2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
Cam Payne can't pass or shoot. Even Hubie Brown questioned his ability to be a point guard. All their point guards suck. Rondo might be the best one.

How Gar was gushing over Payne, that should be enough to tell you he isn't an NBA level talent evaluator. He probably could pick a good team at the Y.

What was the goal here? Vince Goodwill, who is about as good as it gets as a beat guy even though he is a big Pistons fans, was saying when they traded Taj, things were going to go south that he was the true leader of the team. So if their goal was to fall short and get a lottery pick, then what they did was fine. But Cam Payne sucks. He looks like an 8th grader launching up shots. If the goal was to still make the playoffs, yet more proof that everyone in the world except his bosses knows Gar has no business doing what he is doing.

The problem is they can't shoot 3's at all. That isn't going to work in today's game. Butler's heel is still bothering him, so that doesn't help. I also am sick of hearing about their offensive rebounding. Of course they lead the league or are near the top. No team misses more shots.

Yep...Payne had some horrific turnovers against Boston. Maybe he can develop / emerge, but right now, I've seen nothing (albeit in limited action) which makes me overly hopeful. That said, not many PG's burst out in the scene over history...usually it is a position that takes some time. Amazing how many good PG's were kind of crappy players their first couple years. I think I said at the deadline, I'd have been trading everyone for draft picks (except Jimmy B). I thought we should give one more year of trying to build around him (but I was open if we got the right offer). We'll see what happens to Boston...if you are a Bulls fan, you have to hope they go down early as that should put a bit more pressure on Ainge to make a move.

I agree with you that Butler is definitely playing hurt.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With, remember when we could turn any random under 6 foot PG off the street into a competent starter that they'd then spin into multimillion dollar contracts?

That was fun. not as fun as having 10 marquis teague's.

The quotes coming out of Bulls players are pretty interesting. It certainly seems that communication isn't Hoiberg's strong suit (going all the way back to the Noah "benching himself" for Niko to be the starter thing last year).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
The quotes coming out of Bulls players are pretty interesting. It certainly seems that communication isn't Hoiberg's strong suit (going all the way back to the Noah "benching himself" for Niko to be the starter thing last year).

That is what you got out of the quotes? Wade directly called out the front office and actually defended Hoiberg.

I am not a Hoiberg fan at all, but the issue seems to be with the front office right now, not Fred

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 13, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
That is what you got out of the quotes? Wade directly called out the front office and actually defended Hoiberg.

I am not a Hoiberg fan at all, but the issue seems to be with the front office right now, not Fred

Oh I'm beyond defending the front office...they are clearly inept. I agree with Wade's quotes. That said, Mirotic and others have been pretty damning of Hoiberg. Of course, a lot of that is probably what he is being forced to do by GarPax. Despite my constant Hoiberg bashing, I will be the first to admit, he got dealt a really raw deal. I don't know if there are many coaches who could succeed what the Bulls front office did. From the neutering of Thibs to giving Hoiberg a roster opposite of what his system is (this is me giving him credit for having a system).

Great read on the state of the Bulls from Ken Berger (with quite a few comments from "sources"). Not a lot that we don't know, however, the statement around the teams long-term plan (2018) was interested and really going back to the market kind of collapsing was very interesting (I hadn't heard that previously). Problem is all the dysfunction makes it so unlikely that the Bulls "capitalize" on that situation if it really happens.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2697770...r-chicago-bulls

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
When do we start the DWade memories thread?

To me it would be good riddance. He's still a decent scorer, but for a guy who doesn't give much defensive effort, he had no problem calling out others. He clearly isn't going to lead the team to a championship. The only reason IMO he would stay, and the only reason he came was the payday.

All that other stuff, please. He would have signed with the Bulls years ago.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 12:39 PM)
If Gar/Pax uses this injury as the reason the Bulls missed the playoffs, everyone should cancel their season tickets.

They will. And the fans will still pack the place. It's really two fan bases though. The people who have shown up at games since 1998 that treat each game as a separate entity, and the actual fans that call the radio and post on message boards in anger about the direction of the team. Their business model is fantastic.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 16, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
They will. And the fans will still pack the place. It's really two fan bases though. The people who have shown up at games since 1998 that treat each game as a separate entity, and the actual fans that call the radio and post on message boards in anger about the direction of the team. Their business model is fantastic.

Fans haven't been packing the place for quite some time

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 11, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
So ABC has the big GS/SA matchup tonight. Leonard is out for SA with a concussion. Besides KD being down, Kerr is resting, Curry, Thompson, Green, and Iggy.

Not exactly what ABC was hoping for.

And tonight for the ABC match up LeBron, Kyrie, and Love all rested too, Clippers win by 30

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 18, 2017 -> 10:17 PM)
And tonight for the ABC match up LeBron, Kyrie, and Love all rested too, Clippers win by 30

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that the league needs to cut 15 games from the season. The networks have a huge beef here. These contracts are drawn up so players play in the flexed games.

Either

• Cut 15 games
  • Legislate out sitting your whole team
  • Allow the networks to last minute flex games

I'm not pro-network, but sitting players for a national telecast is a complete scam.

Edited by Sox-35th

The one thing I have noticed about when teams rest a slew of star players is it hardly ever happens, if ever, for home games. Last night there was good reason for Love to be out. You could justify Irving being out, but Lebron? He was pissed he wasn't playing.

Scheduling these big nationally telecast games on a second night of a back to back for a team is on the NBA. But, if they played in Cleveland last night, Lebron would have played, so it's BS he sat. Play him 24 minutes. Many times it's his only trip to town. People pay a lot of money to see him.

It also shows just how unimportant the NBA regular season is, it is basically an 82 game money making exhibition season.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
Jerry Krause has passed away. 77 years old. Shocking.

He had been in ill health.

People can say what they will about him, and maybe a lot is legit, but 6 titles as a GM makes him a HOFer in my book. Too bad it will be too late for him to enjoy.

RIP Crumbs. The Bulls reached the highest highs and the lowest lows under his watch. A lot of controversy, a lot of pettiness it appeared, but a dynasty.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 01:39 PM)
Jerry Krause has passed away. 77 years old. Shocking.

I read this as Jerry Reinsdorf and almost s*** myself. Sad news. He had been in questionable health for a while IIRC. Amazing that he made it as long as he did. I don't think there will ever be a consensus on what kinda GM Krause was. But the Pippen/Grant additions in the summer of '87 to this day is one of the great heists in NBA history.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
I read this as Jerry Reinsdorf and almost s*** myself. Sad news. He had been in questionable health for a while IIRC. Amazing that he made it as long as he did. I don't think there will ever be a consensus on what kinda GM Krause was. But the Pippen/Grant additions in the summer of '87 to this day is one of the great heists in NBA history.

I saw him in an elevator at USCF about 2010. He was scouting for someone, I think the Mets. He was breathing like he had just climbed the John Hancock.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 21, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)

There should be consensus. He's the best GM in Chicago sports history. Can't really be debated either.