Adam LaRoche retires

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
I gave AL the benefit of the doubt until this came out. LaRoche isn't holding up his end of the contract (to perform) so there is nothing wrong with the Sox asking him to dial back his son being there.

I agree 100%

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Then the entire team should be annoyed with each other.

Many teams let their kids in the clubhouse, many have a policy against it. Either is OK. Just don't have one that allows it, and then ask the player who this means so much, to not take advantage. As the earlier post stated, does he have this conversation if LaRoche had a big year last year, and was healthy this spring? I don't think he does. If the truth is he would, then I apologize to KW.

Perhaps it's the Sox's front office fault for not setting boundaries. Kenny did this spring, and LaRoche apparently wasn't happy about it. So be it.

To answer your question, my guess is that LaRoche would've gotten more leeway if he had put up a .900 OPS last season. Superstars get preferential treatment (e.g., Barry Bonds' private room, complete with recliner and video game system in the Giants clubhouse). That said, I don't think that Kenny used this situation to force LaRoche off the team and $13M back into his organization's coffers. I honestly think that some of the new guys complained about it and that Kenny had no reason to give LaRoche special treatment.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:14 PM)
Taking my post out of context and ignoring my explanation of it seems to be popular right now

Everything will be fine once the Sox dedicate the 2016 season to Adam and his son.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:16 PM)
Everything will be fine once the Sox dedicate the 2016 season to Adam and his son.

Again, you're just ignoring my explanation and are completely misinterpreting my stance. Taking me out of context and telling me to chill, saying "smh" (these aren't you, just examples) doesn't make sense when I agree with you guys.

I'm fine with what Dick is saying, but we have to keep in mind that there are a TON of new ballplayers. If some of them express difficulty doing their actual jobs with a kid there the whole time, Sox have the right to bring it up and try and find a medium.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:13 PM)
Perhaps it's the Sox's front office fault for not setting boundaries. Kenny did this spring, and LaRoche apparently wasn't happy about it. So be it.

To answer your question, my guess is that LaRoche would've gotten more leeway if he had put up a .900 OPS last season. Superstars get preferential treatment (e.g., Barry Bonds' private room, complete with recliner and video game system in the Giants clubhouse). That said, I don't think that Kenny used this situation to force LaRoche off the team and $13M back into his organization's coffers. I honestly think that some of the new guys complained about it and that Kenny had no reason to give LaRoche special treatment.

The other thing is, you say something like KW says, and how is LaRoche ever going to be comfortable ever bringing his kid in the clubhouse, whether it's once a week or once a month? You know KW is taking attendance. What is the cutoff between fine and too much? LaRoche walked away from a lot of money in a rather short period of time. Obviously having his son there meant a lot to him. As I said, I have no problem with the White Sox having a policy you can't bring your kid in every day, but they should have had it in place a while ago. If the White Sox could have signed Alex Gordon but Alex wanted his kid in the clubhouse every day during spring training, I really doubt KW would have said that would be a deal breaker. And if he did and that news came out, everyone would rightfully be blasting KW.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:00 PM)
Then the entire team should be annoyed with each other.

Many teams let their kids in the clubhouse, many have a policy against it. Either is OK. Just don't have one that allows it, and then ask the player who this means so much, to not take advantage. As the earlier post stated, does he have this conversation if LaRoche had a big year last year, and was healthy this spring? I don't think he does. If the truth is he would, then I apologize to KW.

They just asked him to dial it back and not have his kid there every single day. That's not unreasonable.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
Headlines like this make the Sox look bad, even though they are a stretch on the truth:

Yahoo Sports Retweeted

Big League Stew ‏@bigleaguestew 4m4 minutes ago

White Sox told Adam LaRoche his son couldn't be in clubhouse http://dlvr.it/KpH1Rj

Sensationalism and clickbait matter more than the truth these days. Especially to corporate basket cases like Yahoo.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:18 PM)
Again, you're just ignoring my explanation and are completely misinterpreting my stance. Taking me out of context and telling me to chill, saying "smh" (these aren't you, just examples) doesn't make sense when I agree with you guys.

I didn't tell you to chill. I have no problem with what you posted.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:21 PM)
They just asked him to dial it back and not have his kid there every single day. That's not unreasonable.

Maybe not, but still it is an unwelcome sign. What constitutes the amount of dialing it back? If he is a distraction every day, why wouldn't he be a distraction once a week?

Bryce Harper ‎@Bharper3407

Good for you Roche! Nothing like father and son in the clubhouse..It's a FAMILY game #FamilyFirst

LOL WTF. It's a job he's paid $13 million to do and he stunk it up last year. Also, doesn't his kid have to go to school or something?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
The other thing is, you say something like KW says, and how is LaRoche ever going to be comfortable ever bringing his kid in the clubhouse, whether it's once a week or once a month? You know KW is taking attendance. What is the cutoff between fine and too much? LaRoche walked away from a lot of money in a rather short period of time. Obviously having his son there meant a lot to him. As I said, I have no problem with the White Sox having a policy you can't bring your kid in every day, but they should have had it in place a while ago. If the White Sox could have signed Alex Gordon but Alex wanted his kid in the clubhouse every day during spring training, I really doubt KW would have said that would be a deal breaker.

The Sox probably didn't have a specific policy before because they hadn't had a player abuse the privilege like LaRoche has. C'mon, who brings their kid into work every single day?

Also, Kenny simply told LaRoche to "tone it down" and specifically said "less than half the time." And none of this was public before LaRoche's buddies began throwing the Sox under the bus on Twitter.

If I were LaRoche and still wanted to play and earn my $13M for this season, I would've told Kenny that I understand and I would've brought my son into the clubhouse once a week. LaRoche was obviously not happy in his current situation and wanted an excuse to leave.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:24 PM)
Maybe not, but still it is an unwelcome sign. What constitutes the amount of dialing it back? If he is a distraction every day, why wouldn't he be a distraction once a week?

They said it wasn't a distraction, but what constitutes LaRoche bringing his kid to work every single day? In no business is that acceptable.

The Sox dont look bad in this situation to me. KW on the other hand looks like a complete ***. KW has to go and for me this just throws more fuel onto that fire. To say your not changing a policy but he can't have his kid there more then 50% of the time is completely chaging the policy.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:27 PM)
Wow, so maybe LaRoche wasn't doing what they asked:

Colleen Kane

‏@ChiTribKane

Ken Williams said he first talked to Adam LaRoche about cutting back on Drake's time in clubhouse a week ago, then again Sunday

He better stay outta White Sox Business.

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 16, 2016 -> 03:28 PM)
I'm going to take this a step further. I'm actually proud of the Sox for knowing they were going to take a PR hit for this, and still did it.

This didn't start with Williams or Rick. This was brought to their attention by players, there is no doubt in my mind. And I'm sure LaRoche knew that, which I'm sure was part of his decision to walk away, that has to be tough to walk back into that clubhouse knowing players had an issue with him bringing his son in the clubhouse.

Kenny took the bullet, and the players have the locker room they want.

I agree 100%.