2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
They have not decided whether to rebuild or compete. They made the trade to get some value out of Taj's expiring contract, since he won't be resigned in the off season, and also to cut the losses on McDermott. I suspect that they will wait till the off season to pick a direction.

So, hurt your chances this year, then decide? If they were going to wait until the offseason to decide, they may as well have tried to win some games the next couple of months.

Maybe I am way off, but I don't think Payne is a game changer. He isn't a good shooter, he isn't really a good passer. He does play decent defense, but if you are a point guard who can't shoot or pass, and rely on defense to stay in the league, you are a 10-15 minute a night guy at best, and will probably go 2 week stretches of not playing at all under Hoiberg.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 01:28 PM)
oh my god. kaplan just asked forman about his vision for "what kind of team are you going forward?"

Forman mentioned how they want guys who are going to work hard and specifically mentioned Felicio, Portis, Zipser and Payne

!

I think Forman is just trying to build up the Windy City Bulls.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
So, hurt your chances this year, then decide? If they were going to wait until the offseason to decide, they may as well have tried to win some games the next couple of months.

Maybe I am way off, but I don't think Payne is a game changer. He isn't a good shooter, he isn't really a good passer. He does play decent defense, but if you are a point guard who can't shoot or pass, and rely on defense to stay in the league, you are a 10-15 minute a night guy at best, and will probably go 2 week stretches of not playing at all under Hoiberg.

Payne has played so little that it is hard to say and statistically, most young point guards tend to take a bit of time before they start to emerge. Payne might suck, but he could be good. In terms of his shot, based upon the college stuff I saw from him, it looked like he had some potential to shoot, and his 3 point percentage this year isn't bad. The big thing with him is he's pretty small (needs to add muscle) and he has had major durability issues (if you can't get on the court, you certainly can't develop).

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 11:28 AM)
oh my god. kaplan just asked forman about his vision for "what kind of team are you going forward?"

Forman mentioned how they want guys who are going to work hard and specifically mentioned Felicio, Portis, Zipser and Payne

!

Pretty damning indictment on Denzel if he didn't mention him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)

I personally hate the trade, they overpaid for Payne, even if he might have some potential. But don't take this trade as an indicator of the direction we're heading toward, as clearly the decision have not been made yet.

They could be just buying time here. If Payne, Niko/Portis turn out to be capable starters, they might make a couple of moves in the offseason to retool. If they flopped (which I think they will), they might finally tear it all down then.

Ugly start, strong finish. Butler & Wade were strong at the end...Denzel does what he does when he plays...burries a s*** ton of threes. I hope he finally gets a consistent burn (and doesn't get hurt or randomly gets a bunch of DNP's). Niko played a good game too (flashed some of that good D I've been talking about). Butler is f***ing absurd in the 4th quarter of games. So many times this year where he is meh for 3 quarters only to go beast mode in the 4th.

Back to .500...which means we are due for another losing streak. Really was surprised to see MCW in the starting lineup...he went on to wet the bad with horrid shots early and often and some bad turnovers. Only played 8 minutes despite starting.

Looks like Bogut to the Cavs is official. The Cavs, despite being WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over the cap, have added Korver, Derrick Williams, Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut. Those are four quality roleplayers that address every need Cleveland had coming into the season. So all of LeBron's crying has paid off. Ball is in your court now, buddy. No excuses come June.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 26, 2017 -> 07:48 PM)
Looks like Bogut to the Cavs is official. The Cavs, despite being WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY over the cap, have added Korver, Derrick Williams, Deron Williams and Andrew Bogut. Those are four quality roleplayers that address every need Cleveland had coming into the season. So all of LeBron's crying has paid off. Ball is in your court now, buddy. No excuses come June.

They still aren't in the same league as Golden State, imo.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
They still aren't in the same league as Golden State, imo.

Not in the same league? I wouldn't go that far. But when your 3rd best player once scored 37 points in a quarter and 60 points in 29 minutes you are the heavy favorite against anybody. I'm just saying Cleveland has gotten LeBron everything and I mean EVERYTHING that he's asked for. I don't want to hear a thing about LeBron not having enough help come June.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:58 AM)
Not in the same league? I wouldn't go that far. But when your 3rd best player once scored 37 points in a quarter and 60 points in 29 minutes you are the heavy favorite against anybody. I'm just saying Cleveland has gotten LeBron everything and I mean EVERYTHING that he's asked for. I don't want to hear a thing about LeBron not having enough help come June.

lol. Yeah, because poor Golden State hasn't added anything since they lost to Cleveland.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
lol. Yeah, because poor Golden State hasn't added anything since they lost to Cleveland.

