Vacation/Travel Thread

Texsox

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 14, 2016 -> 07:13 PM)
I'm going to Denver with the lady the week after this. Unfortunately, the Rockies are out of town but were there for four days. We're staying in a AirBnB house in the Indian Creek neighborhood. I know we'll hit up at least one brewery and go hiking another day but any other suggestions or shared experiences would be appreciated.

Are you renting a car and looking to venture around or prefer to be in the downtown area?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 11:02 AM)
We're just going to uber everywhere we can't walk.

Cool. If you guys feel like checking more of an up and coming neighborhood, a couple miles from downtown, an area on Tennyson St. between 38th and 46th is really cool. Great restaurants (Parisi, El Chingon, Mas Kaos, Atomic Cowboy, The Royal, Hops & Pie, and more), bars, and breweries (Call to Arms, De Steeg). Great place to go and hang out for an afternoon/evening if you are looking to stay in Denver but get away from downtown.

Union Station and that surrounding area is brand new and really cool. If you cross the river into Lo-Hi there are some cool places. Little Man Ice Cream, Linger, Denver Beer Co is awesome.

Feel free to PM me while you're out here if you have any specific questions about anything.

Mostly went to see some shows. Flew out to Denver to do Denver things and to see My Morning Jacket play a pair at Red Rocks, Phish played two at Wrigley, saw Guns N Roses at Soldier Field. This weekend is the crescendo with Pearl Jam playing Wrigley on Saturday and Monday, and Wilco at Pritzker Pavilion sandwiched in between on Sunday.

Also caught more Sox games than I have since I held split season tickets, but that'll be it for this year's rendition of a dumpster on fire unless I decided to go for more Polish w/ grilled onions.

Still planning on a 3-4 day trip to Cedar Point, Kennywood and Kings Island before September is up.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Aug 15, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
RiNo (River North) has been blowing up lately too. Great Divide has a new brewery and taproom over that way that's pretty awesome.

Echoing a lot of Kevo's recommendations. The Tennyson area is great but it's on the other side of Denver from where you are staying. Denver Beer Co. has one of the nicest patios of any brewery and is walkable from downtown. I'd recommend Ratio Beerworks in the River North area. If you are looking for good food and great beer together, Crafty Fox, Hops and Pie, Freshcraft, and Colorado Plus are great options.

If you are looking to get a hike in and aren't renting a car, go to Golden - not that far out of the city. There's a couple of pretty solid hikes that start right outside of downtown Golden (Chimney Gulch starts right outside Golden) and Golden has some really great breweries (Mountain Toad and Cannonball Creek in particular).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 18, 2016 -> 02:02 PM)
Went to Disney over the weekend. I feel like after that I need an actual vacation for myself.

I think my wife and I are officially Disney people. We love going there and a big component is planning the trip. We've gone 2 out of the last 3 years with our son who was 2 and then 3. The key is spending 3-5 days at Disney and then going over to a beach town for the remainder of your vacation to relax.

Hopefully you had a good time. Too many people read up on the hype/hysteria about how awful Disney is and I just don't get it. Yes, having a screaming 3 year old in the middle of the park sucks. Yes, they are some long ass days. But when your kid freaks out over seeing Mickey or riding Splash Mountain or whatever? Totally worth the hassle.

Anyone know anything about coastal North Carolina and have recommendations for activities/food? We're heading to Holden Beach for a wedding and spending a week or so there. It's about halfway between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Seems to be a VERY laid back beach town.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 09:21 AM)
Anyone know anything about coastal North Carolina and have recommendations for activities/food? We're heading to Holden Beach for a wedding and spending a week or so there. It's about halfway between Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Seems to be a VERY laid back beach town.

You are going right next to where my parents live, they're in St. James.

I've only spent a week there, but here's what little tips I can give:

-If you're near Wilmington at all, or have a day to explore, go to the USS North Carolina. Incredibly cool experience, you pretty much have free reign on the ship. Little kids are not encourage though, they'd find half of it cool, the other half would be a pain getting them up/down the ship ladders and they probably wouldn't care about most of the living quarters.

-The beach seemed nice, but I typically go around Thanksgiving so didn't go in the water. But this is exactly where all those shark attacks happen, so be careful.

-Golf is in abundance there, we played mostly at my parent's community course but if you're thinking about bringing clubs I would go.

-Southport has a ferry to Fort Fisher, another cool little experience. The aquarium is right there too, but it wasn't much to see compared to Shedd (shocker). Kids would love it though, definitely geared more towards them and have some fun live shows that a bunch of kids were watching. The ferry itself was a great ride, lots of great views going up the intercoastal. EDIT: Actually I think we did the ferry from Wilmington to Fort Fisher, but would recommend the experience.

-And of course, find a local BBQ joint as well as local fish shops and enjoy.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 07:18 AM)
I think my wife and I are officially Disney people. We love going there and a big component is planning the trip. We've gone 2 out of the last 3 years with our son who was 2 and then 3. The key is spending 3-5 days at Disney and then going over to a beach town for the remainder of your vacation to relax.

Hopefully you had a good time. Too many people read up on the hype/hysteria about how awful Disney is and I just don't get it. Yes, having a screaming 3 year old in the middle of the park sucks. Yes, they are some long ass days. But when your kid freaks out over seeing Mickey or riding Splash Mountain or whatever? Totally worth the hassle.

My only rule is when I go to disneyland / world it can't be super hot and I can't go in peak season. As long as I don't have just absurd lines, I think it is a fantastic and fun place to go. It is absolutely a lot of work with the kids but seeing them run around and smile, etc, makes it all worth it. Plus, you get to be a kid again too and there is something nostalgic about the place (maybe partly because I grew up near Disneyland so lots of locals had season passes...before disneyland prices went absurd, so had plenty of fun adventures there with friends and kind of relieve that whenever I do go back). I actually think our first real plane trip will be to Disneyworld and I should have a conference there in the winter (I think February so when most schools are back) which might actually be a perfect time. The only hard part would be the leg of the flight my wife would have to do on her own with the little ones.

