Merkin Suggests Sox go after Puig

Princess Dye

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 10:38 AM)
I really don't see the Sox trading Q, I was just throwing that out there. The Dodgers have been very adamant in keeping certain prospects like Seager, Pederson, Urias and De Leon.

I'm with on bringing back TT. I like his game and should be a fine fourth outfielder but I can't come up with a trade package that the Dodgers might be interested in. Was hoping for something where the Sox offer to take on all of Ethier's contract and get Thompson for....... well, that's where I'm stuck. :lol:

And the White Sox have been pretty straight forward about keeping Adams, Fulmer, and Anderson. Unless LAD is desperate to move Ethier, I have a hard team seeing it work.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 10:46 AM)
And the White Sox have been pretty straight forward about keeping Adams, Fulmer, and Anderson. Unless LAD is desperate to move Ethier, I have a hard team seeing it work.

I think the media is making the Dodgers look more desperate than they really are and it seems like the Dodgers value Ethier more than the Sox. Definitely not looking like a match at this point.

I believe the writers when they said the Dodgers prefer to trade Crawford, I would too if I were them. But Crawford has less than zero value and thankfully, the Sox have less than zero interest.

So I guess that brings us back to Fowler, lol.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)
I think the media is making the Dodgers look more desperate than they really are and it seems like the Dodgers value Ethier more than the Sox. Definitely not looking like a match at this point.

I believe the writers when they said the Dodgers prefer to trade Crawford, I would too if I were them. But Crawford has less than zero value and thankfully, the Sox have less than zero interest.

I get the 10/5 rights thing, but the Dodgers don't seem like they really care about stuff like that. With all of the OFs they have, if they want to make him want to leave, it would be pretty easy to bench him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 3, 2016 -> 07:57 PM)
Lol Rogers suggested maybe targeting BJ Upton.

Surprisingly he was pretty good last year with a 1.6 fWAR over just 87 games played. But with a total of $31.9 million due to him over the next two years I think I'll pass. Were he a free agent he might be a guy worth taking a flyer on a cheap one year deal.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 10:52 AM)

...but KW always gets his guy.

Honestly, I hope the Sox have zero interest in Carl, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did, assuming LAD would eat most of his contract.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 10:55 AM)
...but KW always gets his guy.

Honestly, I hope the Sox have zero interest in Carl, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did, assuming LAD would eat most of his contract.

I'm hoping for the same. If the Dodgers ate most of Crawford's contract and offered another player, then maybe but it would depend on who that other player is.

Crawford + money + Thompson for Duke + Webb? Eh, highly doubtful.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 11:00 AM)
Teams that inquire about Yaisel Puig_and not Ethier_are being told by the #Dodgers that he is not available, at least not now.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/695286796532342786

I believe Nightengale on this one. Despite Puig's struggles, trading Crawford/Ethier makes more sense.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 11:05 AM)
I'm hoping for the same. If the Dodgers ate most of Crawford's contract and offered another player, then maybe but it would depend on who that other player is.

Crawford + money + Thompson for Duke + Webb? Eh, highly doubtful.

The Sox are not reacquiring Trayce. Time to put that idea to bed.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 11:22 AM)
The Sox are not reacquiring Trayce. Time to put that idea to bed.

IDK, worked for Gio in the past. ;)

I'm just trying to think of a player the Dodgers might be willing to part with that the Sox could get in return with Crawford, not that I want Crawford.

In the end, it just doesn't sound like the Dodgers and Sox match up for any kind of trade. Maybe if the Sox were willing to put Robertson on the trade table but I doubt the SOX do that.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
IDK, worked for Gio in the past. ;)

I'm just trying to think of a player the Dodgers might be willing to part with that the Sox could get in return with Crawford, not that I want Crawford.

In the end, it just doesn't sound like the Dodgers and Sox match up for any kind of trade. Maybe if the Sox were willing to put Robertson on the trade table but I doubt the SOX do that.

Trading DRob would make no sense considering the position that the Sox are in.

