6/5 - White Sox @ Tigers Game Thread

Condor13

I figured I would give it a shot at starting the GameDay thread.

Q will be facing Verlander and the Sox have to win to avoid the dreaded sweep by a division foe. Spanky broke out of his slump yesterday going 3 for 4 with a single, double, and triple with 2 RBIs and 2 runs scored. Abreu is also coming around collecting his second straight game with multuple hits. The rest of the lineup however has been pretty putrid. Not sure what the lineup will look like with Jackson still injured and Coats and JB getting injured on the collision in the outfield, the Sox might have to make a move or two before the game or hope some of the injured players are healthy enough to play.

6 of Detroit's regulars are hitting over .300 vs Q, so he will have to come to the ballpark wit his A game for the Sox to stay in this one. On the flip side only 3 of our hitters have more than 5 ABs vs Verlander in the last 5 years and all 3 of them have done well. However, Verlander has been dominant in his last 5 starts with a 1.91 ERA over 37 and 2/3 innings.

If the Sox can be patient at the plate and get Verlander's pitch count up and chase him from the game then I think they can knock around Detroit's bullpen.

Prediction: 5 - 2 SOX WIN. Eaton and Frazier will have good games and I really feel either a Frazier or Abreu bomb in this one.

There is a very high chance of rain from noon to 5pm so it might be a rain out or bullpen game bc of rain delays.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/l/USMI0229:1:US

2-5 PM Eastern look like a mess...not sure if they wouldn't be better off having a couple more offdays to regroup in Chicago, but the last time they had a Thursday and Monday off consecutive (around the Yankees' series) it didn't turn out to have a beneficial effect.

Going to be interesting to see what decision they make with the pitching staff because next Tuesday's game. Gonzalez down to AAA doesn't quite seem fair (as he has options which Latos doesn't).

However, Purke or Sands to AAA with Latos becoming the long man would be my decision. Then again, the need for a long man is now further mitigated by having one of MLB's best innings eaters, leaving "insurance" for the 5th starter's spot and Rodon the main reason to carry someone who can give you 3-4 innings in relief, spot start for a DH and spare the rest of the pen from exposure.

Television stations today:

June 5, 2016

Chicago White Sox at Detroit Tigers

Stadium: Comerica Park

Announcers: Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone

Game telecast time: 12:00 Noon Central / 1:00 PM Eastern *

8 over-the-air TV stations:

Chicago WGN-TV, Channel 9 (The CW)

South Bend WMYS-LD, Channel 69 (my network TV) *

Indianapolis WISH-TV, Channel 8 (The CW) *

Marion, IN WNDY-TV, Channel 23-3 (The CW) (WISH-TV simulcast) *

Rockford WIFR Freeport, Channel 23-3 (Justice Network)

Peoria / Bloomington, IL WAOE Peoria, Channel 59 (my network TV)

Quad Cities WQAD-TV Moline, Channel 8-3 (my network TV)

Cedar Rapids / Waterloo / Iowa City KCRG-TV Cedar Rapids, Channel 9-2 (my network TV)

Eaton CF Coats LF Abreu 1B Frazier 3B Lawrie 2B Garcia RF Rollins DH Avila C Saladino SS

Kinsler 2B Maybin CF Cabrera 1B V. Mart DH J. Mart RF Castellanos 3B Upton LF McCann C Iglesias SS

Edited by flavum

Rollins and his .487 OPS against RHP gets another start at DH. Why is Jerry Sands on this roster again? As bad as he is against RHP, he's at least young (in theory there's upside) and his OPS is 100 points higher than Rollins'. Right now, Sands is our third string weak-side DH platoon guy. Glad that's deemed more important than a guy who hits left-handed, has speed, and/or has defensive versatility.

At least Coats is ok and we don't have to see Shuck batting 5th again. One battle won!

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 07:59 AM)
Win or fire Robin!

I'll take a win today, a 6-3 homestand, and a 4-3 road trip to Cleveland and Boston. 11-6 the next 17.

3-7 the next 10? Absolutely, fire him...and he can take a few guys with him too.

As the Sox get ready to play another game against a divisional opponent thought you'd like to know one of their biggest issues:

Record vs. Divisional Opponents:

2015; 32-44

2014; 33-43

2013; 26-50

2012; 37-35

2011; 32-40

2010; 32-40

2009; 34-38

2008; 44-29

Can't beat teams in your division? You're not going anyplace but home after the regular season.

The 'big money', 'big market' White Sox can't beat the Kansas City and Cleveland's of the world.

Two winning records vs. division in the last eight years.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 12:21 PM)
As the Sox get ready to play another game against a divisional opponent thought you'd like to know one of their biggest issues:

2015; 32-44

2014; 33-43

2013; 26-50

2012; 37-35

2011; 32-40

2010; 32-40

2009; 34-38

2008; 44-29

Can't beat teams in your division? You're not going anyplace but home after the regular season.

The 'big money', 'big market' White Sox can't beat the Kansas City and Cleveland's of the world.

Mark

I wouldnt say big money. JR was so cheap in the offseason it might have cost us a chance at the playoffs.

Alright, enough negativity for one day, time for some optimism.

Jose Quintana is on the mound and leads the AL in ERA. With Sale's recent struggles against AL Central opponents, Q is our stopper and today he will do just that. I'm thinking he goes 7 innings, giving up just one run and retaining his ERA title.

Jason Coats is healthy and batting second eager to f*** some Tigers up. I predict he comes a HR shy of the cycle today.

Jose Abreu has had back-to-back games with multiple hits. He'll make it a streak today by getting two more hits today.

And finally for a reach prediction, but I'm going to say Rollins reaches base twice today just prove us haters wrong.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 11:21 AM)

2015; 32-44

2014; 33-43

2013; 26-50

2012; 37-35

2011; 32-40

2010; 32-40

2009; 34-38

2008; 44-29

Mark

Psst.... the Royals have a higher payroll than the White Sox by around 30 million and the Indians payroll is only 4 million less than the White Sox.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 5, 2016 -> 11:58 AM)
Psst.... the Royals have a higher payroll than the White Sox by around 30 million and the Indians payroll is only 4 million less than the White Sox.

The White Sox are in excellent financial shape right now and that's even after the Shields addition. I can see them make a strong push for Carlos Gonzalez now.. He fits right into their 'three year' plan that came about last year.