Frazier Interested in Extension w/ Sox

Dunt

Heard a conversation with Todd Frazier on the Score this morning and he mentioned that he would very much like to be in Chicago for the rest of his career. He said he really likes the guys in the Sox clubhouse and wants to stay in one place for the rest of his career. Obviously would like to see how he fares against the AL first, but I wouldnt mind the FO starting discussions with Frazier about locking him up long term. Would be great to have the 3rd base situation taken care of for the next 5 years or so.

I've been thinking this was a possibility for both Frazier and Lawrie since they were acquired and both could be a fit as long term solutions. I'm sure both players and the FO want to take some time, play baseball and see if there's a fit for both sides. I wouldn't be surprised if both were extended at some point between now and next winter.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 09:14 AM)
Reminds me of the same stuff that came out last year at this time about Samardzija

Samardzija was very determined to go to FA long before the Sox traded for him. The Sox FO tried to woo Samardzija into changing his mind but thankfully, Samardzija held his ground and went for free agency. Samardzija wasn't willing to extend, Frazier is open to the idea so the scenarios are very different.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 10:39 AM)
Samardzija never once committed to the Sox

Samardzija may have said a couple of things, but he made it 100% clear he wanted to go into free agency.

The bad season last year sunk him, so the Sox wouldn't even bother competing for his services as any contract was an overpayment.

I feel this is more genuine.

Edited by AustinIllini

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 10:56 AM)
Samardzija may have said a couple of things, but he made it 100% clear he wanted to go into free agency.

The bad season last year sunk him, so the Sox wouldn't even bother competing for his services as any contract was an overpayment.

I feel this is more genuine.

I agree with everything here Austin. Frazier just seems like a more personable guy/player. Fans will love him here.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
Sox brass might want to see how Trey M does in Birmingham before making a decision on Frazier.

Not necessarily. I think as Frazier ages he will eventually become a first baseman and should provide a good glove, plus range and good power for the position. LaRoche is gone after '16 and Abreu could move into the DH slot. If Trey isn't ready, Lawrie could play 3B next year and use Sanchez/Saladino at 2B with hopefully Anderson at SS.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:02 PM)
Not necessarily. I think as Frazier ages he will eventually become a first baseman and should provide a good glove, plus range and good power for the position. LaRoche is gone after '16 and Abreu could move into the DH slot. If Trey isn't ready, Lawrie could play 3B next year and use Sanchez/Saladino at 2B with hopefully Anderson at SS.

i agree and many others made excellent pov.

finding a position for him will not be a factor.

but i think it is up to the owners.

why are all the fa's signees doesn't really go beyound 2 yrs???

it is just me and looking too deep, maybe.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:20 AM)
i agree and many others made excellent pov.

finding a position for him will not be a factor.

but i think it is up to the owners.

why are all the fa's signees doesn't really go beyound 2 yrs???

it is just me and looking too deep, maybe.

What exactly is that supposed to mean? Are you implying that the Sox don't go more than 2 years on free agents? That is simply not true. Last offseason they gave a 4 year deal to Robertson and 3 year deals to Duke and Cabrera. Two years ago they gave a 6 year deal to Abreu who had never even played in the Majors.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 08:37 AM)
Heard a conversation with Todd Frazier on the Score this morning and he mentioned that he would very much like to be in Chicago for the rest of his career. He said he really likes the guys in the Sox clubhouse and wants to stay in one place for the rest of his career. Obviously would like to see how he fares against the AL first, but I wouldnt mind the FO starting discussions with Frazier about locking him up long term. Would be great to have the 3rd base situation taken care of for the next 5 years or so.

The longer you wait to get a deal done, the less likely it is it can happen.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 09:33 AM)
I'm sure Frazier will be happy to sign a market-rate extension.

We've only been dating a couple months Todd, let's at least live together for a year before we think about long-term.

I know can he even cook n clean

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 10:54 AM)
Sox brass might want to see how Trey M does in Birmingham before making a decision on Frazier.

He will be a free agent by the time Trey is ready to be a starting 3B, even from a liberal path to the majors. The kid turned 21 two days ago, and has yet to see a pitch at AA. If he forces himself on the scene that quickly, it will be a great problem to have.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)

I'm curious how common it is for a third baseman to shift over to 1B as he ages. Outside of Miguel Cabrera who are some other examples of plus-offensive guys moving from 3rd to 1st in the last few decades? Chipper went out to left, Arod doesn't apply to this convo, Beltre no, Rolen no. Is this really a thing?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 1, 2016 -> 05:28 PM)
I'm curious how common it is for a third baseman to shift over to 1B as he ages. Outside of Miguel Cabrera who are some other examples of plus-offensive guys moving from 3rd to 1st in the last few decades? Chipper went out to left, Arod doesn't apply to this convo, Beltre no, Rolen no. Is this really a thing?

I think it is pretty common. Not necessarily because of aging, just maybe incompetence at 3B. Some with White Sox ties Dick Allen, Jim Thome, Paul Konerko. I would guess a good percentage of RH first baseman started their professional careers at a different position.

Edited by Dick Allen