White Sox Sign Mat Latos

Princess Dye

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to think Erik Johnson does you more good in your org right now than as trade bait. Sure he's under team control, but he's in that category along with a bunch of other guys leaguewide who would likely have equal middling value on the trade market.

Johnson had a bounceback year of sorts last year, but the peripherals indicate he has problems still.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:15 PM)
if they "promised" him that already then they really don't have much confidence in Johnson at all.

It wouldn't be the first time that writing was on the wall. For all of the starting pitchers they used last year, he was sure in Charlotte an awful long time.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:19 PM)
Maybe he's matured enough to know this is a Prove It contract and is willing to listen and learn. If he can put it all together, with his past, he could get a hefty contract next year.

If his best offer was 1 year and 3 million dollars, he knows this is his last big shot. If he screws this up, his next offers will be minor league deals. It is now or never for Latos.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:47 PM)
It's almost like EJ was bad last year the way everyone talks about him. Like that 1 fluke bad year was/is the norm and he hasn't been good-great every other year

I agree. I would much rather have Johnson than Danks. Hands down!!! Balances out the rotation for sure. I know Danks is untradeable with his contract but maybe put him in the pen as a lefty arm if possible. 16 million for a reliever is insane i know but your have to pay him regardless. I think Johnson with his make up and bulldog attitude can be a pretty good 5th starter and maybe even a 4th.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:55 PM)
It wouldn't be the first time that writing was on the wall. For all of the starting pitchers they used last year, he was sure in Charlotte an awful long time.

Yep. He sure was.

And this is an org. that gave Noesi a full year (over 2 seasons). Noesi, of course, was Cooper's guy.

As for peripherals, Johnson's strikeout total on the Sox last year was pretty good.

If they want to trade him, then trade him...but it would be nice to do so for a similarly situated young hitter.

On the surface, I think his move has been in the works. With all of the bounceback candidates that are sitting on the sidelines right now, and the Sox rotation lacking proven depth past the #4 spot, it made sense for the Sox to bring in a lottery ticket. Earlier this off-season I guessed it would be Gavin Floyd. Turns out they got a guy who has is only one full season removed from some really damned good numbers, but an injury that seems to have held him back again in 2015. If I had to guess, conditioning will be key for Latos this year. He has to come to camp healthy to really prove himself.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 03:58 PM)
Yep. He sure was.

And this is an org. that gave Noesi a full year (over 2 seasons). Noesi, of course, was Cooper's guy.

As for peripherals, Johnson's strikeout total on the Sox last year was pretty good.

If they want to trade him, then trade him...but it would be nice to do so for a similarly situated young hitter.

His walk rates are still pretty high for a guy who is under a K/IP pace. His homer rate was also really scary for pitching your home games at USCF. And bottom line, the Sox have had years to evaluate Erik Johnson, both in the majors, and in the minors. If they don't think he can cut it, I am going to trust them. I give the White Sox the benefit of the doubt when it comes to pitching.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
His walk rates are still pretty high for a guy who is under a K/IP pace. His homer rate was also really scary for pitching your home games at USCF. And bottom line, the Sox have had years to evaluate Erik Johnson, both in the majors, and in the minors. If they don't think he can cut it, I am going to trust them. I give the White Sox the benefit of the doubt when it comes to pitching.

I guess. But Sox overall pitching has mid mid-pack for years. A couple of really good pitchers surrounded by some dubious sorts.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 04:07 PM)
Is anyone else a little worried that the Sox are done making impact moves? I'm starting to think this may have been it in terms of starters.

I dont think they are done at all. This was an area of weakness and they insulated themselves a little bit in case someone doesnt pan out. I still think an OFer is added in the next week, I'd be really shocked if they decided Desmond was the guy with Anderson so close. Just makes a ton of sense to get Fowler or Jackson out there to improve OF D. You can live with Saladino's bat at short as long as he's providing you plus defense.

Interested to hear how people would stack up the pitching staff if the season started today. Obviously things could happen in the meantime, but think I would run out the following:

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Rodon

SP Latos

SP Johnson

CL Robertson

SU Jones

SU Duke

RP Albers

RP Putnam

RP Petricka

RP Danks