Robin Ventura sacrifice bunted with the 3 hitter in the 7th inning

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2016 -> 03:05 PM)
Most of these moves of late were second guessed before (bunt, pitching to Hosmer). With that said, even the moves that make sense have back-fired. Team is just mentally weak. Once something bad happens in a game, they fold.

That's the scouting for you.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 30, 2016 -> 08:17 PM)
Thing is do we really think this team will do any better with someone else? I dont think so. I agree the team is weak mentally.I think its an organization thing. Proof is against the royals. The royals are the new twins. And BTW ozzie managed those teams

It's a good question, but can it hurt? Robin has done nothing in his tenure to deserve benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 30, 2016 -> 03:20 PM)
It's a good question, but can it hurt? Robin has done nothing in his tenure to deserve benefit of the doubt.

Exactly. You have Renteria available to take over. A guy who a respected GM like Theo Epstein hired, and would be managing this Cubs juggernaught if Andrew Freidman was still in Tampa.

Well, we're currently 1 1/2 games out of first place and 1 1/2 games out of 4th. (Tigers will have something to say soon about that 4th place position, as will Matz and deGrom against our 4/5 starters).

Talk about a bunched up division. But how we got there, nobody would have believed in a million years before this year started that we'd be almost 24-10 and then go 4-15 to follow.

2 games over .500, probably exactly where 80% of the board had the Sox barring major additions.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 30, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
Thats a fair point

It's very possible this team might just suck and Robin was a magician in April. Not a lot of teams will contend if their offensive anchor (Abreu) forgets he's supposed to be a run producer. No RBI in 11 games for him.

QUOTE (JoshPR @ May 30, 2016 -> 03:17 PM)
Thing is do we really think this team will do any better with someone else? I dont think so. I agree the team is weak mentally.I think its an organization thing. Proof is against the royals. The royals are the new twins. And BTW ozzie managed those teams

There's only one way to find out.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 30, 2016 -> 04:23 PM)
Exactly. You have Renteria available to take over. A guy who a respected GM like Theo Epstein hired, and would be managing this Cubs juggernaught if Andrew Freidman was still in Tampa.

Sorry man I can respect Theo. But i get your point

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 30, 2016 -> 09:27 PM)
You also have to consider that Robin was basically playing for 1 run in that situation. With the bullpen the way it's been, why the hell would you do that?

Last few weeks reminds me of end of 2012. Bad hitting with RISP, strange bunting decisions and poor performances from the pen.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ May 30, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
The bad hitting with RISP, that should turn around. The other stuff, well...

Should it, though? We've seen said bat hitting with RISP for years.

I don't believe it will change.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 30, 2016 -> 03:42 PM)
NY writer tweeted that Ventura said he had Melky bunt with two on and no outs because they were playing for one run.

Wow, just wow. What an idiot (Robin)

The biggest shocker was he didn't look like a #3 hitter trying to bunt.

“With the way both guys were pitching, you figured one run was going to do it, so you’re trying to get him in scoring position,” Ventura said of the bunt strategy with Cabrera, who had struck out and hit a soft roller to second in his first two at-bats. “You’re able to get a guy in scoring position and … if you get two, you’re looking good.”

SMH

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ May 30, 2016 -> 04:19 PM)
“With the way both guys were pitching, you figured one run was going to do it, so you’re trying to get him in scoring position,” Ventura said of the bunt strategy with Cabrera, who had struck out and hit a soft roller to second in his first two at-bats. “You’re able to get a guy in scoring position and … if you get two, you’re looking good.”

SMH

OR, Robin, you can let your best hitter swing the bat when your next two hitters are slumping and a minor leaguer the day prior, respectively.

Edited by Jose Abreu