sign Fowler or trade for Ethier and sign AJax/trade for Jennings. I think that over the next two years, both combos should produce similar value.

I think it makes more sense for the O's to go after Gallardo than Fowler (assuming they don't have the money for both), their rotation is really bad.

For anyone interested. The Angels payroll currently sits at 160.3M for 18 players and that includes all their arbitration players. If they add 6 more league minimum players at 500k each, that adds 3M which brings the total to 163.3M for 24 players. The Angels have plenty of room to add Fowler and have payroll space left over.

The White Sox and Rangers are both looking at Dexter Fowler, tweets David Kaplan of CSN Chicago. Sox GM Rick Hahn spoke over the weekend about the value of the No. 28 overall selection, which the club would have to forfeit in order to sign Fowler, however. I’d imagine that if Fowler’s asking price dipped enough, the Sox might be comfortable enough with the immediate value they’re obtaining to part with the potential longer-term value of the draft pick. The Sox do seem like a good fit for Fowler, as Jeff Todd and I recently discussed on the MLBTR Podcast. The Rangers, too, were mentioned in that discussion, and they could certainly make some sense, pushing Josh Hamilton to more of a part-time role that could possibly keep him healthier while creating more outfield depth in Texas.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/whit...ter-fowler.html

well vs rhp

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Ethier

Laroche

Lawrie

Desmond

Avila/Navarro

and vs LHP

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Sands

Lawrie

Desmond

Avi or some other RH bat (Coats? Raburn????)

Avila/Navarro

I feel like either of those would be pretty solid lineups.

Edit - with Saladino as the spare IF and Sanchez in Charlotte.

Edited by daggins

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 01:18 PM)
If there was an award given this offseason for just "looking" at a free agent outfielder, we would have taken home the gold weeks ago.

Gold, Silver and Bronze. ;)

To me, its no different than any other off season full of rumors. I take em with a grain of salt. I just try to have fun discussing the possibilities.

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
well vs rhp

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Ethier

Laroche

Lawrie

Desmond

Avila/Navarro

and vs LHP

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Sands

Lawrie

Desmond

Avila/Navarro

It's pretty difficult to imagine the White Sox giving Coats much of a chance...unless he has a Wilson Betemit-esque run in spring training.

QUOTE (daggins @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 01:35 PM)
well vs rhp

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Ethier

Laroche

Lawrie

Desmond

Avila/Navarro

and vs LHP

Eaton

Melky

Abreu

Frazier

Sands

Lawrie

Desmond

Avila/Navarro

You can't have a bench with Sands and Garcia though because you have no backup CF.

Yeah, I just used him (edit- Coats) as an example of a guy in the org who can play some corner OF and is RH. It's a bit rough because Trayce filled that role so nicely, but if you're talking about guys who can play defense in the OF and bat RH, it shouldn't be THAT hard to find someone.

Guys like Avi and Laroche who have tentative roster spots and no defensive value can more easily be replaced than someone like Desmond or Ethier.

I think if they rolled with Avi on the 25 man they would have to have either Leury or Shuck on there too, neither of which are stellar options. Bench would be something like:

DH/RF - Sands, Avi

OF - Leury or Shuck

IF - Saladino

C - Avila/Navarro

Would be kind of like 2014 with Konerko and having little positional flexibility. Hard to make that work.

Edited by daggins