2016-2017 NFL Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Someone will claim him. Bears hold the 11th spot in the waiver wire

Oh, right. I kind of thought "waived" him meant release him. Maybe we can trade for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 01:45 PM)
Wow, the Chargers are not messing around with the Joey Bosa contract negotiations:

https://twitter.com/Chargers/status/768509903707123712

They are messing around. They are f***ing idiots. They want him to take a deal that other #3 picks don't take. They want him to take a deferred Signing Bonus but they also want to recoup money if he's injured or cut prior to his deal ending. If he goes back into next year's draft at age 22, the Chargers receive nothing in return. This is firmly on the Chargers at this point.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 01:50 PM)
They are messing around. They are f***ing idiots. They want him to take a deal that other #3 picks don't take. They want him to take a deferred Signing Bonus but they also want to recoup money if he's injured or cut prior to his deal ending. If he goes back into next year's draft at age 22, the Chargers receive nothing in return. This is firmly on the Chargers at this point.

Link? That seems counter to what the Charges stated in their press release, which is that he's getting the biggest signing bonus of any player drafted in the last 2 years.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 02:01 PM)
Link? That seems counter to what the Charges stated in their press release, which is that he's getting the biggest signing bonus of any player drafted in the last 2 years.

No s*** it does. They didn't include the fact that they want him to take a deal that no other top 5 pick has taken under current CBA.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/8/12402198/...go-chargers-why

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-t...s-the-chargers/

"Holding strong" over a few dollars basically right? Absolute worst case scenario, Bosa has a career ending injury or something in his rookie year the Chargers are out what? A couple million?

Instead they're standing their ground, hurting their team, and adding a potential new worst case scenario of losing a #3 pick in the draft? Solid strategy.

I understand that, the Chargers have a history of being idiots, and the CBA doesn't favor rookies. But at the same time, is Joey Bosa really gonna pass up $22 million guaranteed to sit out and go back in the draft next year? What if he gets injured? What if he gets drafted much lower? At some point you gotta just take that life changing money.

I appears to have come to a certain point that it is beyond repairable between Bosa and the Chargers. I cant see anything working out to where he plays there after its gone on this long and with this much animosity between the two sides.

Bosa's negotiations with the Chargers remind me of Cedric Benson's negotiations with the Bears. Angelo (who was at the time still a good GM who made good decisions usually) said something along the lines of "any future offer will reflect his now-diminished value to the team, as he has missed valuable time"

At the time, people thought the Bears were playing games and should have caved, but in hindsight nobody takes his side lol. They didn't need him that year (or ever, really).

Edited by Ezio Auditore

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
Would the Chargers trade his rights for future picks? I'm sure there would be teams who would trade for him.

They aren't allowed to trade him. Deadline passed. He'll either sign there or he won't and enter next year's draft and Chargers get nothing in return. Dean Spanos is worth $2 billion and is doing this over offset language. It's a joke. They expect Joey Bosa to take a deal that no other top 5 pick has taken under the new CBA.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 03:32 PM)
I understand that, the Chargers have a history of being idiots, and the CBA doesn't favor rookies. But at the same time, is Joey Bosa really gonna pass up $22 million guaranteed to sit out and go back in the draft next year? What if he gets injured? What if he gets drafted much lower? At some point you gotta just take that life changing money.

So in your opinion he should take the worst deal offered since the CBA began? Tom Condon isnt going to let ANY player do that (but of course everyone thinks Joey is doing the negotiations himself).

People have to remember as well, Joey has a father and uncle who played in the NFL, they know the business side and they also dont NEED the money at all. They are very well off. The Chargers have zero leverage.

Edited by RockRaines

The scale is straightforward and was a huge win for owners. That an owner can get a top 5 pick and try to exploit it is ridiculous. This should be used as an example why Spanos should not be allowed to move the team. He should be forced to sell. If you are an NFL owner would you want your teams money being funneled to this idiot crying poor?

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 11:15 AM)
The scale is straightforward and was a huge win for owners. That an owner can get a top 5 pick and try to exploit it is ridiculous. This should be used as an example why Spanos should not be allowed to move the team. He should be forced to sell. If you are an NFL owner would you want your teams money being funneled to this idiot crying poor?

This is the baffling part, cuz the 3rd overall pick would've been paid a LOT more than he'd have been paid before the rookie pay scale was implemented. I don't know why the Chargers think they're getting over.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 04:49 PM)
They aren't allowed to trade him. Deadline passed. He'll either sign there or he won't and enter next year's draft and Chargers get nothing in return. Dean Spanos is worth $2 billion and is doing this over offset language. It's a joke. They expect Joey Bosa to take a deal that no other top 5 pick has taken under the new CBA.

I didn't realize you couldn't trade first round picks later (when they were unsigned)...although makes sense cause I can't remember it happening (at least not recently...thought it happened a bit back in the days where holdouts were far more common). Chargers have always done this, reminds me of the Bears back in the 90's where they had a similar type of issue where they were making a hardline stance (it might have been as part of the Curtis Enis negotiation).

I wonder if there are other teams who don't agree to the offset language on principal. Either way, Spanos hasn't made a lot of good decisions recently as it relates to his ownership of the franchise and this is just another one that will look bad amongst players (including how they kicked Weddle to the curb last year).

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
So in your opinion he should take the worst deal offered since the CBA began? Tom Condon isnt going to let ANY player do that (but of course everyone thinks Joey is doing the negotiations himself).

People have to remember as well, Joey has a father and uncle who played in the NFL, they know the business side and they also dont NEED the money at all. They are very well off. The Chargers have zero leverage.

If him and his family are comfortable enough to risk all that guaranteed money and sit out this year, then all props to him, go for it. I've never said the Chargers were right, I just wouldn't be the one to take that stand.

I think American sports are the only profession where you are taken out of college and given zero choice where and for whom you want to work for. Other than the military I guess.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 11:46 AM)
I didn't realize you couldn't trade first round picks later (when they were unsigned)...although makes sense cause I can't remember it happening (at least not recently...thought it happened a bit back in the days where holdouts were far more common). Chargers have always done this, reminds me of the Bears back in the 90's where they had a similar type of issue where they were making a hardline stance (it might have been as part of the Curtis Enis negotiation).

I wonder if there are other teams who don't agree to the offset language on principal. Either way, Spanos hasn't made a lot of good decisions recently as it relates to his ownership of the franchise and this is just another one that will look bad amongst players (including how they kicked Weddle to the curb last year).

That was both Enis and Benson, back when a top 5 pick was paid like a starting running back. Both of them had a lot less leverage than Bosa though and the Bears weren't being nearly as petty.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
That was both Enis and Benson, back when a top 5 pick was paid like a starting running back. Both of them had a lot less leverage than Bosa though and the Bears weren't being nearly as petty.

This is absolutely worse because of the new CBA. These contracts should be pretty cookie-cutter. Melvin Ingram, Melvin Gordon, etc signed deals like this. They weren't basically the 1st pick in the draft though. The Chargers essentially had their choice of any player in the draft. They decided that Bosa was the best player and now they are dicking around over something pretty minor. It's incredibly stupid. John Clayton just tweeted that Chargers can get away with this picking in 18-24 range. Not top 5 though.

Edited by Y2JImmy0