2016-2017 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
So apparently Cutler played through torn ligaments in his thumb that first happened in the Texans game. And ESPN dopes made the Philadelphia Eagles pre game show all about how Cutler wasn't tough. People are idiots. Cutler was 10/13 prior to reaggravating the thumb injury. That doesn't fit the narrative of everything always being his fault though.

With everything that has gone on, I don't get the meme that Cutler isn't tough. Apparently he needs to put on a floor show of acting like he is pain to convince everyone that he is really in pain.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
With everything that has gone on, I don't get the meme that Cutler isn't tough. Apparently he needs to put on a floor show of acting like he is pain to convince everyone that he is really in pain.

For some reason a couple of months ago I speed-read through the 2010-11 NFC championship thread, oh man the hot takes on how Cutler was such a wuss.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 04:10 AM)
Yup aside from the injuries being the worst thing to happen last night, the play calling was absolutely brutal.

This Cutler stuff is ridiculous. He is who he is. He's a league average QB who is mistake prone, but capable of making up for talent gaps and have games where he covers everyone up. Even last night, in the first half, some of the throws he made to put the Bears in position to get points were incredible. Play calling was terrible though and I've long said, when you put a guy through that many coordinators, they have no chance to be anything but average, at best. Just way too much turnover / systems, etc. for a guy to ever be comfortable enough to where he truly can know an offense.

Fox does plenty of things well, offense isn't necessarily his forte and he's had some really good coordinators for a few years, but the move to promote the existing guy probably wasn't the right move (at least not with the defense we have in place). Either way, this year should be about developing players, hopefully finding out that Jeffrey is a keeper and that White has a bright future, as well as learning about our running backs and if we have a keeper or two there, as well as developing our defensive players and starting to identify more special talent (hoping Goldman / Floyd pan out in that regard).

Pass rush has been bad, but we don't really have any dynamic pass rushers. Houston / Young get sacks, but I wouldn't call them dynamic pass rushers in the sense of what the top / elite defenses in the league have. We were so devoid of talent that it is going to take a while, but I don't like what I've seen in the second half of either game and I think a lot of that has to do with coaching. We are getting crushed on offense. Then again, having that many turnovers doesn't help either (cause we started to run the ball with some authority in the second half, finally).

I said this off-season it was time to get bad and I wanted to move Cutler (coming off his best season in a while) and we certainly could have. Right now, it seems the media has put his value in a brutal spot so I have to hope his injury isn't too serious and he can go on to have a good year (cause I'd like to have him as a tradeable asset vs. a guy we just have to dump).

For a guy playing in his second game, Wentz was really freaking impressive.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
For some reason a couple of months ago I speed-read through the 2010-11 NFC championship thread, oh man the hot takes on how Cutler was such a wuss.

Yes. But we now have half a decade of seeing him getting get his ass kicked and injured to add t that data.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 07:02 AM)
So apparently Cutler played through torn ligaments in his thumb that first happened in the Texans game. And ESPN dopes made the Philadelphia Eagles pre game show all about how Cutler wasn't tough. People are idiots. Cutler was 10/13 prior to reaggravating the thumb injury. That doesn't fit the narrative of everything always being his fault though.

Yep. Cutler was playing fantastic early in that game. He is good enough to win with, but you have to build a good team around him. I just think we are too far away from being good to get any long-term benefit from Jay. This will be interesting. I really think it was a huge mistake not to take at least a developmental back-up QB this past year (Fales was obviously garbage). All that said, we know what Jay is. He isn't a top 5-7 QB in the league, but he certainly isn't the guy the media likes making him out to be either.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 08:11 AM)
I did the same thing with the bears that I did with the white sox. You only compare them against themselves and you say "oh we are better at ILB, we have more line depth", but it wasn't until the Chiefs preseason game where I realized that there are maybe zero teams in the league that would trade their roster for the bears.

This is going to be a rough season and you have to hope floyd, hall, one of our safeties, bullard flash, because otherwise it is going to be a really long time until we are back.

Also super bummed, I wonder what would be different if we had hired Jim Bob Cooter over Gase. I believe he was one of the people we had interviewed prior to going with Gase.

And speaking of, one of the great and sneaky things about the Gase offense was it prioritized TOP over explosiveness and executed it. Was very important to keeping so many games close last year, it kept defense off the field so our scoring defense was a lot lower than DVOA ranking.

Loggains clearly is not capable of that same offense, and instead we are relying on big plays to Jeffery and nothing else.

We don't have playmakers. We have one guy on the roster who was drafted prior to 2013 (Alshon). We need talent and that is why I laugh at people wanting to run Alshon out of town (he clearly is a top flight wideout and I guess we'll see if he can stay on the field). Defensively our scheme made us look so much better then we actually were (not that it made us look very good to begin with, either). I still expected us to be mediocre and long said the only way we'd be just awful bad was if Jay was out (which now seems to be the case).

I think Cutler WAS an average QB, but he has stayed at the same level while a lot of better QBs have entered league.

Like, I guess we'd say Cousins is same level as Cutler, but then Cutler hasn't had a season like this in a decade:

4k yards 29 tds 11 ints

You can say he WOULD have last year, but the whole Cutler getting injured for 4-6 games is kinda part of the deal.