I've been in Orlando during August for a conference, never again. I stepped outside the hotel and was drenched in sweat, holy moly that humidity/heat combo is insane.

I've been there in November for a conference as well and that was very pleasant.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 22, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
Wow, thank you for all of the great recommendations guys. I am going to print all this out so I have it for when I leave Thursday.

Kevo, or anyone really, we're definitely looking to spend some time at a brewery or two. Was there one in particular that has a great tour?

No problem. The only brewery where I have actually done a tour is New Belgium up in Ft. Collins, and it was absolutely amazing. I guess I have done Coors as well, but I was thinking specifically craft breweries. I believe Wynkoop might do brewery tours. Even if they don't you should spend an afternoon hopping from Wynkoop to Denver Beer Co and maybe a couple others like Great Divide/Crooked Stave/Epic

To add to the list in Denver; My Brother's Bar is the oldest bar in Denver and makes a pretty mean burger. Cool patio out back. Right next to REI. Ale House is also right in that area and a cool joint to grab some drinks and food.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 23, 2016 -> 11:10 AM)
My only rule is when I go to disneyland / world it can't be super hot and I can't go in peak season. As long as I don't have just absurd lines, I think it is a fantastic and fun place to go. It is absolutely a lot of work with the kids but seeing them run around and smile, etc, makes it all worth it. Plus, you get to be a kid again too and there is something nostalgic about the place (maybe partly because I grew up near Disneyland so lots of locals had season passes...before disneyland prices went absurd, so had plenty of fun adventures there with friends and kind of relieve that whenever I do go back). I actually think our first real plane trip will be to Disneyworld and I should have a conference there in the winter (I think February so when most schools are back) which might actually be a perfect time. The only hard part would be the leg of the flight my wife would have to do on her own with the little ones.

Both years we went in early September, when park levels were, at most, 4-5 out of 10. The weather was warm, but not unbearable. it was also during the Food and Wine festival at Epcot, which is a blast. I'm in agreement with you - i'd never go during peak season. I've already told my wife if we go again with our 2nd son we're just taking the 1st out of school.

• 4 weeks later...

So the wife and kid and I flew into Chicago last Wednesday and after making a few quick stops, drove up to Stanwood, MI to meet my wife's best friend and husband. From there, we headed up to Charlevoix, MI where we stayed in a cabin about a mile from Lake Michigan with several of our best friends and their spouses from our childhood. Spent 3 great nights there with incredible views from the deck and plenty of good food and booze.

Drove back to Chicago on Sunday and stayed with my brother and his family Sunday night. My son got to play with his cousins for the first time and had a blast. Yesterday, I took her on a tour of my childhood, showing her the 3 houses I lived in through high school as well as some of my schools, etc. Had lunch in Hinsdale, where I lived between the ages of 12-18. Was blown away by what the town has become.

Headed back to New Lenox to have pizza and watch the Bears with my best friend and his parents, to meet my son's namesakes (he is named after my best friend and his dad).

Overall, had a great week. Flying back to Vegas today, which I'm not looking forward to. But it was great for my wife and kid to spend some time with the folks I grew up with and to see all the places I spent the first half of my life in.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 08:46 AM)
So the wife and kid and I flew into Chicago last Wednesday and after making a few quick stops, drove up to Stanwood, MI to meet my wife's best friend and husband. From there, we headed up to Charlevoix, MI where we stayed in a cabin about a mile from Lake Michigan with several of our best friends and their spouses from our childhood. Spent 3 great nights there with incredible views from the deck and plenty of good food and booze.

Drove back to Chicago on Sunday and stayed with my brother and his family Sunday night. My son got to play with his cousins for the first time and had a blast. Yesterday, I took her on a tour of my childhood, showing her the 3 houses I lived in through high school as well as some of my schools, etc. Had lunch in Hinsdale, where I lived between the ages of 12-18. Was blown away by what the town has become.

Headed back to New Lenox to have pizza and watch the Bears with my best friend and his parents, to meet my son's namesakes (he is named after my best friend and his dad).

Overall, had a great week. Flying back to Vegas today, which I'm not looking forward to. But it was great for my wife and kid to spend some time with the folks I grew up with and to see all the places I spent the first half of my life in.

Did you go to the New Lenox Beggars?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 20, 2016 -> 10:01 AM)
You from New Lenox? Our new place borders right on the edge of Homer and New Lenox and I think we're actually closer to Rt. 30 than we are to the "main" areas of Homer.

I grew up in Cherry Hill, which is right down Route 30 from New Lenox. I went to grade school at St Jude's in New Lenox, so most of my childhood friends lived there. My best friend's parents live off of Route 30 and Nelson Rd...I spent a lot of time there as a kid.

Spent labor day weekend in Breckenridge for a wedding. I had been there before in the winter for a day, but this was my first time being in Colorado in the summer. We got in a few hikes including one up to Mohawk Lakes just south of town. Gorgeous views.

atphoto_gallery_map_1403_541_14729231791

The wedding was at the top of Vail, and that may be one of the most spectacular views I've ever seen. Can't find a picture that does it justice.

• 2 months later...
QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Nov 21, 2016 -> 01:02 PM)
My fiancée and I are looking for a place to go to for a 4 night-3 day trip after we get married (probably May 11th-15th) that isn't going to be super expensive. We want to go to a beach city that has plenty to do (attractions, shopping, restaurants, nice beach), any suggestions?

Chicago?