Wtf are you talking about? I said GS is the favorite. But you don't get to complain about not having enough help when you have:

PG:Irving/Willliams

SG:Smith/Korver/Shumpert

SF:LeBron/Jefferson/Williams

PF:Love/Frye

C:Thompson/Bogut

They're two deep at every position now. He cried, b****ed, moaned, disrespected Barkley, etc. His wishes have been granted. No excuses.

Edited by Jordan4life

Joakim Noah out for the year. Having knee surgery. Love Jo and hope he can get better. We can all rip on Gar / Pax, but I will at least give them credit for not tying the Bulls up to an horrible long-term deal and allowing us the opportunity to be flexible. I could have easily seen them trying to keep one of Jo / Gasol and instead they made the right move as it related to both of them.

That said, I hope somehow the surgeons work a miracle and we can watch some healthy Joakim Noah in the future.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
Joakim Noah out for the year. Having knee surgery. Love Jo and hope he can get better. We can all rip on Gar / Pax, but I will at least give them credit for not tying the Bulls up to an horrible long-term deal and allowing us the opportunity to be flexible. I could have easily seen them trying to keep one of Jo / Gasol and instead they made the right move as it related to both of them.

That said, I hope somehow the surgeons work a miracle and we can watch some healthy Joakim Noah in the future.

Bro, he's done. Been done.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
Wtf are you talking about? I said GS is the favorite. But you don't get to complain about not having enough help when you have:

PG:Irving/Willliams

SG:Smith/Korver/Shumpert

SF:LeBron/Jefferson/Williams

PF:Love/Frye

C:Thompson/Bogut

They're two deep at every position now. He cried, b****ed, moaned, disrespected Barkley, etc. His wishes have been granted. No excuses.

Sure. But they didn't add Kevin Durant.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
Sure. But they didn't add Kevin Durant.

Then he should've kept his mouth shut and recognized that there was nothing Cleveland was going to be able to do to counter that. No, he did the exact opposite. He went public over and over and disrespected a legend along the way because he wanted more help. He wanted a playmaker. He got just that. He wanted a big after Birdman went down. He got a big. He got one of the best shooters in league history for free. No excuses.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Then he should've kept his mouth shut and recognized that there was nothing Cleveland was going to be able to do to counter that. No, he did the exact opposite. He went public over and over and disrespected a legend along the way because he wanted more help. He wanted a playmaker. He got just that. He wanted a big after Birdman went down. He got a big. He got one of the best shooters in league history for free. No excuses.

They added a bunch of recycled crap. None of that adds up to Durant. The idea that it does it just silly. This is the NBA, not the NFL. You can't make up for stars with depth, that is just silly.

The only part that I can really appreciate is that LeBron is sore that someone out recruited him after being the guy who really got the idea of team superstar going in the NBA.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
They added a bunch of recycled crap. None of that adds up to Durant. The idea that it does it just silly. This is the NBA, not the NFL. You can't make up for stars with depth, that is just silly.

The only part that I can really appreciate is that LeBron is sore that someone out recruited him after being the guy who really got the idea of team superstar going in the NBA.

Obviously LeBron disagrees with you. You think he demanded more help to take down Toronto or Boston? Or are you saying he's slow (I won't use the R word) and wanted Cleveland to acquire Anthony Davis?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 12:31 PM)
J4L, regardless of what Lebron begged for/asked for/wanted, these guys are trash. You are acting like he added DWill and Bogut in their primes

I thought Richard Jefferson was trash last year and he was their starting PF the last 5 games of the finals. I can think of a lot worse as far as backups go than Williams and Bogut. They're not being asked to start.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 27, 2017 -> 10:12 AM)

Most of those players are on the absolute downside of their careers. Miami isn't just dropping Derrick Williams if they thought he was really good. Could they help in the post-season, absolutely, but the difference between a healthy Cavs team and healthy Warriors team is pretty far apart, imo.