2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
That was both Enis and Benson, back when a top 5 pick was paid like a starting running back. Both of them had a lot less leverage than Bosa though and the Bears weren't being nearly as petty.

Speaking of the Bears: I've posted this before but it seems like a funny time to post it again. In 2001, Mark Hatley had a deal to trade up and take Ladainian Tomlinson in the draft. The McCaskey's didn't want to pay the $$ required for top 5 though. The Bears had the 8th pick and were settled on Deuce McAllister. David Terrell (who they didn't even workout) somehow fell to #8 and the Bears chose him instead. McAllister started to fall and Hatley had another deal to move into the 20's to take him. McCaskey's however didn't want to pay 2 1st rounders. I'm not one of those people that always rails on the Bears ownership because I think they are on the right side of things with current regime but that's an awful but true tale.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 08:54 AM)
That was both Enis and Benson, back when a top 5 pick was paid like a starting running back. Both of them had a lot less leverage than Bosa though and the Bears weren't being nearly as petty.

With Benson, there was a difference I think vs. the Enis negotiation (where with Enis I think we truly were made out to be the bad guys where I never really remember that with the Benson negotiation).

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 24, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
No s*** it does. They didn't include the fact that they want him to take a deal that no other top 5 pick has taken under current CBA.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/8/12402198/...go-chargers-why

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-t...s-the-chargers/

Is he getting paid more than usual though? If so, I fail to see what the problem is. Offset language has been included in deals before, so has deferred payments for signing bonuses. In either case, if the dude is getting more consideration for those extra clauses, I don't see why it's so s***ty on the Chargers' part. Going to the media was dumb, i'll agree with that.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:55 PM)
Yeah Hatley was the most screwed over by ownership cheapness.

Yeah, they got a little better about that under Angelo, and when they got a new CBA and everything. The team isn't run like that anymore thank God.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 12:32 PM)
Is he getting paid more than usual though? If so, I fail to see what the problem is. Offset language has been included in deals before, so has deferred payments for signing bonuses. In either case, if the dude is getting more consideration for those extra clauses, I don't see why it's so s***ty on the Chargers' part. Going to the media was dumb, i'll agree with that.

They decided to basically make Bosa the top pick in the draft. They want to be able to recoup $$ if he's traded or released. Nobody in the top 5 has signed a deal like this prior. It doesn't make sense. They want the bonus up front or the offset language removed. One or the other. Chargers will do neither. f*** them. I hope he sits out the season and they get nothing in return. They've been doing stuff like this for years.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 01:32 PM)

Basically, he's the 3rd overall pick (top overall non-quarterback), and they're trying to give him the type of contract provisions you'd give to someone you picked 22nd.

I get that, but they're also claiming that he's getting the biggest signing bonus in years and will be the 2nd highest paid rookie next year after a QB. It's not like they're going cheap on him AND demanding unreasonable terms. If true, why isn't that a reasonable trade off?

I dont get why this was ever allowed and since it is why other teams havent done what the Chargers are doing. The majority are cutthroat and squeeze every dime that they can out of players. The Chargers are obviously being jag bags but other teams are too.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 01:15 PM)
I dont get why this was ever allowed and since it is why other teams havent done what the Chargers are doing. The majority are cutthroat and squeeze every dime that they can out of players. The Chargers are obviously being jag bags but other teams are too.

Other teams do it with first round picks, it just isn't normally done with top 5-10 picks. Later on in the 1st round, there are more teams that do it.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 02:23 PM)
I get that, but they're also claiming that he's getting the biggest signing bonus in years and will be the 2nd highest paid rookie next year after a QB. It's not like they're going cheap on him AND demanding unreasonable terms. If true, why isn't that a reasonable trade off?

Ask Tom Condon, the best agent in the NFL. The chargers are full of s***.

QUOTE (shipps @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)

I'm guessing other s***ty teams really want their top picks to sign.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 25, 2016 -> 10:25 PM)
I'm guessing other s***ty teams really want their top picks to sign.

But those same teams would know they will likely sign anyways. The team almost always has the leverage knowing not many players will pass up that kind of guaranteed money.

If there is any team that I could see calling a player's bluff it would be the Chargers. They have shown a very cheap side, their whole stadium/relocation situation is in disarray, so pissing off a fanbase about a draft pick isn't that important right now. If Bosa doesn't need the money, I could see him sitting out the season.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 08:25 AM)
If there is any team that I could see calling a player's bluff it would be the Chargers. They have shown a very cheap side, their whole stadium/relocation situation is in disarray, so pissing off a fanbase about a draft pick isn't that important right now. If Bosa doesn't need the money, I could see him sitting out the season.

If Tom Condon thinks the contract is a problem he's not going to sign.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 09:39 AM)
If Bosa doesn't sign, what happens? Back into the draft next year?

Yes. And he'll only be 22 at the time. His father and uncle played in the league and his family has money. He'd probably take a hit next year but at least he wouldn't have to play in San Diego

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)
Yes. And he'll only be 22 at the time. His father and uncle played in the league and his family has money. He'd probably take a hit next year but at least he wouldn't have to play in San Diego

The issue would be is he any closer to free agency if he sits out the year. That is a year of prime earnings that he losses if the rookie contract extends for a year.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 26, 2016 -> 10:48 AM)
The issue would be is he any closer to free agency if he sits out the year. That is a year of prime earnings that he losses if the rookie contract extends for a year.

I don't think it makes any difference. He skips a year of wear and tear of the NFL and is just a year older for FA. Not playing for San Diego is probably worth that