You'd have to say Cutler is closer to the Ryan Fitzpatrick level than he used to be, through better QBs entering league.

QBs I'd still take Cutler over:

- Gabbert

- Fitzpatrick

- Whomever Cleveland's is

- Semien

- Case Keenum

- Bradford

Players he may end up better than but they are younger/more valuable

Wentz

Mariota (to date)

Osweiler

And Goff may end up better. And Paxton Lynch may end up better. So really we are only drastically better than the Cleveland hell, because the rest have some hope behind them.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
No clue if it would of mattered or made Cutler take the next step, but the amount of OC's he's had is insane and would hinder anyone not named Manning or Brady. JMO

Probably, but my guess is good QBs also tend to make their OCs look better. Joe Flacco has been in similar boat to Cutler with similar offensive talent and stats, but he also plays 16 games a year until very recently.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
No clue if it would of mattered or made Cutler take the next step, but the amount of OC's he's had is insane and would hinder anyone not named Manning or Brady. JMO

I'm so tired of this argument. s*** play calling or not, s*** system or not, Cutler makes some of the dumbest decisions of any QB in the league. Last night was a perfect example. Zero reason to try to throw over a line backer to hit a guy that was barely open, but f*** it, i'm Jay Cutler. I hope to God he's played his last game in a Bears uniform. Complete waste of 8 years. Throw out another 10 project qb's, the results would be the same - s***ty offense resulting in losses.

Trade anyone with trade value. Get 8th round draft picks if you must. Throw out a garbage practice squad team. Blow this piece of s*** franchise up.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:25 AM)
I'm so tired of this argument. s*** play calling or not, s*** system or not, Cutler makes some of the dumbest decisions of any QB in the league. Last night was a perfect example. Zero reason to try to throw over a line backer to hit a guy that was barely open, but f*** it, i'm Jay Cutler. I hope to God he's played his last game in a Bears uniform. Complete waste of 8 years. Throw out another 10 project qb's, the results would be the same - s***ty offense resulting in losses.

Trade anyone with trade value. Get 8th round draft picks if you must. Throw out a garbage practice squad team. Blow this piece of s*** franchise up.

People will be clamoring for Cutler to return in a few short weeks.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
People will be clamoring for Cutler to return in a few short weeks.

Meathead Bears fans. The same ones that continue to praise a team from 30 years ago as if they're still relevant and give the McCaskey's money week after week to watch one of the worst run franchises in the league.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
It's completely fair to be down on Jay and still understand that changing coordinators so often has probably affected his performance because how couldn't it?

Cutler made Gase look good last year obviously.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Meathead Bears fans. The same ones that continue to praise a team from 30 years ago as if they're still relevant and give the McCaskey's money week after week to watch one of the worst run franchises in the league.

you call out meathead fan, then drop the McCaskey burn in the same post shortly after the "blow this up" post. lol

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:32 AM)
It's completely fair to be down on Jay and still understand that changing coordinators so often has probably affected his performance because how couldn't it?

I'm sure that plays a part, but it's been 8 years man. The guy has been given every possible excuse in the book for his poor play. Bad head coaches, bad coordinators, lack of weapons, lack of an offensive line, injuries, blah blah blah.

Bears are something like 3-15 at home the last few seasons. How is that even possible? Total embarrassment.

But again, fans keep showing up. Fans keep believing this is a traditional power-house franchise. It's not. It hasn't been for decades. We're the freaking Lions without the 0-16 season (something to strive for!) What team is going to lose to this s*** show?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:36 AM)
you call out meathead fan, then drop the McCaskey burn in the same post shortly after the "blow this up" post. lol

Which of those arguments do you disagree with? People should still go to every game and give that family more money for a poor product? People should continue to pretend like Ditka and the 85 Bears were the recent past? They shouldn't blow the entire franchise up and start from square one? I mean, to some extent they are on this road already, I realize that. I'm saying pick up the pace and really blow it up. There's no reason to have Jeffrey on the roster. It's a valuable chip. Get something for him before it's too late.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 10:32 AM)

The two great "What Ifs" of the Jay Cutler era. What if he doesn't get hurt in the NFC Championship game vs. Green Bay and what if he doesn't get hurt on that pick vs. San Diego in 2011 when the Bears were 7-3. Both years, the Bears still had the defense to win.

Since that time, no QB would have changed the direction for the Bears. Too many years of misses in the draft. The defensive core aged out without adequate replacements. Now, Jay Cutler is so far down the list of problems with this roster. It's been a complete rebuild over the last couple years, and it's not even close to being done.

Really disappointed in the Goldman injury. He looked really, really good the first two weeks.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)

What? Meathead Bears fans are the ones who hate Cutler more than anything else because he doesn't get mad or yell.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 10:42 AM)
Which of those arguments do you disagree with? People should still go to every game and give that family more money for a poor product? People should continue to pretend like Ditka and the 85 Bears were the recent past? They shouldn't blow the entire franchise up and start from square one? I mean, to some extent they are on this road already, I realize that. I'm saying pick up the pace and really blow it up. There's no reason to have Jeffrey on the roster. It's a valuable chip. Get something for him before it's too late.

The Bears have the money to lock up Jeffrey long term. If they end up drafting a QB next year, it sure would make that QB's transition easier if he has Jeffrey around.