2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:40 AM)
If you aren't willing to trade the #1 pick, plus another high lottery pick for Butler...then i see no reason to move him.

Maybe Boston panics if Cavs sweep or dominate them.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:51 AM)
Sacramento is an incredibly dumb organization but the Bulls really have nothing of value to trade other than Butler.

That's not true we have the largest collection of sub zero PER guards.

Just in here to comment again on how awful the playoffs have been. I don't even regularly look at scores anymore or know who's playing, all I know is GS vs. CLE in finals with GS likely winning. Which... we could have predicted months and months ago.

BOOOOORRRRRRING

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 17, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
It doesn't have to be Boston though. I could see something getting done with Minnesota.

What is Minnesota giving us? They don't have a pick worth Butler and they aren't giving up Wiggins or Towns? Dunn and the 7th isn't near enough.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 17, 2017 -> 09:26 AM)
Is he top 5? No. Is he top 10-12, a franchise guy and a national brand? Yes.

I still maintain that the Bulls would be stupid to trade Butler, a relatively cheap, All-Star/borderline super-star player, for a bunch of picks that odds say will not pan out and whose ceilings are right where Jimmy Butler is right now. And the FO knows this. They don't want to go through the 00's again with no headlining name. They have someone who will sell tickets and jerseys. They'll try to piece together a team around him.

And no matter what they do, they're not beating Lebron in the next 3-4 seasons unless he suffers an injury.

He's not a border-line super star. He's a solid All-star 2nd best player on a contender type with 2 years left and roughly 100,000,000 minutes played. There isn't a thing the Bulls can do to be contenders for the 2 years Jimmy has left. If you somehow convince Boston to give up the #1 + more, you do it in a heartbeat and hope you hit the jackpot, rinse, repeat.

I doubt the franchise could give 2 s***s if they don't have a "headline" name. They print money no matter what and clearly don't give a s*** about the actual product.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 17, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
What is Minnesota giving us? They don't have a pick worth Butler and they aren't giving up Wiggins or Towns? Dunn and the 7th isn't near enough.

7th, Lavine, another future 1st and Dunn is enough I think. They need to reset the franchise. I care more about winning titles though than most people apparently and I'm not married to Jimmy Butler. If they wouldn't take a deal like that, well enjoy NBA hell I guess.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Just in here to comment again on how awful the playoffs have been. I don't even regularly look at scores anymore or know who's playing, all I know is GS vs. CLE in finals with GS likely winning. Which... we could have predicted months and months ago.

BOOOOORRRRRRING

no point tuning in til June

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)

BOOOOORRRRRRING

I think lower than a 3rd seed has won the NBA championship 2 times ever.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 17, 2017 -> 11:09 AM)
7th, Lavine, another future 1st and Dunn is enough I think. They need to reset the franchise. I care more about winning titles though than most people apparently and I'm not married to Jimmy Butler. If they wouldn't take a deal like that, well enjoy NBA hell I guess.

I would do that. I don't think Wolves would.

QUOTE (bmags @ May 17, 2017 -> 10:49 AM)
So here's going to be my offseason thing.

I have no idea how value works out.

But, I'd like Bulls to keep butler and do whatever they can to get Sacramentos #5 pick. I think there will be great value there.

You may ask what they give up. I really don't have an answer there. I doubt it's possible. but i hope it is.

Yeah. I don't see how any player coming out this year is equal to Jimmy Butler right now.

By keeping Jimmy and Wade staying, we're locked in for that 15-18th pick for the next couple years. With no decent pick in draft, no competent FO to get the most trade value out of Jimmy, Bulls are stuck in this purgatory for at least the next 5 years or so.

Unless we sign Blake Griffin and a competent PG this summer, this team will not change its fortune.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ May 19, 2017 -> 11:08 AM)
By keeping Jimmy and Wade staying, we're locked in for that 15-18th pick for the next couple years. With no decent pick in draft, no competent FO to get the most trade value out of Jimmy, Bulls are stuck in this purgatory for at least the next 5 years or so.

Unless we sign Blake Griffin and a competent PG this summer, this team will not change its fortune.

And if Wade comes back, unless Griffin wants to play for the Bulls at an exception not going to happen. The Bulls decided 8th seeds are fun.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
And if Wade comes back, unless Griffin wants to play for the Bulls at an exception not going to happen. The Bulls decided 8th seeds are fun.

