2016-2017 NBA Thread

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sources: Derrick Rose will need season-ending surgery for torn left meniscus

New York Knicks guard Derrick Rose has suffered another season-ending knee injury.

Rose suffered a torn meniscus in his left knee and will require surgery and a six-to-eight-week recovery period, league sources told The Vertical.

Bulls have a cake schedule down the stretch and play the bottom 4 seeds in the east while Atlanta, Indiana, and Miami have much tougher opponents. I'd be shaking my head if they don't get at least a 7 seed. I want to see them play the Raptors in the first round just to see if we can get a 6-7 game series.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 07:50 PM)
Bulls have a cake schedule down the stretch and play the bottom 4 seeds in the east while Atlanta, Indiana, and Miami have much tougher opponents. I'd be shaking my head if they don't get at least a 7 seed. I want to see them play the Raptors in the first round just to see if we can get a 6-7 game series.

This is honestly the worst of all possible scenarios. This bad team is saving management right now.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 07:54 PM)
This is honestly the worst of all possible scenarios. This bad team is saving management right now.

I agree, I just don't think JR has the balls to fire GarPax, playoffs or no playoffs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 05:17 PM)
I hope chisoxfn saw that ridiculous Zipser block just now. Was awesome.

Yeah, that was awesome. I'm trying to stay quiet about the Bulls...don't want to jinx what they have got going on right now. Even without great shooters, it gives you a glimpse at what Jimmy can be (and what the Bulls can be) when you actually surround Buckets with some shooters. Rondo has been fantastic.

I hope they keep this up...cause I want to see playoff basketball.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Apr 2, 2017 -> 05:50 PM)

Then you don't know the Bulls. They play terrible against sub .500 teams. I'd have more faith in them making the playoffs if you told me we played Golden State, San Antonio, Cleveland, Toronto and the Celtics for the remainder of the year, haha. Seriously though..I really would. It's been a couple years since a Bulls team conistently took care of business against sub .500 teams.

Some stats on Buckets (that I read elsewhere):

Players in the NBA that score more and more efficiently than Jimmy: 8

Players in the NBA that score more than Jimmy and also average more Assists: 7

Players in the NBA with higher Offensive RPM than Jimmy: 7

Players in the NBA with more Offensive Win Shares than Jimmy: 2

Players in the NBA with higher clutch minute impact rating: 1

Usage is at 26% this year (which actually for a star player, is not that high (and goes against the "iso/ballhog" theory).

Contract: Bargain

Also...from Cowley (over the weekend) on Gar & Fred:

So how are the Bulls still afloat at the point guard position? Because the same Rajon Rondo that the front office killed the value of and then couldn’t trade, has proven the obvious by outplaying the three players Gar/Pax wanted to anoint “the point guard of the future.’’ To Hoiberg’s credit, he has played a factor in defying the focus of the youth movement, leaning back on Rondo.

A source indicated that it has put a strain on the relationship with Forman, but has helped the second-year coach at least win the locker room.

Rondo’s not the only player Gar/Pax wanted out of the rotation and then moved to a different franchise, either. Nikola Mirotic was in the same boat, and like Rondo, has endured the ever-changing front office plan, only to ride in on a white horse the last nine games and give the Bulls a legitimate outside scoring threat.

Again, credit Hoiberg for understanding the importance of winning games over winning the PR of a trade.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 5, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)
Chisoxfn called last night.

I wasn't at all surprised when I turned the game on in the 3rd quarter last night. Knicks go 3-1 against the Bulls. No intensity in that first half by the Bulls. I don't get it...if you can't get up at this point of the season against all teams...when will you. And they still have games against Philly and the Nets to lose.

Ok guys, last night of regular season. I am conflicted on if I am rooting for the Bulls to make the playoffs (though they have no reason not to at home vs. Net's who's setting their best players). Here are the scenarios:

- an L and Miami W - Bulls out (better pick, and puts more pressure to make changes to the FO, we can dream)

- a W and Pacers W - Bulls 8th seed (likely face Celtics in the first round, whom they were 2-2 in the regular season against)

- a W and Pacers L - Bulls 7ths seed (likely face Cavs, and no chance in hell against Lebron)

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
Ok guys, last night of regular season. I am conflicted on if I am rooting for the Bulls to make the playoffs (though they have no reason not to at home vs. Net's who's setting their best players). Here are the scenarios:

- an L and Miami W - Bulls out (better pick, and puts more pressure to make changes to the FO, we can dream)

- a W and Pacers W - Bulls 8th seed (likely face Celtics in the first round, whom they were 2-2 in the regular season against)

- a W and Pacers L - Bulls 7ths seed (likely face Cavs, and no chance in hell against Lebron)

I think it's no chance in hell vs. anyone but Toronto. That ship has sailed though.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 12, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)

I didn't think we'd even make the playoffs. This front office isn't going anywhere either :(

Now that we're so close might as well take our shot at the KANG. Aren't people making a big deal of LEBRON's minutes? We got some crazy injury basketball karma due. :o

The irony is how desperately any White Sox fan would have been rooting for ANY playoff appearance in the last decade.

In the NBA, quite a few are rationally rooting against the playoffs to force a change in the front office or at least strategic vision of ownership. That's what all the super teams have done to the NBA. Zero balance.

Edited by caulfield12