2016-2017 NBA Thread

Oakley, Paxson, Gene Banks, Corzine, Cureton....those were the five leading scorers after MJ on the 85-1986 team.

The next year, Oakley, Sam Vincent, Corzine, Sellers, Paxson.

Ho Grant and Pippen both averaged 8 per game in their rookie campaigns.

How are these remotely comparable to anything LBJ had to work with in Miami and Cleveland (2nd time around)?

Not to mention MJ's baseball career messed up two additional title runs. And James has had an extra three years of playing in his prime. Not to mention the baseball foray again. Arguably 2-3 more titles had he come out even earlier and not played for the Barons.

Michael Jeffrey Jordan

(Mike, Air Jordan, M.J., His Airness, Money, Black Cat, G.O.A.T., Superman)

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 7, 2017 -> 11:39 PM)
Korver almost never misses that shot, it was the right play per usual by LeBron. Can't believe we're still doing the LeBron is too passive routine in 2017.

Michael Jordan would never let John Paxson or Steve Kerr take a last second shot with the series on the line, right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 04:25 AM)
Oakley, Paxson, Gene Banks, Corzine, Cureton....those were the five leading scorers after MJ on the 85-1986 team.

The next year, Oakley, Sam Vincent, Corzine, Sellers, Paxson.

Ho Grant and Pippen both averaged 8 per game in their rookie campaigns.

How are these remotely comparable to anything LBJ had to work with in Miami and Cleveland (2nd time around)?

Not to mention MJ's baseball career messed up two additional title runs. And James has had an extra three years of playing in his prime. Not to mention the baseball foray again. Arguably 2-3 more titles had he come out even earlier and not played for the Barons.

Michael Jeffrey Jordan

(Mike, Air Jordan, M.J., His Airness, Money, Black Cat, G.O.A.T., Superman)

I know what MJ had around him in '86 and '87. That was not the point. Those were the two best teams he saw from a talent perspective during his career and he couldn't win a game. I didn't bring up any 90's team he beat because it's absolutely laughable to compare any team from the 90's outside of Chicago of course to this Warriors team.

Not sure how MJ retiring to play baseball, suspended for gambling, etc, supports him against LeBron in this case

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 03:15 AM)
Michael Jordan would never let John Paxson or Steve Kerr take a last second shot with the series on the line, right?

I'm not complaining about one play. I don't mind, in a vacuum, that he passes to Korver there who is open for a three he often hits.

I'm complaining that the Cavs, in particular, did this repeatedly in the second half, to the point where LeBron was almost giving away uncontested shots from 5 feet in favor of three pointers, which they continuously missed.

At some point you take the easy bucket and/or free throws because of the percentages and the experience you're seeing in this particular game. Both Jackson and Van Gundy commented on this repeatedly. So it's not just about the play to Korver. This occurred 5+ times.

As for LeBron, look, the guy is a spectacular player. And I'm not looking to start the discussion of who is the better player, LeBron or Mike. But folks, Mike wouldn't have lost that game. He simply wouldn't have allowed it to happen. Down in crunch time, up 6, down 2-0 in the series, he's not passing the f***ing ball from the lane to a role player. He's f***ing taking Steph f***ing Curry to the rack and finishing or getting fouled to salt away that game. That was the difference between Jordan in his prime and any other player. He simply wasn't going to let you win.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 03:15 AM)

And btw, no need to always be the snarky little, well, you know.

Were the Bulls down 2-0 when Michael passed off to Kerr or Paxson? Was this after passing up dunks at the rim? Was "the shot" known as the 3 pointer John Paxson hit from the corner?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 04:25 AM)

And was only 22-24 years old at the time of those years.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 05:26 AM)
I'm not complaining about one play. I don't mind, in a vacuum, that he passes to Korver there who is open for a three he often hits.

I'm complaining that the Cavs, in particular, did this repeatedly in the second half, to the point where LeBron was almost giving away uncontested shots from 5 feet in favor of three pointers, which they continuously missed.