He'd have to take a discount to come here. I see a chance of leaving him LA after another first round exit, but not much of a chance taking a discount to come to the Bulls of all teams.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ May 19, 2017 -> 10:30 AM)
He'd have to take a discount to come here. I see a chance of leaving him LA after another first round exit, but not much of a chance taking a discount to come to the Bulls of all teams.

More likely he goes to OKC, imo. I heard someone suggesting that the lottery should be changed to include middling playoff teams (so 5-8 seeds) and that all teams in the lottery should have even odds. It removes tanking while also theoritically giving more "middling" teams who are trying to contend a chance to contend. The NBA has a serious problem, given how few teams can legitimately contend right now.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 19, 2017 -> 12:48 PM)
More likely he goes to OKC, imo. I heard someone suggesting that the lottery should be changed to include middling playoff teams (so 5-8 seeds) and that all teams in the lottery should have even odds. It removes tanking while also theoritically giving more "middling" teams who are trying to contend a chance to contend. The NBA has a serious problem, given how few teams can legitimately contend right now.

You know who says this? Everyone but the NBA. The NBA is just fine being top heavy. They always have been. Come playoff time, when the real money from TV is made, they get monster ratings from having Cavs v. Warriors part 3 instead of Blazers v. Bucks.

I think the NBA would like the real s*** franchises (Sacramento, Minnesota, Orlando, Phoenix, etc) to occasionally be good and make it to the playoffs so that their fanbases stay engaged, but if there's only a handful of teams with legitimate shots at the title, they're fine with that too.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 19, 2017 -> 01:02 PM)
You know who says this? Everyone but the NBA. The NBA is just fine being top heavy. They always have been. Come playoff time, when the real money from TV is made, they get monster ratings from having Cavs v. Warriors part 3 instead of Blazers v. Bucks.

I think the NBA would like the real s*** franchises (Sacramento, Minnesota, Orlando, Phoenix, etc) to occasionally be good and make it to the playoffs so that their fanbases stay engaged, but if there's only a handful of teams with legitimate shots at the title, they're fine with that too.

I wish something was done to motivate teams to win, and give the teams like the Bulls, the NBA hell guys, some sort of shot even with GarPax calling the shots. Of course I probably didn't feel that way when the Bulls were picking top 3 every year.

What would really be interesting if they made the lottery open to all teams with the same odds, 1st round draft pick trades would probably go way down unless the guy was an absolute star.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2017 -> 01:14 PM)
I wish something was done to motivate teams to win, and give the teams like the Bulls, the NBA hell guys, some sort of shot even with GarPax calling the shots. Of course I probably didn't feel that way when the Bulls were picking top 3 every year.

What would really be interesting if they made the lottery open to all teams with the same odds, 1st round draft pick trades would probably go way down unless the guy was an absolute star.

But you know that a team like the Cavs would get a good pick and then you've just compounded the problem.

I don't like the wheel idea because you could get screwed on a s***ty draft year. At least now that s***ty draft year for the bad team means that the following year they have another shot at it because they'll be bad. In the wheel scenario you're stuck waiting another 6 seasons before you have a shot at really good talent.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 19, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
But you know that a team like the Cavs would get a good pick and then you've just compounded the problem.

I don't like the wheel idea because you could get screwed on a s***ty draft year. At least now that s***ty draft year for the bad team means that the following year they have another shot at it because they'll be bad. In the wheel scenario you're stuck waiting another 6 seasons before you have a shot at really good talent.

Maybe do a lottery for the first 4 or 5 picks, then go in order of horridness. And leave the 4 conference finalists or the 8 conference semi-finalists out of it. It might keep teams from totally tanking. You'll never get rid of all of it. Cuban said once they were eliminated, they wanted to lose as much as possible. I understand it, but there is something fundamentally wrong with it. You're basically legally throwing games.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ May 19, 2017 -> 11:02 AM)

NBA was great when the Blazers and Kings were both rivaling the Lakers in the late 90's. The fact that there are 2 or 3 teams that can contend is not good for basketball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 19, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)

The idea I mentioned was a hybrid. You at least took out the top 8 teams in the league, but everyone else was in the lottery with the same odds. That way, you are encouraged to do as good as you can and if you are a 5th seed, you could end up getting out of NBA hell by winning the lottery or landing a top pick (this in general, should lead to more teams trying and actually give teams who are on the cusp a shot to actually push over the top).

QUOTE (bmags @ May 17, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
sacramento is in really good position in this draft at 5 and 10. I really like this draft, glad we'll get some 5th year senior with injury problems and questionable athleticism.

Of course I just read where players are refusing to work out for the Kings