2016-2017 NBA Thread

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 10:14 AM)
Who are the two max guys they are going to get though? The only max-type guys available next year are Paul, Griffin, Westbrook and Antetokounmpo. And it seems odd that Rondo just pursued and recruited Wade only to be replaced a year later by Paul.

Technically, isn't Steph a free agent. If you sign Giannis you would have room for a max to Giannis and a max to someone in the older age max group (given how the max deals range). Plus, Lebron & Durant will presumably opt-out again and be free agents.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:16 PM)
Technically, isn't Steph a free agent. If you sign Giannis you would have room for a max to Giannis and a max to someone in the older age max group (given how the max deals range).

Yeah but I didn't add him because he's not leaving.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 10:17 AM)
Yeah but I didn't add him because he's not leaving.

Durant & Lebron will be free agents too. Again, not saying they will be leaving, but you never know what could happen.

Technically, isn't Steph a free agent. If you sign Giannis you would have room for a max to Giannis and a max to someone in the older age max group (given how the max deals range). Plus, Lebron & Durant will presumably opt-out again and be free agents.

What? Max deals are higher for older guys. That's why Barnes is like 4-94 and Horford is like 4-113.

And once again, they're not close to a second max. They would have like 17 mil for 9 roster spots.

Bottom line, we could argue all we want about whether the Bulls can offer full max or within 2 or 3M per player if you went two max guys, but the reality is, given the cap increases, etc...that puts you in as competitive position as anyone else and that team would still have pieces like Wade / Butler / Lopez. Now they have to be competitive this year or everything goes to hell (and Wade better damn well enjoy his stay here).

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 10:20 AM)
What? Max deals are higher for older guys. That's why Barnes is like 4-94 and Horford is like 4-113.

And once again, they're not close to a second max. They would have like 17 mil for 9 roster spots.

Yes - I am referring to Giannis who would get a smaller deal than the 30M you reference (and than you'd have a Paul who would be at that projected 28.8M number). And you can really clear space with all the minimum roster holds, etc. There are some people who have pulled together some pretty detailed charts saying it absolutely is doable (or was at the 107). Doesn't mean you have a deep roster, but you are in the neighborhood.

Giannis isn't even worth discussing as he is a restricted free agent next year and Milwaukee will almost assuredly just match any offer.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 10:23 AM)
Giannis isn't even worth discussing as he is a restricted free agent next year and Milwaukee will almost assuredly just match any offer.

Fair point. Realistically, I think they land Chris Paul and the question is does Blake go with them or do guys like Niko and internal people take steps up where we look more at Paul plus one or two solid players (and than know that when Wade rolls of the books the following year, you can again add some youth). This wasn't the strategy I imagined the Bulls took...but I see plenty of possibilities of a good team.

I see zero possibilities of being the front runners for the title, but I don't know anyteam that could do anything about that today (given what is on the Warriors roster) but that doesn't mean you should just give up and the reality is you never know what could happen.

Realistically, we all know that a year from now is a long way off, but the Bulls could actually be in a pretty solid spot to lure and entice some high profile guys.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:22 PM)
Yes - I am referring to Giannis who would get a smaller deal than the 30M you reference (and than you'd have a Paul who would be at that projected 28.8M number). And you can really clear space with all the minimum roster holds, etc. There are some people who have pulled together some pretty detailed charts saying it absolutely is doable (or was at the 107). Doesn't mean you have a deep roster, but you are in the neighborhood.

People that are bad at math apparently. Butler, Lopez, Wade and even 50 mil for two FA comes out to like 106, and the other 8 players (I think you need at least 13) won't work for free.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 10:29 AM)
People that are bad at math apparently. Butler, Lopez, Wade and even 50 mil for two FA comes out to like 106, and the other 8 players (I think you need at least 13) won't work for free.

I think the difference is my definition of "in the neighborhood vs. your definition of in the neighborhood".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:30 PM)
I think the difference is my definition of "in the neighborhood vs. your definition of in the neighborhood".

I posted the math a while ago. It's not remotely "in the neighborhood", it's like 20 million short. The only way you can get close is if you use hoopshype's current numbers that don't include Wade, which is hilariously stupid.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, a beautiful day in the neighborhood, would you be, would you be, my neighbor? (or is it wouldn't you be...haha)

Fred "Mr." Rogers

Holy s***, you are not funny.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)
Can someone explain to me why a Chris Paul or the like would want to come here next year? We don't seem to attract any top level free agents.

Because of Wade, Rondo, and Butler actively recruiting. I think that's the game plan.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)
Can someone explain to me why a Chris Paul or the like would want to come here next year? We don't seem to attract any top level free agents.

All aboard the Banana Boat

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 01:44 PM)

They're a lot more negative than the ChisoxFN version, but there's plenty to like either way in this article and they go specifically after that point - whether or not this signing and the surrounding setup could be the opening move in changing that pattern.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 12:44 PM)

I'm more concerned why people still want this team to get older.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jul 7, 2016 -> 01:54 PM)
K.C. Johnson ‏@KCJHoop 5m5 minutes ago

Rondo called he and Butler and Wade are "three alphas" but called it "Jimmy's team."

This will be fun in terms of off the court drama this season, its going to get heated at times for sure.