Orioles DO NOT Sign Fowler

southsider2k5

• Replies 806
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 04:44 PM)
Yeah, they'd be asking for Q or Rodon for Soler. Beck and Fry isn't going to get you much from anyone due to their health issues.

Soler is young, but he's a strikeout artist.

I don't really think he's worth Q or Rodon.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
They can ask for Q or Rodon, but there is 0.0% chance he could net either. Dude was f***ing awful last year. He was basically Avi Garcia.

Then offer them Avi............................

I'm sure Soler is still a Cub because they're asking the world for him and when other teams balk at that then they're not selling low on him. A lot of people still love the potential of his bat and The Cubs just aren't going to give him up.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 02:14 PM)
I'm sure Soler is still a Cub because they're asking the world for him and when other teams balk at that then they're not selling low on him. A lot of people still love the potential of his bat and The Cubs just aren't going to give him up.

Not to mention they still have Baez, who will see some time in the OF as well.

I think unless something drastic happens with the Cubs, there is very little chance of him going back. Was talking with Kap earlier & he said he would be surprised to see him back with the Cubs & that the Sox are serious. We shall see what happens.

Kills me we couldn't sign Soler (I don't know this counterfactual and whether it influenced us getting Abreu).

We were just bidding $70 mill plus for aging talent when the potential, cheap bat of Soler will allow a great package of return or he develops.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)
Kills me we couldn't sign Soler (I don't know this counterfactual and whether it influenced us getting Abreu).

We were just bidding $70 mill plus for aging talent when the potential, cheap bat of Soler will allow a great package of return or he develops.

Wait. Are you mad about Abreu over Soler?

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 04:40 PM)

We have Soler, his name is Avi Garcia.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 04:45 PM)
Wait. Are you mad about Abreu over Soler?

No, I'm saying I don't remember if ponying up for Soler would mean we could not have signed Abreu. In isolation, I'm mad we could not get Soler as it is a relatively cheap price to get you a lot of value.

QUOTE (Baron @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 04:47 PM)
Exactly and so far Soler is actually worse on defense

And yet I'd love to see the return if Soler was traded vs. Garcia. It is not a question who is more valuable at this point, and all he cost was a relatively small sum.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 04:48 PM)
And yet I'd love to see the return if Soler was traded vs. Garcia. It is not a question who is more valuable at this point, and all he cost was a relatively small sum.

I am not sure that is honestly true. Soler would have been traded already if his value was actually that high.

Soler has more talent than Avi, but the way I look at it, Soler is more or less what Garcia was maybe 2 years ago. When people thought Avi could hit and he just needed time to develop.

The massive difference between the two is that Soler actually has some semblance of plate discipline.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 04:59 PM)
Soler is making a pittance for the next five years and has put up positive WAR in his career. He is not Avi Garcia and you could not remotely trade them straight up.

Garcia is under contract for cheaper than Soler for both 2015 and 2016. And while it seems crazy, Garcia only has about a season's more AB's than Soler, and is only a year older. Soler had a negative WAR and dWAR this year, just like Garcia did. In fact if you project out Soler's WAR and dWAR to Garcia's number of PA's they are almost identical.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 1, 2016 -> 05:14 PM)
So, just to be clear, your contention is that if you took the best deal for Soler and Garcia they would be equal value...

Soler will not get Q, but the difference between Q and DFA'ing avi garcia is a huge gap.

My position is that they are almost identical players. Any GM that would overpay for Soler vs Garcia is an idiot.