Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
I highly doubt it, especially with him leaking what caused it.

It was a decision made in the heat of the moment.

Now that it is out I think it makes for all the more reason why he would want to come back and make nice somehow. Who wants to retire because of a petty argument about their kid being allowed in the clubhouse everyday?

I dont know, its all so stupid.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:39 PM)
I agree with the White Sox and you. But the defense of LaRoche on Twitter by players, fans, media personalities, etc. makes us look bad

Haven't seen much negative reaction by the media. As for the players, of course they're going to stick up for LaRoche.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)
I just think it is bad to change the policy in the middle of spring training. You gave the kid a locker and a uniform, now you say he can't come in? Unless he did something dreadful, that seems to me to be a bit petty, and using the kid to try to punish or whatever to LaRoche is weak. From the articles I linked, the kid is supposed to be a real good kid who knew his place, and he wasn't in the clubhouse and on the field all the time. He was limited.

Lots of new people in the clubhouse this year. It could be that some of them didn't like having a 14-year-old around constantly. I don't blame them.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:38 PM)
Sounds like Drake's presence was no longer limited, according to KW today.

He didn't call the Sox evil but he's clearly telling his friends they're persecuting him or some nonsense.

Thank god we got his opinion.

This spring he has been around all the time, but LaRoche has been hurt and unable to do anything anyway. The article I linked stated he had limited access during the season, and he played on a couple of teams so he wasn't around every game.

This is just KW being KW. It shouldn't have been a surprise Drake LaRoche would be at spring training daily. He was last year as well. In the article it said LaRoche's wife and daughter don't come to AZ until about halfway through spring training. KW should have said something before spring training started. That's all I'm saying. It's obvious he is frustrated by LaRoche's performance/injury/whatever, and he took it out on the kid. I don't think it makes the White Sox evil at all. I do think it shows how petty KW can be.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:43 PM)
This spring he has been around all the time, but LaRoche has been hurt and unable to do anything anyway. The article I linked stated he had limited access during the season, and he played on a couple of teams so he wasn't around every game.

This is just KW being KW. It shouldn't have been a surprise Drake LaRoche would be at spring training daily. He was last year as well. In the article it said LaRoche's wife and daughter don't come to AZ until about halfway through spring training. KW should have said something before spring training started. That's all I'm saying. It's obvious he is frustrated by LaRoche's performance/injury/whatever, and he took it out on the kid. I don't think it makes the White Sox evil at all. I do think it shows how petty KW can be.

, I'm sure this isn't just KW's decision.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 07:42 PM)
And my response is: So what?

Their isn't a single fan that isn't coming to the park because of this story. And if someone won't sign here because the Sox don't run a daycare at the stadium, oh well.

If anything, it increases their chances at winning more regular season games, which in turn will lead to increased attendance

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:43 PM)

I don't think that's obvious at all. It's more likely that he heard complaints from multiple players.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:39 PM)
I agree with the White Sox and you. But the defense of LaRoche on Twitter by players, fans, media personalities, etc. makes us look bad

It isn't a black or white thing. I think they are both right. The Sox have the right to control the work environment, and LaRoche has the right (and ability) to quit his job and do what he wants to do. More power both of them. I don't get LaRoche choosing that as an issue to quit on, but if he believes it in that much, good for him to stand up for it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Damn, there goes our chances at getting Harper for 400 million:

Bryce Harper ‏@Bharper3407 5m5 minutes ago

Good for you Roche! Nothing like father and son in the clubhouse..It's a FAMILY game #FamilyFirst

So, what is the next up and coming clause in a players contract? They are already massively overpaid, get ridiculous opt-outs, etc. Looks like it is time to include a clause in their contract that gives them the ability to bring their family and friends into the clubhouse at all times. It is absolutely ridiculous. This is not about #Family First; this is about being a responsible employee that is loyal to the employer overpaying you by $13M a year. And being a responsible employee is not bringing your kid to work. Being a responsible employee and parent is putting your kid in school. It is getting harder and harder to respect professional ballplayers, it really is.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:26 PM)
Sources: LaRoche chose to retire after #WhiteSox prez Ken Williams told him that he no longer could bring 14-year-old son into clubhouse.

LaRoche’s son, Drake, 14, has traveled with him for several years. Adam, in a Chicago Tribune story last year, called him team’s “26th man.”

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/710181386380947456

LaRoche’s friend, #Brewers pitcher Blaine Boyer: “He’s an unbelievable father, an unbelievable husband, a friend you can only dream of.”

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/710181602412769280

Boyer added: “I honestly think this is between good and evil. I know which side Adam lives on. I’m thankful to see the way he’s acting…

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/710181745233006592

“…it’s an unbelievable test of who he is, the husband he is, the father he is.”

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/710181821770702848

Source: LaRoche told #WhiteSox yesterday he would take a “couple of days” before making final decision on retirement.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/710182825836711936

does anyone remembers the story of ozzie's kids and the manager telling him or something of not having them around all the time? this was when ozzie was a player.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:45 PM)
I don't think that's obvious at all. It's more likely that he heard complaints from multiple players.

I doubt that. From all accounts, both with the Nats and White Sox, this kid is supposedly a really good kid. If he was a distraction, they would want him gone. KW said he just didn't want him there every day.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)
I doubt that. From all accounts, both with the Nats and White Sox, this kid is supposedly a really good kid. If he was a distraction, they would want him gone. KW said he just didn't want him there every day.

Even the nicest people in the world can get on people's nerves if they're constantly around.

To me I have no problem with the Sox asking him to dial it back. Its a business not a day care. Seems the Sox did everything they could and making it comfortable for Drake to be there. But Laroche is payed to play and produce but he didn't last year. If he was embarrassed of the way he played last year you would think he would be more embarrassed that his kid has to watch him play like crap. I'm sure things might not go well in the club house at times but having the kid sit there all time and possibly see that stuff isn't very good either.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:36 PM)
Damn, there goes our chances at getting Harper for 400 million:

Bryce Harper ‏@Bharper3407 5m5 minutes ago

Good for you Roche! Nothing like father and son in the clubhouse..It's a FAMILY game #FamilyFirst

Do we know if his kid was in the Nationals clubhouse 100% of the time?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:50 PM)

I don't know. Even is he is a great kid I don't think I would want a 14 year old around all the time. I would feel like I would have to watch what I do or say all the time because I wouldn't want to expose a 14 year old to anything he shouldn't be exposed to. (foul language, dirty jokes, whatever it may be)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
It isn't a black or white thing. I think they are both right. The Sox have the right to control the work environment, and LaRoche has the right (and ability) to quit his job and do what he wants to do. More power both of them. I don't get LaRoche choosing that as an issue to quit on, but if he believes it in that much, good for him to stand up for it.

The thing with LaRoche is that he sucked last year and it was clear his body wasn't going to really hold up after that injury last week. So if he wasn't going to be good and he was going to be hurting, at least he was going to have his son around. But with the Sox dropping the hammer on that, he'd literally have nothing to play for. I can see why he wanted to retire.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 02:52 PM)
This is a really stupid question, but does LaRoche's kid go to any type of schooling?

I understand wanting to be in a Major League clubhouse with your dad, but the kid was getting really annoying.

He is home schooled.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 08:53 PM)
I don't know. Even is he is a great kid I don't think I would want a 14 year old around all the time. I would feel like I would have to watch what I do or say all the time because I wouldn't want to expose a 14 year old to anything he shouldn't be exposed to. (foul language, dirty jokes, whatever it may be)

Wouldn't it be hilarious if it was Avila (great clubhouse guy, been around baseball his whole life) who said something and not Latos/Lawrie