2016-2017 NBA Thread

I've said it before and I've said it again but I firmly believe Krause was actually on verge of a very solid turnaround that Paxson got to ride the wave on. He really did acquire a crapton of assets that Paxson flipped into a bunch of those knicks picks and really only landed on Deng. Would really love to know if Krause would have been able to acquire Wade in 03 at the draft.

Crawford/Wade/Chandler...then you have to get into alternative history where we still make the knicks trades... but potential for crawford/wade/deng/chandler core.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2017 -> 09:29 AM)
I've said it before and I've said it again but I firmly believe Krause was actually on verge of a very solid turnaround that Paxson got to ride the wave on. He really did acquire a crapton of assets that Paxson flipped into a bunch of those knicks picks and really only landed on Deng. Would really love to know if Krause would have been able to acquire Wade in 03 at the draft.

Crawford/Wade/Chandler...then you have to get into alternative history where we still make the knicks trades... but potential for crawford/wade/deng/chandler core.

Jay Williams was really good too. When Krause left they had Jay Williams, Curry, Chandler, and Crawford.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
Jay Williams was really good too. When Krause left they had Jay Williams, Curry, Chandler, and Crawford.

Back then, there was a lot of pressure for Bulls to get "NBA Ready" college players from winning programs. Voila Hinrich. Voila Gordon.

Tyrus Thomas was the one real project Pax took and boy was that a disaster.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)

I know the Rose injury gets a lot of attention as being franchise changing, but the Jay Williams injury isn't talked about enough. Not only did it cost them a #1 draft pick potentially coming into his own, I will swear to this day it pushed the team to select Hinrich to replace him after Wade went off of the board in front of them, and everything kind of fell into place after that.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
I know the Rose injury gets a lot of attention as being franchise changing, but the Jay Williams injury isn't talked about enough. Not only did it cost them a #1 draft pick potentially coming into his own, I will swear to this day it pushed the team to select Hinrich to replace him after Wade went off of the board in front of them, and everything kind of fell into place after that.

Yep. Having a core of Jay Williams/Dwyane Wade/Jamal Crawford/Eddy Curry/Tyson Chandler would have been nice at the time.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)
Yep. Having a core of Jay Williams/Dwyane Wade/Jamal Crawford/Eddy Curry/Tyson Chandler would have been nice at the time.

How would we have gotten Wade?

And despite how much all of us were done with Kirk during his last stint here, he was the best player left after Wade in 03 so not sure the Jay injury forced them to do anything.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 4, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
How would we have gotten Wade?

And despite how much all of us were done with Kirk during his last stint here, he was the best player left after Wade in 03 so not sure the Jay injury forced them to do anything.

Yeah, Hinrich was fine. But I think they were less willing to make that reasonable trade up for Wade knowing that they didn't really have a point guard (Crawford was pretty injury plagued at the time, it is amazing, I'd never have pegged him of all those players to be a 18 something year vet)

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
Yeah, Hinrich was fine. But I think they were less willing to make that reasonable trade up for Wade knowing that they didn't really have a point guard (Crawford was pretty injury plagued at the time, it is amazing, I'd never have pegged him of all those players to be a 18 something year vet)

Didn't everyone at the time think Wade was going to fall to the Bulls anyways? IIRC(which it was in 03 so I certainly might not) people were a bit surprised when the Heat took him.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2017 -> 11:06 AM)
I can't say that I remember a lot about the 02-03 season but I thought Williams looked like a bust. He had that really nice triple double game but couldn't shoot.

yeah, blech, under 40% from the field.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willija03.html

Williams started coming into his own in the 2nd half of the season. Was terrible in 1st half though.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)

Yep. I want to say it was Toronto at 4? Theyw anted Bulls pick at 7 plus Donyell Marshall and some other stuff. Bulls stood pat and thought they could get Wade at 7.

This wouldn't be my pick if we were to acquire something like this for Butler, but man the Bulls looked so good when they were busting teams out in transition. I would be so pumped if they could somehow land Deaaron Fox in this draft.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)
This wouldn't be my pick if we were to acquire something like this for Butler, but man the Bulls looked so good when they were busting teams out in transition. I would be so pumped if they could somehow land Deaaron Fox in this draft.

