2016-17 NHL Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:23 AM)
Seabrook might be the signing that breaks it, but I honestly feel like the Saad trade was bad news. The Blackhawks gained a second line center that offseason but Toews hasn't really ever been the same.

They got a second line center and a player better than Saad.

They do need to unload Seabs though...

We need D men bad

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:27 AM)
When Marcus Kruger is one of your best players this series, you deserve to be down 0-3.

Exactly. I'll give Schmaltz a ton of credit for playing his butt off, too, but the guys who aren't on an entry level contract are by and large not earning their keep.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:29 AM)
To what? The point that Kane's contract is a bad one for the Blackhawks? That's your point, correct?

$10.5 million per year should probably be a bit better in the playoffs this season. He's at the peak of his powers. I'm sure it's a combination of things, but this team looks like bad money.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:28 AM)
They got a second line center and a player better than Saad.

They do need to unload Seabs though...

We need D men bad

Yes, but Toews has been so much worse. You can make every argument you want for Kane being worth 10.5 per (and he probably is) but Toews is not the player the Hawks paid since the Saad move.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:30 AM)
$10.5 million per year should probably be a bit better in the playoffs this season. He's at the peak of his powers. I'm sure it's a combination of things, but this team looks like bad money.

Say what you will about Toews, but Kane has been fine. He was one of our better forwards in game 1 and this game. 9 SOG, had the goal that should of been the game winner if that goalie interference call was made. Add in the Hart, Art Ross, Lindsay, 3 cups, Smythe etc. and he's well worth his contract.

Q is over thinking his hand here. Oduya has been a joke this series, you are dressing scrubs like Tootoo in.. can't keep being stubborn.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:33 AM)
Say what you will about Toews, but Kane has been fine. He was one of our better forwards in game 1 and this game. 9 SOG, had the goal that should of been the game winner if that goalie interference call was made. Add in the Hart, Art Ross, Lindsay, 3 cups, Smythe etc. and he's well worth his contract.

I'll give you that. My frustration comes from the fact that the big money guys haven't performed all at once. Tony shares my frustration and he's clearly very tired.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:30 AM)

As much as I've seen you talk modern statistics, I'm surprised to see you freak out over a 3 game sample size.

Kane won the MVP last year and was 2nd in scoring this year. .

Toews has been a little disappointing but can't worry too much yet.

Keith is still underpaid if you look at his contract.

Hossa has a long contract but 3 Cups later and because the NHL wouldn't grandfather it in, its a necessary hurdle.

The Seabrook contract sucks and I said that the day it was announced. But can't win then all.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:40 AM)
As much as I've seen you talk modern statistics, I'm surprised to see you freak out over a 3 game sample size.

Kane won the MVP last year and was 2nd in scoring this year. .

Toews has been a little disappointing but can't worry too much yet.

Keith is still underpaid if you look at his contract.

Hossa has a long contract but 3 Cups later and because the NHL wouldn't grandfather it in, its a necessary hurdle.

The Seabrook contract sucks and I said that the day it was announced. But can't win then all.

And Keith has been one of the worst on the ice this series form the leader group. Him and Hammer have sucked

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:46 AM)
Which no one could have seen coming, unfortunately.

It's just crazy disappointing. When they went on that 2nd half run, I really bought into this team, didn't see much weakness. Fools gold.

Well, and like last year you could kind of see the reality. They were a good not great team with a 12 game win streak midseason. This second half completely fooled me.

QUOTE (Tony @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 12:50 AM)
There have been multiple years in the run when you knew it was a sort of rebuilding year on the fly, they just weren't the same Cup team and needed a new wave.

I didn't think that was the case with this team in February. They were rolling 4 nice lines, defense was 5 deep, Crawford was playing great.

Then the playoffs came.

this team is way better and deeper than last years. They just suck right now.

I can't believe how bad they look with the puck. I can't tell if Nashville is just playing great defense, or if the Hawks are just this sloppy/slow/weak, but I can't recall seeing a great offensive chance via nice cycling and passing. It seems everything is off target or gets disrupted. They don't look comfortable with the puck.

Also, that non-GI call was brutal. As they discussed before OT, Aardvark was not pushed it to Crawford, he was not pinched in to him, he did a drive by, went for his head, and tried to spin him. It was absolutely intentional.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 01:00 AM)
I can't believe how bad they look with the puck. I can't tell if Nashville is just playing great defense, or if the Hawks are just this sloppy/slow/weak, but I can't recall seeing a great offensive chance via nice cycling and passing. It seems everything is off target or gets disrupted. They don't look comfortable with the puck.

Also, that non-GI call was brutal. As they discussed before OT, Aardvark was not pushed it to Crawford, he was not pinched in to him, he did a drive by, went for his head, and tried to spin him. It was absolutely intentional.

Sure, but they needed to win one at home and not let the BS goals tonight. NHLplayoffs

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Apr 18, 2017 -> 07:00 AM)
He did a drive by, went for his head, and tried to spin him. It was absolutely intentional.

Surprising the refs after looking at it ruled no interference. They had to know that was the series right there. Why does the NHL want Chicago out of the playoffs so early? Is it better for business if new teams win it all?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 17, 2017 -> 09:40 PM)
Wanna know how you win playoff series? You have miracle saves, Fluke goals and get to check the goalie and score. Jesus. This isnt our year.

They played terrible. Toews was non-existent this whole series (in fact, he looked like one of the worse players on the ice). Definitely a flukey bounce and a debatable interferene that drove two goals, but they were the aggressor and have totally outplayed the Hawks. Hawks could have won Game 3, but when you get dominanted the first two games and have a relatively even game 3, you are asking to be in trouble.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 08:54 AM)
Nashville had 12 overtime/shootout losses on the season. If they just win one of those coin flips, the Hawks would have faced Calgary. Sigh.

With the way the Hawks have played, I am not sure that it would have mattered.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 09:41 AM)
With the way the Hawks have played, I am not sure that it would have mattered.

Maybe not, and no real excuses when you are the #1 seed, but Nashville seems like a good team that was a popular preseason pick and might be finally putting together. No chance the Ducks sweep them the way they did with Calgary.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:06 PM)
Maybe not, and no real excuses when you are the #1 seed, but Nashville seems like a good team that was a popular preseason pick and might be finally putting together. No chance the Ducks sweep them the way they did with Calgary.

We beat them 4 out of 5 during the regular season. They sure didn't give us much problem then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
We beat them 4 out of 5 during the regular season. They sure didn't give us much problem then.

4 of which were played over 3 months ago, but yeah, it's still not Washington or Anaheim. Either way, if they win tonight, their game 5 & 6 playoff record under coach Q is like 245-1 (est.) , so it's not over.