4/11 Game thread: @ Minnesota, 3:10pm, CSN/WLS

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
Quintana is not as hard luck as everyone likes to make him out to be. He often causes these problems himself.

I know it's unfair and nonsensical, but I definitely feel with Quintana like the worst thing you can give him is a lead.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
I know it's unfair and nonsensical, but I definitely feel with Quintana like the worst thing you can give him is a lead.

It's hard to tell, because he rarely gets that

You are talking about a guy that has been in the top 17 pitchers for three full seasons in a row for worst run support in the AL. If that isn't bad luck, I don't know what is.

He definitely has "bad luck", more so than most pitchers, but its usually in the form of garbage defense.

There are many games where the Sox have given Quintana a lead and Quintana hasn't held it. Maybe its been only a 1 or 2 run lead, but a top 20 pitcher holds that lead more often than not IMO.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)
He definitely has "bad luck", more so than most pitchers, but its usually in the form of garbage defense.

There are many games where the Sox have given Quintana a lead and Quintana hasn't held it. Maybe its been only a 1 or 2 run lead, but a top 20 pitcher holds that lead more often than not IMO.

Yeah until you link to the boxscores of all these numerous leads Quintana has blown, I'm not buying it.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 04:39 PM)
Yeah until you link to the boxscores of all these numerous leads Quintana has blown, I'm not buying it.

I think he throws too many pitches and does not go deep enough into games as much as he should.

It is valid argument it is not like he said he stinks just that the woo is me thing is a bit of his own doing.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 04:36 PM)

Yeah, I'd hardly call blowing a 1-0 lead to lose 2-1, fair. If he gets normal run support in most games, those "blown leads" aren't even thought about.

Perfect counter example, Chris Sale gets a 2-0 lead, blows it. He is down 3-2. But the offense comes back and gets him 5 more runs, and no one cares. Those things magnify more when you don't get run support. When you get run support, no one remembers.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 04:30 PM)
Quintana is not as hard luck as everyone likes to make him out to be. He often causes these problems himself.

He's not a perfect pitcher, no pitcher is.

He'll get in trouble here and there, but the problem is that our offense usually doesn't give him big enough leads (or leads at all) to give him a cushion for mistakes.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Apr 11, 2016 -> 04:43 PM)
I think he throws too many pitches and does not go deep enough into games as much as he should.

It is valid argument it is not like he said he stinks just that the woo is me thing is a bit of his own doing.

He's 13th in IP among all pitchers from 2013-2015.