White Sox Sign Mat Latos

Princess Dye

well, this move really surprise me, i really thought the sox would not make any additional move and all this, so-called talking, was posturing on the sox part.

well, i am coming here, hat is hand to say, i was wrong and with excitement in my voice. when i am wrong, esp here, that means that the sox FO is still working to get it done.

pitching is needed and what a bargain and for 1 yr. a win - win situation. latos needs to redeem himself and what a way to do this, but on the sox, giving the team even a better chance to do something this season.

i am glad i was wrong.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
"Even if I lose the lottery, I just throw the ticket away at no real loss to my bank account." But a lottery ticket is definitively a high-risk purchase. Again, risk =/= price.

I don't really know how else to say but I'm gonna drop it for now.

Risk is about how much something cost either in money or anything else it is not about the odds. A lottery ticket is low risk/high reward, because the only risk you are taking is not having a dollar to thrown in a tip jar at the bar that night while the possible reward is huge. Just because the odds are not good do not make it high risk.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
Risk is about how much something cost either in money or anything else it is not about the odds. A lottery ticket is low risk/high reward, because the only risk you are taking is not having a dollar to thrown in a tip jar at the bar that night while the possible reward is huge. Just because the odds are not good do not make it high risk.

This is how I'm looking at it. No one really plays the lotto expecting to win. But I guess everyone will have their own opinion on what it means.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:59 PM)
Yea this. He seems like he's a dick towards women but if that is an issue than f*** who you gonna sign? Just don't hit women. But cheating and sleeping around and leading girls on? Par for the course for pro athletes.

Exactly. If you were going to field a team based on fidelity, you would have a hard time fielding a team. That stuff is between him and the ladies in his life. Like you said, if he hits them, that's a something different.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
"Even if I lose the lottery, I just throw the ticket away at no real loss to my bank account." But a lottery ticket is definitively a high-risk purchase. Again, risk =/= price.

I don't really know how else to say but I'm gonna drop it for now.

Actually, in the risk/reward spectrum, risk is total value of what can be lost. So in this case, it is nearly 100% made up of price (though one could argue he might cause bad blood in the clubhouse as a side effect, which is a risk).

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 02:03 PM)
40 man is full now, FYI

Daniel Fields, Jerry Sands, Mike Olt, Matt Davidson, Brandon Brennan and one of Kevan Smith or Rob Brantly are all good DFA candidates that likely pass through waivers successfully anyway.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 02:07 PM)
Actually, in the risk/reward spectrum, risk is total value of what can be lost. So in this case, it is nearly 100% made up of price (though one could argue he might cause bad blood in the clubhouse as a side effect, which is a risk).

Daniel Fields, Jerry Sands, Mike Olt, Matt Davidson, Brandon Brennan and one of Kevan Smith or Rob Brantly are all good DFA candidates that likely pass through waivers successfully anyway.

Yep. 40 man being full isn't a big deal.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 01:53 PM)
Steamer had Johnson projected at .5 WAR for the year & Latos at 1.8 WAR. Make no mistake, this move should help the Sox.

One could make that analysis about 75% of the young players. The "proven veteran" is more likely to have the mediocre WAR.

And Williams has been following that philosophy for years, and the results bear it out: mediocrity (usually, not even that).

If anyone's dealt it should be Danks for someone like Ethier (Danks should fit well in Dodger stadium), but knowing the Sox and Cooper, it's far more likely to be EJ.

That said, given the Sox limited budget and insistence on veterans, it's a good signing, and I hope they keep all 6 starters for depth.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
https://thedirty.com/gossip/miami/mat-latos...mat-latos-dick/

Here's just one example of what comes up when you search "matt latos is an ass----"

I read that too, but read like 10 comments and it's pretty quickly disputed. Also, the Dirty isn't very credible in my eyes. They even say anybody can screenshot anything they'd like.

To me, in the world of the internet we can all judge his character. But if it's just cheating, that's his own choice. It has nothing to do with him as a baseball player. I learned many years ago to separate the two. I'm not 7 years old looking up to these guys as heroes. Most all are scumbags, or in the least not capable of being faithful. To each their own. I don't have tens of millions of dollars and women throwing themselves at me. Who am I to judge.

Win games. Prepare to win games. Play with passion. Be mad if you lose. That's all I ask.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 09:11 PM)
Better yet, Puig.

You have been pretty outspoken about his character issues, what stories are you going on?

For Latos, it's just general reputation. Seen some stuff on twitter in last 15 minutes by writers for other teams saying he's a horrible clubhouse person.

Colin DunlapVerified account ‏@colin_dunlap 48m48 minutes ago

I can't get mad at Pirates for not bringing in Mat Latos. Heard from many he's one of worst clubhouse guys out there. Atrocious teammate.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Feb 9, 2016 -> 02:13 PM)
I read that too, but read like 10 comments and it's pretty quickly disputed. Also, the Dirty isn't very credible in my eyes. They even say anybody can screenshot anything they'd like.

To me, in the world of the internet we can all judge his character. But if it's just cheating, that's his own choice. It has nothing to do with him as a baseball player. I learned many years ago to separate the two. I'm not 7 years old looking up to these guys as heroes. Most all are scumbags, or in the least not capable of being faithful. To each their own. I don't have tens of millions of dollars and women throwing themselves at me. Who am I to judge.

Win games. Prepare to win games. Play with passion. Be mad if you lose. That's all I ask.

Wasn't it Josh Fields who retired briefly due to how the players on our team behaved off the field (cheating etc) and it made him uncomfortable?

When people say "low risk/high reward" they really mean low risk/high potential reward, which is fair. It's just shortened it as it's a general acceptance that they mean potential.

I get your point NSS as technically it isn't correct.

Sometimes, there is a conflict between a very open Christian in Adam LaRoche or Fellowship of Christian Athletes group when their diametrically opposed teammates are in the same clubhouse...that's just one example.

Sounds like it might have been the case with Fields.

Edited by caulfield12

Hate the guy, but can't complain about the deal. He has a big incentive to shut up and pitch this year. And hopefully Frazier endorsed it somewhat.

If they go north with 12 pitchers:

Sale, Quintana, Rodon, Latos, Danks

Jennings, Duke, Albers, Petricka, Putnam, Jones, Robertson

A lot can still happen in the next 55 days.

From mlbtraderumors chat:

2:08 Justin: Thoughts on Latos to WSox?

2:09 Steve Adams: Pretty stunned that the deal is $3MM without any sort of incentives. There are tons of reports of Latos' clubhouse persona being a negative, and I've heard from a couple execs who were very averse to the thought of adding him to their clubhouse, but I still expected a bigger guarantee. Love it for the Sox.