At some point you take the easy bucket and/or free throws because of the percentages and the experience you're seeing in this particular game. Both Jackson and Van Gundy commented on this repeatedly. So it's not just about the play to Korver. This occurred 5+ times.

As for LeBron, look, the guy is a spectacular player. And I'm not looking to start the discussion of who is the better player, LeBron or Mike. But folks, Mike wouldn't have lost that game. He simply wouldn't have allowed it to happen. Down in crunch time, up 6, down 2-0 in the series, he's not passing the f***ing ball from the lane to a role player. He's f***ing taking Steph f***ing Curry to the rack and finishing or getting fouled to salt away that game. That was the difference between Jordan in his prime and any other player. He simply wasn't going to let you win.

:headbang

That same exact quality as Tiger Woods had from 1997-2008/09 when he held the outright lead in a major. I think he lost just twice when leading after 54 holes, the first time to YE Yang at the 2009 PGA after 14 consecutive...

He simply wouldn't allow anyone else to win. Sheer will power. MJ never had it in him to defer, from the time he hit that shot from the baseline against Georgetown in the 1982 final as a freshman. Reread The Jordan Rules for a refresher. It was an incredible thing, because he never had a beautiful arc on those jumpers...they just always seemed to go in at crunch time.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 06:26 AM)

Michael was 1-9 without Scottie his first three years and lost to the same Detroit team 3 years on a row until they got old in '91. You telling me throughout that entire 6-year period MJ never made a questionable basketball play? GMAB. MJ is so f***ing lucky he came up when he came up.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 04:59 AM)
Michael was 1-9 without Scottie his first three years and lost to the same Detroit team 3 years on a row until they got old in '91. You telling me throughout that entire 6-year period MJ never made a questionable basketball play? GMAB. MJ is so f***ing lucky he came up when he came up.

Dude, learn to read.

What are you even responding to?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)

Now you're just trolling. MJ didn't lose when he got to the Finals. I like Lebron unlike many, but he is no MJ. First off, MJ would never have fled to Miami to get a ring. Ever. And MJ never lost in the Finals. Comparing his teams performance in 1986 vs. the Cavs now, is hysterical. I don't think MJ could do much more than drop 63 on the Celtics. If you want to say that loss is on him, go ahead. MJ and the Bulls would have shook this Cavs team, which has you shook. What a time to be alive.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 06:59 AM)

Simply put, if you put Jordan in Lebron's shoes in those last few minutes last night do you think they lose?

People need to stop acting like Lebron has no help like his last run in Cleveland. I know they are nothing compared to GS but it's absolutely great to watch him lose to an arranged "Super Team." You made your bed now lie in it Lebron. Greatest player of this generation, definitely. GOAT - not a chance, ever....

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 11:48 AM)
People need to stop acting like Lebron has no help like his last run in Cleveland. I know they are nothing compared to GS but it's absolutely great to watch him lose to an arranged "Super Team." You made your bed now lie in it Lebron. Greatest player of this generation, definitely. GOAT - not a chance, ever....

He's got talent, but the problem is the talent needs the ball to be of use. Irving may be the best PG ever in terms of his dribbling and ability to finish around the rim, but that's basically all he is good at. He's not good on defense (or doesn't care) and he's not a good off the ball shooter. Love is pretty good at everything but not great at anything. And everyone else, well, there's not a lot there. A lot of aging vets that can't hang with the under-30 Warriors.

The Warriors are the opposite. Not only do they have more talent, but the talent fits together. No one needs to be ball-dominant. They can fly around and be apart of the offense. Yes, Durant's been taking the big shots, but that's mainly because of what the defense is giving him.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 10:15 AM)
I don't know if a 34-35 year old Michael in place of Lebron would have beat this Warriors team, but all I know is Michael would have guarded Durant in the 4th and taken the last shot.

