Gurriels Defect

harfman77

Two of the three Gurriel brothers defected this weekend. Yulieski is 31 and is considered the best player in country and has been for quite some time. He plays mainly third base. Lourdes is 22, plays SS but will likely need to be moved to another position. With Danks and LaRoche money coming off the books at the end of the season, these guys seems like prime targets. Yes the Sox have Frazier now at 3B, but the Royals were looking at him for LF, so that would likely mean he has at least some ability to play there. You can have a rotation with Gurriel rotating at 3B, 1B, and DH and Frazier playing 3B, LF, and DH.

Lourdes probably needs some time in the minors, but can come and play 2B if Lawrie falters or move to an OF spot and upgrade the defense. Lourdes will be subject to international spending restrictions if he signs before October so he may wait until then to maximize his contract.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)
Nate Rackley @RackleyNate

@BenBadler Do you see either signing before the start of the 2016 season? If not, a timeframe?

Ben Badler ‏@BenBadler 12m12 minutes ago

No chance. Given MLB's pace, might not see Gurriels playing in games until 2017.

That works perfectly given the money coming off the books with Danks and LaRoche.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 04:52 PM)
Two of the three Gurriel brothers defected this weekend. Yulieski is 31 and is considered the best player in country and has been for quite some time. He plays mainly third base. Lourdes is 22, plays SS but will likely need to be moved to another position. With Danks and LaRoche money coming off the books at the end of the season, these guys seems like prime targets. Yes the Sox have Frazier now at 3B, but the Royals were looking at him for LF, so that would likely mean he has at least some ability to play there. You can have a rotation with Gurriel rotating at 3B, 1B, and DH and Frazier playing 3B, LF, and DH.

Lourdes probably needs some time in the minors, but can come and play 2B if Lawrie falters or move to an OF spot and upgrade the defense. Lourdes will be subject to international spending restrictions if he signs before October so he may wait until then to maximize his contract.

i would, without a shadow of a doubt get both of them .... deal with the logistics later.

I could have sworn Yulieski was already playing in the NPB. I also thought it was spelled, "Gourriel."

Anyway, if I'm thinking of the right guy, he's got major swing-and-miss issues and scouts didn't think he could make enough contact to be a MLB star. Then again, many said the same about Abreu.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 11:08 AM)

@BenBadler Do you see either signing before the start of the 2016 season? If not, a timeframe?

No chance. Given MLB's pace, might not see Gurriels playing in games until 2017.

Pretty wild that it still takes that long.

And also thought it was spelled Gourriel previously as well.

One of them played in Japan recently, if i remember corrrectly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulieski_Gourriel

Yeah, he's the one we all remember from the first WBC....played 2b, then 3b and some SS.

http://www.draysbay.com/2016/2/8/10937180/...ki-gurriel-cuba

Better story with video. Weird it says oldest brother is playing in Quebec at age 33.

He's likely to be $70-100 million. Definitely more than Olivera. Will be in big leagues pretty much from Day 1.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
I could have sworn Yulieski was already playing in the NPB. I also thought it was spelled, "Gourriel."

Anyway, if I'm thinking of the right guy, he's got major swing-and-miss issues and scouts didn't think he could make enough contact to be a MLB star. Then again, many said the same about Abreu.

He hit .305/.349/.536 with 11HR in 62 games in the NPB.

MLB trade rumors spell it without the O and BA spells it with it, so it is probably an edit mistake on mlbtraderumors side.

Badler ranked him as the number one player in Cuba ahead of Abreu, Cespedes, and all the others that have come over.

Badlers scouting report:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/internation...ects-cuba-1-10/

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 12:08 PM)

One of the talking heads on MLB Network mentioned earlier he could see Yulieski playing in about 5 months or so (basically play the second half of the season) since he's not subject to the international signing guidelines. Lourdes he doesn't see getting signed until after October.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 03:48 PM)
are either of them heros?

Not yet. Hero worship doesn't begin until there's three documented pages of homerism before it can quality as hero worship. Think I read the detailed criteria on the blogosphere somewhere. :P

Theme song for this thread... We Could Be Hero's! :wub:

Oh, one more thing. Sure, I'm on board with the idea of trying to sign one of or both of the Guerriels.

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Feb 8, 2016 -> 03:41 PM)
One of the talking heads on MLB Network mentioned earlier he could see Yulieski playing in about 5 months or so (basically play the second half of the season) since he's not subject to the international signing guidelines. Lourdes he doesn't see getting signed until after October.

That would make sense. Things are moving much faster now with the Cuba embargo being eased. Lourdes will get a lot more money if he waits until October, it would almost make sense for him just to play independent baseball this summer to build up a market until he can sign in October.

Really wish we would have seen Yulieski in his prime. Dude would of been a bonefide star here a few years ago if he defected earlier. Had one of the most impressive WBC I've ever seen. Reminds me of what people said about the Hernandez brothers. Livan was younger and really good, but El Duque was actually the stud of the two. Just got here when he was entering the twilight of his prime.