5/30 - Sox at Mets

Quin

I'd like to think either KW or Hahn would be the one to do it in person. Possibly JR back in Chicago...

Probably Hahn, though, because he's closest to Robin and has seemingly been the most sympathetic towards his plight (one which Hahn is largely responsible for creating, btw.)

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, lets be real. There is a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% chance Robin is fired. there is also a 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% chance he receives a ridiculously insane extension at the end of the season.

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 30, 2016 -> 03:30 PM)
I mean, lets be real. There is a 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% chance Robin is fired. there is also a 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999% chance he receives a ridiculously insane extension at the end of the season.

Agree on the first, disagree on the latter.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 30, 2016 -> 01:34 PM)
Agreed. Short of making the playoffs, he's done after this season.

Pretty sure everyone said the same thing after last season. I guess we'll be right eventually?

QUOTE (TitoMB @ May 30, 2016 -> 03:35 PM)
Pretty sure everyone said the same thing after last season. I guess we'll be right eventually?

The difference is his contract is up. Reinsdorf generally doesn't pay for two managers at a time.

Nothing will change until there are some changes at the top... we continue to get new players and its the same mentally weak team year after year.

They need to start with Ventura... but that's probably not enough.

But hey it's worth a try.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 30, 2016 -> 03:26 PM)
Seven losses in a row. Please don't think this is hyperbole. I think before all is said and done we might vie for a top three draft pick this year. Clearly we are one of the worst hitting teams in Sox history. Bad hitting teams with lousy bullpens tend to drop a lot of games. And we have 4 months of baseball to go! Think about it. We're not going to win many blowouts and with no bullpen we are going to drop a TON of the close games we are in.

I think we lose well over 90 games. Anybody on board with this thinking?

Greg, they were up 7-1, 5-1, and 4-2 in the Royals series. The bullpen holds and it's a sweep. It's absolutely hyperbole. Have you seen the NL?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 30, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)
Greg, they were up 7-1, 5-1, and 4-2 in the Royals series. The bullpen holds and it's a sweep. It's absolutely hyperbole. Have you seen the NL?

Agreed. We are just not that bad.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 30, 2016 -> 05:42 PM)

Why are you wasting your time with him? He's an internet character looking for attention.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 30, 2016 -> 02:11 PM)
I agree but nor right away. I was not a fan of the Robin hiring but firing him would not solve the problem. I think the roster is a .500 team. But first step I think Robin should go quickly so they can give Renteria a chance to show what he can do over the rest of the season. Second step w Renteria's input is to clean out some dead wood like the group you mention. That way he gets some input on his roster. Third step is to add a LH bat and a SP but again w some input from Renteria.

Everyone is blaming Robin and he gets some blame. But Hahn does as well since the bench is awful and there are still holes in the everyday lineup and bullpen.

There is certainly a lot of truth in what you say but there still appears to be questions in the minds of a lot of Sox fans how much real power Hahn has. He takes his orders too remember.

I'd be more willing to put more "blame" on Rick if Kenny and his ego weren't around. Since they still are I simply don't know if it is totally fair to put a lot of blame on him yet.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 30, 2016 -> 06:06 PM)
There is certainly a lot of truth in what you say but there still appears to be questions in the minds of a lot of Sox fans how much real power Hahn has. He takes his orders too remember.

I'd be more willing to put more "blame" on Rick if Kenny and his ego weren't around. Since they still are I simply don't know if it is totally fair to put a lot of blame on him yet.

Mark

That's why they almost have to fire Kenny, too so there is no doubt who is responsible for the player personnel.

Back in the day...

Newspapers had cartoonists on staff and they weren't just for political commentary, often they did sports too.

I was thinking this afternoon while working outside about the old Chicago American and its "Horsehide Theater" where every few days sometimes every day they'd have a cartoon talking about something going on with the Sox or Cubs.

If they still had this today I thought of the perfect cartoon to describe the Sox situation.

It's JR fiddling in a Roman toga while behind him U.S. Cellular Field burns to the ground.

The caption would read, "This Century's Nero..."

Much like Nero did nothing while Rome burned to the ground so JR is doing nothing while his franchise every day becomes a bigger laughing stock and more meaningless and irrelevant in their own home market.

Really a shame.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ May 30, 2016 -> 07:06 PM)

Mark

Mark: I agree. I say Hahn because he should be making the roster decisions. But if that is not the case, then Kenny should go rather than Hahn. Posters complain about Robin but he can only play the 25 on the roster. The overall roster looks like a .500 team

QUOTE (SCCWS @ May 30, 2016 -> 07:30 PM)
Mark: I agree. I say Hahn because he should be making the roster decisions. But if that is not the case, then Kenny should go rather than Hahn. Posters complain about Robin but he can only play the 25 on the roster. The overall roster looks like a .500 team

With that logic, Hahn/KW are only allowed to spend so much, what other moves for the same money would have the Sox in 1st place right now?

QUOTE (Knuckles @ May 30, 2016 -> 07:04 PM)
With that logic, Hahn/KW are only allowed to spend so much, what other moves for the same money would have the Sox in 1st place right now?

Desmond and Fowler would be one (keeping in mind the net cost for Desmond would actually be $6 million subtracting money they'd no longer be spending in the June draft).

Desmond OR Fowler and Ryan Madson.

Pearce, Fowler and Maeda (maybe too pricey). So I'll just leave it at Pearce and Fowler.

Trumbo added via trade for DH along with Desmond.

The Korean DH the Twins signed.

There are lots of possible combinations. I'd have to go through all the relievers again that were available. We needed one more RH, as it turned out.

For example, some combination of Uribe, Marlon Byrd and Napoli along with Thompson still playing CF and Montas coming up to help the bullpen.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 30, 2016 -> 11:42 PM)

Reason we will end up getting a top three pick.

1.) No bats. We've played enough games. It's a pathetic hitting team. Pathetic. Nothing can change that. We can't hit home runs (cept for Frazier (Abreu has 3 in his last 30 games; six all year) which is horrible since we play in the Cell.

2.) No 4 and 5 starters. Taxes the bullpen which blows anyway.

3.) No bullpen.

4.) Defense reverting to crap.

Fitting Abreu wiffed for final out. Our doughy slugger who plays poor D, doesn't walk, can't run. He has to hit. In his last 10 games of his so called breakibg out of slump, he has 1 walk, and 10 k's. .248 with 6 hrs on the season. The SEASON! no big hits.

and for all the frazier love, no free passes here. .220? homers are great but .220 is a career low folks..

team not worth watching right now.

QUOTE (ronkark @ May 30, 2016 -> 10:44 PM)
Fitting Abreu wiffed for final out. Our doughy slugger who plays poor D, doesn't walk, can't run. He has to hit. In his last 10 games of his so called breakibg out of slump, he has 1 walk, and 10 k's. .248 with 6 hrs on the season. The SEASON! no big hits.

and for all the frazier love, no free passes here. .220? homers are great but .220 is a career low folks..

team not worth watching right now.

Frazier is just a very streaky hitter. He was hitting around .300 at the all-star break last year and finished the season hitting .255