Nationals (Scherzer) @ Sox (Shields)

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
The owner wont though.

Honestly I hate tanking in any sport. I think there should be punishments/countermeasures for what some of these teams try to do.

The lottery system for picks is somewhat a decent way to do it.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:18 PM)
The owner wont though.

Honestly I hate tanking in any sport. I think there should be punishments/countermeasures for what some of these teams try to do.

It's not like players on teams in those situations are intentionally throwing games. They are playing for their career.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:19 PM)
The lottery system for picks is somewhat a decent way to do it.

It's a good start. Really there should be a window of time set up league wide or something to that effect. You have "X" amount of time to get your team together.

QUOTE (AmericanLeagueFan @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 08:07 PM)
Ufff... if you want someone to lay some blame on, lets not leave out this Nick Hostetler. If i were chief architect of one the worst talent scouting organizations in all of sports---i wouldnt be out in public. I mean sure, fire Robin....But why is this guy employed anywhere in baseball?!

He's only had the gig for a year or so.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:21 PM)
You don't give away a pitcher of Sale's caliber for a bunch of maybes.

I know that but I'm just saying I doubt the Red Sox would do it because as you said "stud for 15 years."

Plus, Price aside, they don't really do longterm deals to pitchers. They'd be more likely to extend Bogaerts to a long term deal than Sale after his contract is up.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:15 PM)
The Sox haven't developed a quality major league hitter since Magglio. Why do you think the Sox would be able to pull off a rebuild?

That's true, but I really don't care at this point. I'm tired of the "rebuild while competing" BS. Either go all in and deal Anderson/Fulmer/Adams for legit MLB talent or do the opposite and trade everyone with value away.

Obviously, rebuilding is a risk (especially considering how the Sox scout talent), but I'd much rather watch a young team with potential than this garbage they have now year after year. I'm sick of it. If they go all in, fine. I just don't want them to stand pat with a 75 win team like they have in past years. It isn't fair to the fans.

Tanking is the wrong word. In baseball, a team is stupid if they don't assess where they are in a path to sustained success.

If you're hoping for career years from your players and other teams to have injuries, you're going to be disappointed most years, like the White Sox.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:20 PM)
It's not like players on teams in those situations are intentionally throwing games. They are playing for their career.

Who cares? The Front Office's are throwing the games and it makes the league(whichever one) look like a joke.

When you can start writing off teams in the offseason and who obviously have zero desire to win there's a problem.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 08:21 PM)
I know that but I'm just saying I doubt the Red Sox would do it because as you said "stud for 15 years."

Plus, Price aside, they don't really do longterm deals to pitchers. They'd be more likely to extend Bogaerts to a long term deal than Sale after his contract is up.

From playing and watching the game for a long time that's just my opinion on him. Do the Red Sox think he's untouchable? Who knows

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (Baron @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:22 PM)
Who cares? The Front Office's are throwing the games and it makes the league(whichever one) look like a joke.

When you can start writing off teams in the offseason and who obviously have zero desire to win there's a problem.

How do you punish a team? Are they supposed to spend a certain amount of money? What if a team has a strategy of trying to play their own young home grown talent thinning they can win with it? If the owner feels they can win with young players, I don't think they go in with the mindset of trying to lose in this scenario, yet they should be punished?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 09:25 PM)
How do you punish a team? Are they supposed to spend a certain amount of money? What if a team has a strategy of trying to play their own young home grown talent thinning they can win with it?

You give them a window of a few years like I mentioned above. Then you start fining and moving them out of their presumed top draft position. That's really the problem with the lottery. The 76ers still are able to get good picks.

Let's not act like these teams plans are secretive either. GMs have been very open about these type of strategies because they want to prepare everyone else for the long term sucking.

Edited by Baron

Just as some hypothetical examples:

The Sox trade Sale to Boston for Benintendi, Moncada, Devers, Rodriguez, Bradley, and Swihart.

The Sox trade Quintana to the Cubs for Almora, Contreras, Baez, Edwards, Covey, and Russell.

Just by trading 2 of their main assets, the Sox would add so much young talent to the minor leagues that could have sustainable success in the future. Obviously these trades wouldn't be exactly how I listed, but you guys get where I'm going.

Accumulating young talent is the key to success in baseball these days. Not the crap that the Sox do year after year.

I just tuned in. Gonna read thru the thread to see if Shields got roasted here as badly as he did on the mound. You gotta be bleepin me? Lasted two innings? All our scouts need to be fired. It's pretty apparent Shields has little left in his tank. What'd we throw away? 10 mill?

Let's go a hybrid route. Go all in trading prospects, signing a free agent or two in the off season. Make a real final run. If it still looks bleak a year from now, start trading Sale, Quintana, Eaton, hopefully a better Abreu, Frazier, Lawrie, Robertson, Melky, and other potential pieces brought in during the span and get a bunch of young talent back mid 17 through the off-season.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jun 8, 2016 -> 07:29 PM)
I've never left a baseball game before the 4th inning. Today I did. That stadium was a disaster. Concession stands closed, no energy from the fans, Nationals almost had as many fans as the Sox did, etc. Despicable.

And what exactly is there for the fans to be energized about?