Miguel Gonzalez getting called up, Danks skipped

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 12:04 AM)
So Danks and Avi are getting benched and skipped regularly? What about loyalty?

Uvthink I understand and agree with your comment. They made the team and then get skipped over more than once early in the season. An argument could be made that they have not been producing I suppose but Danks did better his last time out. Maybe loyalty as we know it leftvwitg the debacle we saw between KW and Laroche

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Apr 24, 2016 -> 10:09 PM)
Ventura is not going to start heaping dirt on a veteran player like Dank's grave, but its obvious that Danks is on the outs.

I'm wondering why now. Danks was decent against the Angels in his last start and with the amount of money Danks is owed I figured they would give him at least another couple starts before making a move like this. Three possible reasons for this happening now:

1) last year of Danks deal, money is spent either way

2) the team looks good, cant afford to sacrifice games early in the season trying to wrestle some value out of Danks

3) Danks has admitted to coaches he's done and wont be upset if the Sox phase him out

Saw it in this thread.

re-reading it, it's just a suggestion. Can't imagine Danks doing it. But it was raised as a possible theory here.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:33 AM)
Since Gonzalez has no options left? Anyone think he or Danks will be sent to the bullpen for long relief and send Petricka or Putnam down?

Petricka and Putnam arent going anywhere

Since Gonzalez has no options left? Anyone think he or Danks will be sent to the bullpen for long relief and send Petricka or Putnam down?

Are we positive that he's out of options? Scott Merkin said that he has one yesterday

It's nice the Sox are addressing this. Even if MG isnt the answer, at least they are not content.

The DH thing too.............you get the sense they are gonna act on that, but are picking the right circumstances (my own personal prediction on that-- Garcia and Sands get a few weeks to battle it out, then maybe a cheap scrap heap guy gets introduced.........and finally if nothing else has materialized they will pursue Morneau when he's ready to play and will spend $).

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
It's nice the Sox are addressing this. Even if MG isnt the answer, at least they are not content.

The DH thing too.............you get the sense they are gonna act on that, but are picking the right circumstances (my own personal prediction on that-- Garcia and Sands get a few weeks to battle it out, then maybe a cheap scrap heap guy gets introduced.........and finally if nothing else has materialized they will pursue Morneau when he's ready to play and will spend $).

Despite the perpetual playing of the LOYALTY meme, and the meme that the front office and management staff are complete idiots, the White Sox spent an entire winter, and most of the spring, trying to get rid of a lot of people. They brought in a ton of replacement players. In pitchers alone they brought in Latos, Turner, and Gonzalez, plus a whole slew of other minor leaguers.

You can also bet they are still working the phones trying to get better players, but there is no one biting at this stage of the game. With the team off to a good start, and LaRoche's money still left to play, you can bet your house that if this team stays in it, they will be one of the leaders on the trade market, when the trade market actually forms this year. The problem is no one is willing to make deals this early into the season. Realistically you have probably got 6 to 8 weeks before teams are really going to be willing to deal away players.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 11:48 AM)
Petricka and Putnam arent going anywhere

If Gonzalez pitches well, it wouldn't shock me to see a DL trip for Putnam or Jennings. If Jennings has options left, he would be the one I would imagine would get sent down. They are currently using him as a long man and junk reliever.

Certainly hope not. I was worried about those 2 a couple of weeks ago, but they've settled down. Jennings has out-pitched Danks as well.

If Gonzalez takes the #5 role, the Sox may keep Danks on the 25 as a legacy, but it would really be a waste of a spot. Now is not the time to experiment with him and see if he can pitch in relief.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 07:14 PM)
I feel like tonight's game was formulated in a lab for the purpose of giving Sox fans perspective about 5th starters.

What have we learned?

The Baltimore Orioles released him. That was probably all we needed to know. I know everyone hates Danks, but there just aren't enough good starters to go around baseball. Unless you are extremely lucky, your staff is always going to have one or two guys you are looking to upgrade on.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 07:18 PM)
That if Danks didn't suck so bad, he would have started tonight.

Sort of, but not this game's lesson...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 07:23 PM)
The Baltimore Orioles released him. That was probably all we needed to know. I know everyone hates Danks, but there just aren't enough good starters to go around baseball. Unless you are extremely lucky, your staff is always going to have one or two guys you are looking to upgrade on.

Correct answer.

I blame this whole debacle on Erik Johnson being a f***ing bust. I suppose I've been spoiled with the last several years of Sale, Quintana and Rodon but had Johnson lived up to his potential we would never be hearing the names "Danks" or "Gonzalez" again.

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Apr 25, 2016 -> 06:47 PM)
I blame this whole debacle on Erik Johnson being a f***ing bust. I suppose I've been spoiled with the last several years of Sale, Quintana and Rodon but had Johnson lived up to his potential we would never be hearing the names "Danks" or "Gonzalez" again.

Well we had guys like Bassitt but apparently we didn't recognize his talent.