A 28-year old Michael Jordan would have no chance because this Warriors team is unprecedented. Two MVPs in their prime, the second greatest shooter in league history and one of the best all-around players in the league who is set to win DPOY. Again, they're all in their 20's. And MJ vs KD would be a joke. A 6'6 SG vs a damn near 7'0 forward? MJ would have no chance.

Edited by Jordan4life

No way Durant has the quickness to stay with him...despite that 7' wingspan.

Now comes word from Kevin O'Conor of The Ringer that "rumblings across the league" suggest that LeBron James' days in Cleveland are numbered and that when he can opt out of his contract after next season, he will take his talents to Los Angeles.

The feeling is that LeBron would either team up with Paul George and join the young core on the Lakers or form a Super Friends team with Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, and Carmelo Anthony on the Clippers. Yahoo sports

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 07:39 AM)
No way Durant has the quickness to stay with him...despite that 7' wingspan.

Now comes word from Kevin O'Conor of The Ringer that "rumblings across the league" suggest that LeBron James' days in Cleveland are numbered and that when he can opt out of his contract after next season, he will take his talents to Los Angeles.

The feeling is that LeBron would either team up with Paul George and join the young core on the Lakers or form a Super Friends team with Chris Paul, Dwyane Wade, and Carmelo Anthony on the Clippers. Yahoo sports

Yeah I don't think that team is better than the Warriors either. Only LeBron and PG actually play good defense out of those 5. And 4 of those guys are getting pretty old.

Why would he move west where it's more difficult to get to the Finals? Maybe to the Spurs, if that can even happen. Lebron + Kahwi on Durant and Curry may work...

If anything they need to trade Love or Kyrie for some serious, young talent. His dumbest move as a GM was giving Thompson so much money. They're stuck with him.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 08:48 AM)
Why would he move west where it's more difficult to get to the Finals? Maybe to the Spurs, if that can even happen. Lebron + Kahwi on Durant and Curry may work...

If anything they need to trade Love or Kyrie for some serious, young talent. His dumbest move as a GM was giving Thompson so much money. They're stuck with him.

Do we know for certain that Durant will stay in Oakland after 2018?? Maybe he'd go join LBJ somewhere.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 9, 2017 -> 05:11 AM)
A 28-year old Michael Jordan would have no chance because this Warriors team is unprecedented. Two MVPs in their prime, the second greatest shooter in league history and one of the best all-around players in the league who is set to win DPOY. Again, they're all in their 20's. And MJ vs KD would be a joke. A 6'6 SG vs a damn near 7'0 forward? MJ would have no chance.

You need to step back and recognize that the styles of play were just so different. You are retroactively judging Jordan for playing in the era he did, as if he wouldn't adjust his game or anything.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
He's got talent, but the problem is the talent needs the ball to be of use. Irving may be the best PG ever in terms of his dribbling and ability to finish around the rim, but that's basically all he is good at. He's not good on defense (or doesn't care) and he's not a good off the ball shooter. Love is pretty good at everything but not great at anything. And everyone else, well, there's not a lot there. A lot of aging vets that can't hang with the under-30 Warriors.

The Warriors are the opposite. Not only do they have more talent, but the talent fits together. No one needs to be ball-dominant. They can fly around and be apart of the offense. Yes, Durant's been taking the big shots, but that's mainly because of what the defense is giving him.

This is a really good point. The job Kerr has done of getting guys like Draymond Green and Klay Thompson to buy into their roles, and the fact that Steph Curry was willing to embrace a role next to Durant to win titles is pretty incredible.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jun 8, 2017 -> 03:59 PM)

I agree, the Warriors are much more loaded with all around talent. The fact that so many of them can shoot so damn well doesn't really give a chance to any opponent right now. I'm just tired of hearing that it's just Lebron losing to the Warriors. This isn't the Cleveland team where Ilgauskas was the 2nd best player behind James. It's really more of a credit to how good the Warriors are that they are destroying the Cavs who aren't all that different from the team that won it all last year.