2016-2017 NBA Thread

Are the Celtics the worst #1 seed in NBA history? The Bulls are obviously not the worst #8 seed, but they are an average NBA team. I look at the Celtics, and besides IT, I'm wondering how they win over 50 games. For all the praise Ainge gets, he may have pulled a Pax with Butler. They have no shot at winning a title currently. The draft picks are going to have to hit big.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)
Are the Celtics the worst #1 seed in NBA history? The Bulls are obviously not the worst #8 seed, but they are an average NBA team. I look at the Celtics, and besides IT, I'm wondering how they win over 50 games. For all the praise Ainge gets, he may have pulled a Pax with Butler. They have no shot at winning a title currently. The draft picks are going to have to hit big.

Even if you hit big, those picks are still 2-3 seasons away from providing you meaningful minutes. Horford (overrated), Thomas (too short to be meaningful in the final minutes) and Bradley (too inconsistent) will be on the wrong end of their prime by that point too.

The Bulls might be the laziest team I have ever seen. They were completely disinterested for a large portion of this season. If they played a bad team, most times they didn't bother playing hard, and often lost. When they went up against a good team, they brough their A game, and often won.

Realistically if the team had been motivated in a day in/day out basis, they could have won somewhere around 55 games and been a top half seed.

To be fully honest, I don't know that I have hated a team that I root for anymore than I have hated this Bulls team. Even up 2-0 in a playoff series, I just can't find excitement for them.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 12:16 PM)
Even if you hit big, those picks are still 2-3 seasons away from providing you meaningful minutes. Horford (overrated), Thomas (too short to be meaningful in the final minutes) and Bradley (too inconsistent) will be on the wrong end of their prime by that point too.

That's what I'm thinking. I always have heard the Celtics are loaded. If they really thought they could make a big run without getting Buckets and staying as is, that's crazy. Maybe if everything went right, and enough Cavs are hurt, they could somehow make it out of the ridiculous East, but it would be the ugliest final in NBA history. I just look at them and see mediocrity. With Buckets, their odds increase dramatically, although the West would still have to be favored. At least they would have a shot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 11:56 AM)

Atlanta was pretty soft in 1994. Handled by Indiana in the 2nd round.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 09:56 AM)

I still think Boston is 50/50 at winning this series, but yes, they are the worst #1 seed I've seen. This is also one of the weakest tops of the conference I can remember. I still have Wiz's going ot finals.

That was a fun read. It still just feels so weird to watch that team, these are literally the players I hated most for so many years and I'm watching them at echoes of their best, if not their best.

I do respect what appears to be pretty damn good coaching by Hoiberg.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 19, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-bos...-2-b162f42ad989

Some good points like how Rondo is everywhere because he knows Boston's playbook.

I don't necessarily believe this, as Wade said, Rondo knows everyones playbook. I think he is super focused in playoffs and is being more assertive in demanding everyone know what's up. And that's just easier to do in playoffs.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 20, 2017 -> 09:57 AM)
I don't necessarily believe this, as Wade said, Rondo knows everyones playbook. I think he is super focused in playoffs and is being more assertive in demanding everyone know what's up. And that's just easier to do in playoffs.

Not directly related to this...but I view the Thibs era Bulls as a team that played close to a playoff level at most times (in terms of intensity, etc). This team clearly didn't do that most of the season (but for big games...you'd see them step up). So when you got to the playoffs...those Thibbs Bulls teams didn't have another gear, where this team likely has another gear that could pushes them up a bit. I kind of view Boston like some of those Thibs Bulls teams (the ones where Drose was hurt/shell of himself). I hope the Bulls keep it up because the East is totally wide open. If there was ever a year for an 8 seed to make the championships..this is the year (cause the East really has no great team). We can also lose the next 4...we are that streaky and while Portis and Zipser have stepped up...we've had pretty long stretches where almost no one could help Buckets.