Danks DFA'd

justBLAZE

It's sad in the sense that he was well liked in the locker room. But -- so was LaRoche. The team will move on fine.

Between Johnson, Turner, Gonzalez, and Fulmer we should have some arms that are okay and ready to pitch in relief and put up a 4.50era.

Just don't go and trade big prospects for a pitcher this year. Don't want it. We all know playoffs only need 1-2-3. So let's get a serviceable arm if those fail that can get us to the dance. But let's not spend the farm.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This needed to happen but I am surprised we did this so soon. Was expecting the Sox to wait a couple more weeks but I am happy the front office is coming to their senses

This move only happens because the Sox are 10 games over. If they are below .500 like they were expected to be, Danks would still be here.

By all accounts a pretty good dude and he did plenty of good things for the Sox over a very long period of time. He goes out like a lot of others, seeing the toll on his body costing him his effectiveness. I don't think the Sox have any reason to feel like they didn't give him every chance to prove himself, we treated him right and gave him a very long look but it just wasn't going to work. I doubt he's got much production in him, but I'll wish him well if he can find it.

I'm shocked that they didn't put him on the 15-day DL and then move him to long relief. I'd rather have Danks available for mop-up duty than both Avi and Sands on the 25-man roster. That doesn't make sense to me.

The Sox really need to acquire another starter right now. Latos is already coming back down to Earth.

QUOTE (Jake @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
It would have been a real disservice to someone in the bullpen to have their spot taken by John Danks. Only worth consideration if we had somebody hurt.

Do we have anybody in the 'pen who can throw five or six innings? If not, Danks would be the best guy to fit the mop-up role.

Plus, the Sox wouldn't have to send a bullpen arm down to make roster space if they carried four outfielders instead of five. There's no reason for Avi and Sands to both be on the 25-man.

Edited by Black_Jack29

I fell out of my chair when I read the news. Then I stood up and gave the Sox a standing ovation. I personally hope EJ steps up but if not I would be all for signing Lincecum and giving his a shot.

Edited by Condor13

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ May 3, 2016 -> 04:12 PM)
Bruce Levine

‏@MLBBruceLevine

White Sox continue to pursue a Left handed hitter as well as a starting pitcher. They have been very active

Rick Someone making moves

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ May 3, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
I think Danks would look good in Miami, San Diego, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Pittsburgh.

I could see maybe Miami or one of the more cavernous West Coast parks, but his control has also deserted him this season, and without that, he's totally broken.

QUOTE (harkness @ May 3, 2016 -> 04:32 PM)
Is Buerhle realistically an option? I have mixed emotions about that.

I really don't think so. He hasn't thrown the ball all winter/spring. His velocity's probably around Jered Weaver level right now. Even if he wanted to come back, I'd say June might be the earliest.