I'm a fan of Fox. Problem is the one skill he's kind of lacking at this point is kind of an important one. If he can develop any kind of jump shot he's going to be pretty nasty.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2017 -> 05:58 AM)
Paxson took over as GM in 2003. He has hired 5 coaches and they have won 5 playoff series. They've actually only won 5 playoff series since 98. Their drafting has also fallen off the cliff since Matt Lloyd left the organization. The Bulls have fewer scouts than most teams and a semblance of an analytics department. Paxson basically took the reigns back yesterday and I'd rather have him in power than Gar but it's still just meh. I do think there's a solid chance that Pax trades Butler at the draft though and restarts the franchise.

There were a couple reports yesterday that Gar might be fired. I think WhiteSoxDave might have been the source of it. Either way, it seems that Paxson is winning back the power struggle from Gar (if it did exist), with his brother becoming more involved (which isn't a bad thing). I wonder if we'll see them bring in some new blood? That said, as we all know, they are in a pretty unique position, you either kind of take it one year at a time, while biding time for young players to develop (hoping you get a bit lucky) and tackling free agency, or you blow it all up. I don't really know that one is much better then the other, although it is probably more frustrating for many fans to be caught "in limbo".

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 4, 2017 -> 11:25 AM)
Yep. I want to say it was Toronto at 4? Theyw anted Bulls pick at 7 plus Donyell Marshall and some other stuff. Bulls stood pat and thought they could get Wade at 7.

This is what I remember as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
There were a couple reports yesterday that Gar might be fired. I think WhiteSoxDave might have been the source of it. Either way, it seems that Paxson is winning back the power struggle from Gar (if it did exist), with his brother becoming more involved (which isn't a bad thing). I wonder if we'll see them bring in some new blood? That said, as we all know, they are in a pretty unique position, you either kind of take it one year at a time, while biding time for young players to develop (hoping you get a bit lucky) and tackling free agency, or you blow it all up. I don't really know that one is much better then the other, although it is probably more frustrating for many fans to be caught "in limbo".

He claims he never said it that and that someone falsely attributed it to him, FWIW.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 4, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
I'm a fan of Fox. Problem is the one skill he's kind of lacking at this point is kind of an important one. If he can develop any kind of jump shot he's going to be pretty nasty.

He is joining the one team where that won't stick out like a sore thumb.

But you are right, without one he's just a faster elfred Payton. But he's really fast.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)

They are like choosing to be in basketball hell. It's quite fascinating the way they spin this all the time. They try to make the playoffs but then complain that picks in the 16-20 range don't produce difference makers.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2017 -> 07:29 AM)

Hinrich and Gordon were good draft picks as well (I realize Gordon went on to suck, but the value the Bulls got out of him was good). Krause was an excellent and brilliant GM though. People skills lacked, but fantastic GM. I think the Bulls could excel with Paxson, but I think they need a fresh team below him. I firmly believe Paxson is a very good basketball executive (albeit his time might have come in Chicago and there are absolutely thinks to knock him for). That said, him taking more authority (and Gar less) is a positive. Maybe not as good as other alternatives, but at least a positive. Will be an interesting (or uninteresting) offseason. No one really knows yet.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 4, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
I can't say that I remember a lot about the 02-03 season but I thought Williams looked like a bust. He had that really nice triple double game but couldn't shoot.

yeah, blech, under 40% from the field.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willija03.html

Look at Durant's rookie year numbers. Not related, but PG's usually struggle (even the best) their rookie year. It is why if I were the Bulls I'd be hounding the Lakers to grab Russell and see if you can make him work. His numbers (compared to other good / young PG's) are really really good. Heck, look how long it took Wall to really emerge.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 4, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
Look at Durant's rookie year numbers. Not related, but PG's usually struggle (even the best) their rookie year. It is why if I were the Bulls I'd be hounding the Lakers to grab Russell and see if you can make him work. His numbers (compared to other good / young PG's) are really really good. Heck, look how long it took Wall to really emerge.

Russell in a trade for Butler you mean, right?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 4, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
He claims he never said it that and that someone falsely attributed it to him, FWIW.

This is all he said, he never confirmed anything

@barstooldave

I have a sneaky suspicion Gar Foreman is gonna get s***canned tomorrow. Call me Nostradamus

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 3, 2017 -> 04:55 PM)
You've flip flopped on the Cavs like 47 times this season. Now this is going to be the greatest NBA finals of all time?

That was before playoff LeBron emerged. I didn't think he had THIS in him at this stage of his career.