Your new Supreme Court nominee is....

southsider2k5

Will any SC decision (involving Kavanaugh and Thomas) about women’s rights the next 30-40 years be taken as anything besides an act of war on women/privacy?

If Garland is blocked and now this clown goes through, it’s going to be a 50-60 seat gain in the House and a Senate takeover in November.  Best case scenario for Trump is to survive to 2020 but then decide not to risk losing and withdraw from politics, essentially declaring Mission Accomplished.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Will any SC decision (involving Kavanaugh and Thomas) about women’s rights the next 30-40 years be taken as anything besides an act of war on women/privacy?

If Garland is blocked and this clown goes through, it’s going to be a 50-60 seat gain in the House and a Senate takeover in November.  Best case scenario for Trump is to survive to 2020 but then decide not to risk losing and withdraw from politics, essentially declaring Mission Accomplished.

Yep, Trump has a very razor thin chance of not turning on the fence people into full blown democrats.  Dump Kavanaugh, he's a virus that will destroy the GOP.

Just now, pettie4sox said:

Yep, Trump has a very razor thin chance of not turning on the fence people into full blown democrats.  Dump Kavanaugh, he's a virus that will destroy the GOP.

Again, I was watching something after I came home from the Sox game last night, and the reporter said he talked to many GOP people, and according to them, having Kavanaugh seated on the SCOTUS, would be well worth losing both the House and the Senate.

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Her recollection of Mark Judge working at a grocery store also matches with his own autobiographical work that describes his time working as a bag boy at a local grocery store.

One of the Democrats better have poured through these to point out discrepancies.

41 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

His anger and indignation seems to be coming from a sense of entitlement, that he's owed this Supreme Court seat, that it's rightfully his.

He sounds like he feels even having to be here is beneath him. How dare he ever be questioned or denied what he wants and believes is due to him.

1 minute ago, pettie4sox said:

Murkowski and Collins will flip.  They have no choice.

Normally, I would agree with you, but I saw an interview with Collins, and there was something about it where she seemed bought off. She did say he wouldn't overturn Roe v Wade, which I find hysterically naive. But perhaps now she has no choice. That's the hope.

From what I've seen, I would bet on Kavanaugh not making it at this point. All they need is one of Collins, Murkowski and/or Flake to flip, and I just don't believe they will all hold with this guy. Only takes one. Or heck some other one we aren't even discussing yet could come out of the woodwork.

My prediction (which guarantees this won't happen lol) is he makes it through committee, one or two of the triad says publicly they won't vote for him and then they have to decide to vote or not. Probably they vote anyway to get everyone on record, he fails, and Trump has to start all over again.

6 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

From what I've seen, I would bet on Kavanaugh not making it at this point. All they need is one of Collins, Murkowski and/or Flake to flip, and I just don't believe they will all hold with this guy. Only takes one. Or heck some other one we aren't even discussing yet could come out of the woodwork.

My prediction (which guarantees this won't happen lol) is he makes it through committee, one or two of the triad says publicly they won't vote for him and then they have to decide to vote or not. Probably they vote anyway to get everyone on record, he fails, and Trump has to start all over again.

2 votes, no?  Senate is 51-49 at the moment, and Pence breaks a 50-50 deadlock.

8 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

They need two, 50 + Pence gets him in right? Murkowski *seems* like a no right now. Don't trust Collins. Gotta figure Flake is a yes.

Don't know what to expect. Either her performance this morning and Kavanaugh's shitshow this afternoon have rankled enough GOP that it's clear McConnell doesn't have nearly enough votes, or they're sitting on 48 or 49 and he's going to bring it to a floor vote regardless of judiciary, jam his caucus and force them to play their cards a la ACA repeal.

4 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

They need two, 50 + Pence gets him in right? Murkowski *seems* like a no right now. Don't trust Collins. Gotta figure Flake is a yes.

Don't know what to expect. Either her performance this morning and Kavanaugh's shitshow this afternoon have rankled enough GOP that it's clear McConnell doesn't have nearly enough votes, or they're sitting on 48 or 49 and he's going to bring it to a floor vote regardless of judiciary, jam his caucus and force them to play their cards a la ACA repeal.

You know, I think I was assuming McCain's seat was still open. Forgot they put Kyl in there. So I was thinking it was effectively 50-49 party split. Sorry.

2 of 3 (or really just 2 period) is harder, but this is not one of those that's predictable. I'd call it even money right now and would not bet either way.

This whole thing is bananas.

3 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

You know, I think I was assuming McCain's seat was still open. Forgot they put Kyl in there. So I was thinking it was effectively 50-49 party split. Sorry.

2 of 3 (or really just 2 period) is harder, but this is not one of those that's predictable. I'd call it even money right now and would not bet either way.

This whole thing is bananas.

Love that the fate of our constitutional structure for the next 30-40 years hangs in the balance of this