If the Sox intend to compete, DRob is a quality closer that is needed during a pennant chase. If they traded him, who would close? Jones? I have very little confidence in his abilites as a closer.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 11:35 AM)
Trading DRob would make no sense considering the position that the Sox are in.

If the Sox intend to compete, DRob is a quality closer that is needed during a pennant chase. If they traded him, who would close? Jones? I have very little confidence in his abilites as a closer.

Well, I did say that I doubted the Sox would trade Robertson. I think if the Sox were willing to do so, he would be gone already.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 06:22 AM)
The Dodgers would never do that deal.

Urias and Montas won't help them this year or maybe ever and Pederson despite the monster HR's is flawed in other ways. Q would actually give them someone to put in the 2 spot in the rotation. Unless I'm missing something they got a lot of starting pitchers but no one very reliable. Ryu (injuries) ,McCarthy (injuries) ,Maeda ( new league) ,Anderson (injury history), Kazmir (injury history , probably their 2nd best starter who should be a 3 ), Wood (3 or 4 starter) . Do you see anyone who should be a true #2 starter ? I don't. Plus Q's conract is so good what's wrong with asking for Urias , Pederson and Montas ? Urias has the best upside, Pederson could be a HR/walk guy but never hit for a decent average . Many people on this website only look at Montas as a reliever but somehow look at Fulmer as a starter.

The Sox could whip their system right back into shape while the Dodger get a better chance at winning now . Their starting staff isn't all that impressive without Grienke. They could be worse than last year. They can't keep sitting on prospects with a huge payroll and not making the World Series.

Or I'll also throw out there Q , Avi or Melky and Putnam for Urias, Montas ,Trayce Thompson and Alex Verdugo . The Dodger actually have four other OF's rated above Thompson on their prospect list but they mostly are very young guys for who the Dodgers paid big international bucks .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I can't see where the Dodgers would take back Cabrera...they already have enough overpaid veteran OFers as it is.

The deal where we get back Urias, Montas and Pederson makes more sense.

It would have been even more logical had we not added Frazier, which puts us in a position where we have to compete this season.

It's pretty much completely dependent on how close Urias is to being able to contribute. You can make the argument that by the end of the season, Sale, Rodon, Urias, Fulmer and Johnson/Montas might be the most talented young rotation in the majors, after the Mets. If Montas is added to the bullpen, he becomes a huge weapon there assuming he can control his walks and perfect just one secondary pitch instead of working on 2-3 simultaneously.

There's a lot of risk for both sides. The Dodgers, trying to cut payroll, are taking two of their top prospects that would be cost-controlled out of their depth chart. The White Sox could be taking a strength and turning it into a weakness, and guessing wrong on all three prospects panning out.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 4, 2016 -> 07:46 PM)
Baseball life... Could it please be April already?

Real life... Could it please be 1990 again so I could purchase google.com, sex.com, toys.com, and money.com - among other domains?

Money Magazine would have been there first. Btw, what product/s do sex.com and toys.com even sell?

Better to have put all that money into Apple, Nike or Johnson & Johnson stock.

This was posted in the Ethier thread too but it's interesting: http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-s...0204-story.html

White Sox called the Dodgers to express interest in Puig and Los Angeles tried to give them Crawford/Ethier instead. The White Sox have always been interested in Puig so it's not surprising. No real talks between the teams for Ethier it seems.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 5, 2016 -> 07:42 AM)
This was posted in the Ethier thread too but it's interesting: http://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-s...0204-story.html

White Sox called the Dodgers to express interest in Puig and Los Angeles tried to give them Crawford/Ethier instead. The White Sox have always been interested in Puig so it's not surprising. No real talks between the teams for Ethier it seems.

If Hahn and Friedman are actually friends like some posts here have hinted to, this leak makes so much more sense.

Obviously, the Sox want an outfielder. By the Dodgers leaking that the Sox are involved in trade talks, perhaps that could make Fowler and his agent squirm and finally make a decision as to whether the Sox are the right landing spot for him.