2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 10:09 PM)
The irony is how desperately any White Sox fan would have been rooting for ANY playoff appearance in the last decade.

In the NBA, quite a few are rationally rooting against the playoffs to force a change in the front office or at least strategic vision of ownership. That's what all the super teams have done to the NBA. Zero balance.

The NBA is also completely different in the number of teams that make it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
10 vs. 16 isn't THAT dramatic. But yeah, closer to the NFL.

Pretty much you have to be a .500 team to make the playoffs. Go back and count how many times the White Sox would have been in the playoffs with that standard.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)
Pretty much you have to be a .500 team to make the playoffs. Go back and count how many times the White Sox would have been in the playoffs with that standard.

Not only that, but the eventual NBA champion is almost always one of the best two or three regular season teams. Not in MLB, what the Cubs did last year was an exception, not the norm. Just making the MLB playoffs makes you a World Series contender, in the NBA the majority of playoff teams have zero chance.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 06:27 AM)
Well, they looked more motivated the last two games than I have seen them all season. Maybe they carry that into the playoffs, or maybe not since they won't be playing NJ or Orlando

Yeah but partial credit, Nets didn't start an NBA team last night.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
Yeah but partial credit, Nets didn't start an NBA team last night.

that never stopped the Bulls from losing this year lol. Philly did that a few times after Embiid went down IIRC

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 09:27 AM)
that never stopped the Bulls from losing this year lol. Philly did that a few times after Embiid went down IIRC

Ha, true, but Nets are worst team in NBA with those dudes.

Anyway, just glad that the eyes of the NBA will turn to Paul Zipser, the more coordinated and better shooting little brother to Omar Asik, who was the taller younger brother to Judge Reinhold.

The thing is, the parity of talent between the 7 East teams in the playoffs (besides Cleveland) isn't huge, if the Bulls had a better coach and made a couple of trades to solidify their bench, they could realistically get past Boston and Washington to meet Cleveland in the conference finals.

As it stands now, I think even though we have the best 1 or even 2 players in this series, we will go down 4-1 or 4-2.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
It will be interesting if playoff Wade and Rondo show up

Playoff Rondo is part of the reason why I wanted the team to make the playoffs. It could get interesting.

Probably stupid on my part but I gained respect for Hoiberg post Taj trade. He tried to make those awful point guards work, then said screw GarPax, and pushed hard on Mirotic/Rondo/Grant to pretty good results.

I think you could look at Pacers and Heat and think we should be better with Butler being best player across those teams, but our second unit is filled with garbage.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
Probably stupid on my part but I gained respect for Hoiberg post Taj trade. He tried to make those awful point guards work, then said screw GarPax, and pushed hard on Mirotic/Rondo/Grant to pretty good results.

I think you could look at Pacers and Heat and think we should be better with Butler being best player across those teams, but our second unit is filled with garbage.

No kidding. MCW, Valentine, Zipser, Payne, Canaan, Morrow all shoots under 40% and has PER under 10. I don't know if there are any teams out there who could match that.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 10:54 AM)
No kidding. MCW, Valentine, Zipser, Payne, Canaan, Morrow all shoots under 40% and has PER under 10. I don't know if there are any teams out there who could match that.

I agree with everyone but Zipser. His play got considerably better once he got playing time.

Oh and Payne can do a mean high five in the middle of a game while riding the bench

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 07:26 AM)
10 vs. 16 isn't THAT dramatic. But yeah, closer to the NFL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 07:28 AM)

Don't even pretend like there is any sort of comparison between making the playoffs in baseball and basketball. Since Reinsdorf took over the Sox they have made the playoffs 5 times ('94 would have made 6). If MLB used the NBA standard for making the playoffs the Sox would have made it 20 times (not counting '94) in that same time frame, including every year from 1990 to 2006 with the exception of 95 and 99 where they would have missed by 1 spot.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
I agree with everyone but Zipser. His play got considerably better once he got playing time.

Oh and Payne can do a mean high five in the middle of a game while riding the bench

I like the way Zipser plays, I think he could be a pretty good role player given time. But when he's your 7 or 8th man off the bench in a playoff series, it speaks volume for the terrible roster that's GarPax put together.

Bulls in 7.

There's not a team in the Eastern Conference playoffs that we match up with better. Thomas is his typical playoff self (leaving Boston struggling on offense), Wade/Butler/Rondo excel, Chicago dominates the boards, and the Bulls' role players play serviceable basketball.

For the Bulls, it's W, L, W, L, L, W, W.

Book it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 13, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
Bulls in 7.

There's not a team in the Eastern Conference playoffs that we match up with better. Thomas is his typical playoff self (leaving Boston struggling on offense), Wade/Butler/Rondo excel, Chicago dominates the boards, and the Bulls' role players play serviceable basketball.

Book it.

Sweet. How much money are you putting on it?

Bulls in 7.

Book it.

xnFmrQ8.gif

Bulls in 7.

Book it.

giphy.gif