White Sox Sign Mat Latos

Princess Dye

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Interested to hear how people would stack up the pitching staff if the season started today. Obviously things could happen in the meantime, but think I would run out the following:

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Rodon

SP Latos

SP Johnson

CL Robertson

SU Jones

SU Duke

RP Albers

RP Putnam

RP Petricka

RP Danks

We still have Jennings too. It'd be cool if we could trade a reliever for a young controllable player.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested to hear how people would stack up the pitching staff if the season started today. Obviously things could happen in the meantime, but think I would run out the following:

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Rodon

SP Latos

SP Johnson

CL Robertson

SU Jones

SU Duke

RP Albers

RP Putnam

RP Petricka

RP Danks

I think there is zero question that if Johnson isn't in the major league rotation, he is in Charlotte. That being said, the Sox have enough bullpen depth they won't make Danks a reliever. They do know Danks will give them 200 innings, and a mediocre time doing it. If Danks is out, he is out on the street, not in the bullpen.

I would rate their depth as

Sale

Quintana

Rodon

Danks

Latos

Turner

Johnson

Beck

Carroll

Aumont

With Fulmer potentially crashing the party as the season gets later and later. In April Fulmer is no where on that list. By say August, he might be the next guy in line.

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Rodon

SP Latos

SP Johnson

CL Robertson

SU Jones

SU Duke

RP Albers

RP Putnam

RP Petricka

RP Danks

No Jennings? He had a great 2nd half (1.39 ERA) and basically had one bad stretch in May. Outside of that he was rock solid. I'd trust him more than Duke next year.

The Latos signing gives the Sox some really nice possibilities in the short and potentially long term, depending on his health and how he fits in with his teammates.

I'm pretty excited about this signing. Wasn't feeling overly confident with Danks/EJ at the back of the rotation but signing Latos makes me feel better about the SP depth.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 04:28 PM)
No Jennings? He had a great 2nd half (1.39 ERA) and basically had one bad stretch in May. Outside of that he was rock solid. I'd trust him more than Duke next year.

Didn't realize his numbers were that good in the 2nd half, K/BB took a decent dip, but otherwise it looks good. Don't see Johnson making this team then.

Edited by Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 05:01 PM)
Didn't realize his numbers were that good in the 2nd half, K/BB took a decent dip, but otherwise it

looks good. Don't see Johnson making this team then.

The 6 run outing where he took one for the team made his season long numbers look a lot worse than the actually were.

It seems every deal the Sox have made brings out the chirping critics. Stop and think for a moment guys on this deal. We have five starters now and Latos could be #6 or #7. Plus we need a long relief guy. Depth is good thing especially in the pitching area. This is a good move by the Sox. Is he bad in the clubhouse? Probably an exaggeration then anything else. I remember when we had people complaining about signing Jose Abreu

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 05:31 PM)
It seems every deal the Sox have made brings out the chirping critics. Stop and think for a moment guys on this deal. We have five starters now and Latos could be #6 or #7. Plus we need a long relief guy. Depth is good thing especially in the pitching area. This is a good move by the Sox. Is he bad in the clubhouse? Probably an exaggeration then anything else. I remember when we had people complaining about signing Jose Abreu

I think I've seen one poster upset with this move. Everyone else seems in favor of it.

I don't really see why anyone would be upset over this move. I kind of look at it as a "meh" move but it's not a handcuff by any means. The only real concern I have is whether or not Latos is a clubhouse cancer or if he'll butt heads with Cooper like Samardzija. It actually opens a few possibilities for the Sox mid season as well if/when this team is out of contention. If Latos has a decent year they can always trade him at the deadline for something and call up Johnson.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Good deal. Dont know who it bodes worse for between Danks and Johnson

And they are both better pitchers than Latos, IMO. I saw him pitch 2-3 times last year, and it was line drive city. Then he got DFA'd.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 04:58 PM)
Yep. He sure was.

And this is an org. that gave Noesi a full year (over 2 seasons). Noesi, of course, was Cooper's guy.

As for peripherals, Johnson's strikeout total on the Sox last year was pretty good.

If they want to trade him, then trade him...but it would be nice to do so for a similarly situated young hitter.

FWIW, if I were a GM of another team, I wouldn't give you one scrap of talent for Erik Johnson. Not until he proves it in the big leagues. I look at his minor league record and major league/2014 implosion and think he's at best a rebuilding project if my organization were to pick him up, and I can just wait until the White Sox let him go when he runs out of options if I want to try my luck at that.

His big league numbers last year had bad peripherals, he had a major velocity drop for a full season that could have been some sort of lingering injury, and he only had success at AAA when he was in his 3rd stint there at age 25.

If I were a losing team and I shedded a salary I didn't want, fine, I'll take him back, but that's his value to me until he proves he can be a big league pitcher. With this signing, I'd start thinking the White Sox feel the same way.

I thought the Sox were down on Johnson, but after Soxfest, I really don't think so. The guy is sort of robotic now with his new routine. I am not so concerned with bad peripherals considering it was September so the season was extended for him a bit. If the Sox were that down on him, as silly as this sounds, I really doubt he would have been a main guest at a Soxfest seminar. This sets up competition. The Sox needed another starter.

Johnson has nothing to prove in AAA . If he can't crack the rotation now, he either has to go to the bullpen, or be traded. If he is throwing well in spring training, another team is going to have a need, and his paycheck is attractive to others.

Edited by Dick Allen