2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
My logic for that is "if 40% of people can't be bothered to vote, and you force them to, what kind of s***bags would they vote for?

Then I saw that people freely nominated Donald Trump so now I'm not so sure.

I think the problem is the opposite. The radicals on the wings are the ones who are most motivated to vote. It is the middle that feels that there is nothing for them, so they don't vote.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 09:22 AM)
I think most of SA and Australia have compulsory voting.

An over-emphasis on Presidential races definitely doesn't help "off" year turnout.

I'm surprised by Australia but for some reason I find it more acceptable for parliamentary voting, so long as punishment is no more than a kick in the bum.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 10:27 AM)
I think the problem is the opposite. The radicals on the wings are the ones who are most motivated to vote. It is the middle that feels that there is nothing for them, so they don't vote.

That's a fair take actually. Only committed partisans and party loyalists tend to vote in primaries (something a lot of Bernie supporters had trouble understanding in the primaries imo).

Michael McDonald @ElectProject

FL #earlyvote Race change vs 2012 via @electionsmith

Afr-Am +70.6K (+9.2%)

Hisp +453.8K (+86.9%)

White +900K (+27.2%)

Other +121.5K (+48.3%)

9:22 AM - 7 Nov 2016

If Florida and PA both get called for Clinton early, you can pretty much call it a night.

At the end of the day it will be a landslide for Clinton.

The American politcal system is in shambles right now.

In the city of Chicago you have

-Broke overtaxed city pushing middle class out of the city

-Overtaxed county doing redundant work that is pushing folks out of the county

-State in shambles as career politicians bleed citizans dry and drive them out of the state increasing taxes wherever they can

-Federal government...I am not certain what that s*** show is.....GOP is out of control and instead of vetting to find a candidate (actually I think any of the other 15 could have won) the nomination goes to a guy that could be as unelectable as a politician could be. Hillary will take office with about a 20% approval rating after getting about 60% of the popular vote....think about that.

She'll probably come in somewhere between 48-50. And for whatever it's worth, her approval ratings have climbed a little bit over the past month or two. She probably won't get any sort of new President honeymoon period, though.

I was going to respond to Ezio/ss2k5's convo earlier and say something about Americans in general having a more cynical view of politics and that drives down turnout, and I think Harry's post expresses that sentiment pretty well.

this map is about what I'm thinking right now, with NC being pretty much 50/50

9vVOIGK.png

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 11:07 AM)
At the end of the day it will be a landslide for Clinton.

The American politcal system is in shambles right now.

In the city of Chicago you have

-Broke overtaxed city pushing middle class out of the city

-Overtaxed county doing redundant work that is pushing folks out of the county

-State in shambles as career politicians bleed citizans dry and drive them out of the state increasing taxes wherever they can

-Federal government...I am not certain what that s*** show is.....GOP is out of control and instead of vetting to find a candidate (actually I think any of the other 15 could have won) the nomination goes to a guy that could be as unelectable as a politician could be. Hillary will take office with about a 20% approval rating after getting about 60% of the popular vote....think about that.

I dont think Chicago is overtaxed at all. The property tax rate is quite worse outside of the city in many nice areas.

Just more proof the Hillary email found on Weiner's computer letter, was a politically motivated act, and was totally unnecessary, all the emails turned out to be duplicates or personal emails. Edward Snowden showed how that could be determined in minutes.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 08:43 AM)
Just more proof the Hillary email found on Weiner's computer letter, was a politically motivated act, and was totally unnecessary, all the emails turned out to be duplicates or personal emails. Edward Snowden showed how that could be determined in minutes.

But I read an article that says she is hiding something and all of this looks bad. There was a guy on Rush Limbaugh's show that went into all sorts of details on why this is so shady. Let me ask you, do you think that she will be effective for her 8 years while her daughter gets political experience or will she be indicted and go to prison? I just don't see how anyone can vote for her as she is the worst candidate ever. I think Trump is awful too but she is on another level. I will likely just write in Ozzie Guillen since he knows how to get people excited.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 11:57 AM)
But I read an article that says she is hiding something and all of this looks bad. There was a guy on Rush Limbaugh's show that went into all sorts of details on why this is so shady. Let me ask you, do you think that she will be effective for her 8 years while her daughter gets political experience or will she be indicted and go to prison? I just don't see how anyone can vote for her as she is the worst candidate ever. I think Trump is awful too but she is on another level. I will likely just write in Ozzie Guillen since he knows how to get people excited.

It should've been obvious that the vast majority of those e-mails had already been seen, since they'd been on her server, and that's how e-mail works

edit: I replied to the wrong post, but lol

Edited by Ezio Auditore

I voted early yesterday, took about an hour and a half. Not great but still better than trying to go Tuesday before work, not because it would take longer but because I would have to do it early in the AM as I typically don't get back from the burbs until really late at night.

Has been pointed out - IRS was able to get through this thing without the high profile leak (the NY Times leak was clearly not from IRS).

The last two weeks of FBI leaks are embarrassing for them. Comey needs to clean house.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 12:24 PM)
Has been pointed out - IRS was able to get through this thing without the high profile leak (the NY Times leak was clearly not from IRS).

The last two weeks of FBI leaks are embarrassing for them. Comey needs to clean house.

I have a different opinion of them than most of the public, but I was still surprised by the rank unprofessionalism from them. Especially the New York office.

QUOTE (Ezio Auditore @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 11:30 AM)
I have a different opinion of them than most of the public, but I was still surprised by the rank unprofessionalism from them. Especially the New York office.

I don't think Comey's actions were partisan, I think they were political to pre-emptively respond to attacks of them trying to "cover up" the investigation if htey were working on it. It's political in trying to preserve FBI integrity.

But because his letter was so vague, all of the agents leaked out the motivations and details. It was a mess and entirely predictable and a reason why this doesn't happen. It's hard for people outside that law enforcement world to understand what it means when a letter like that gets introduced.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 12:37 PM)
I don't think Comey's actions were partisan, I think they were political to pre-emptively respond to attacks of them trying to "cover up" the investigation if htey were working on it. It's political in trying to preserve FBI integrity.

But because his letter was so vague, all of the agents leaked out the motivations and details. It was a mess and entirely predictable and a reason why this doesn't happen. It's hard for people outside that law enforcement world to understand what it means when a letter like that gets introduced.

Not Comey, but the mid-level employees. That type of nonsense is supposed to be beneath them.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 11:37 AM)

I think it was a favor to Guilliani.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 6, 2016 -> 01:55 PM)
I'll probably have to leave it blank. Maybe vote for Kasisch.

You are aware that in Kansas your write in vote will not even be counted if that person has not filed as an official "write in candidate" right?

Here's a list of people that have officially filed with the state of Kansas.

Andrew Basiago

Darrell Castle

Rocky De La Fuente

Rocky Giordani

James Hedges

Tom Hoefling

Lynn Kahn

Gloria La Riva

Michael S Levinson

Michael A Maturen

Evan McMullin

Monica Moorehead

Darryl Perry

Marshall Schoenke

Joe Schriner

Mike Smith

Ajay Sood

Shawna Sterling

Anthony Valdivia

J.J. Vogel-Walcutt

Demetra Jefferson Wysinger

So if you really do want to try and make some sort of point by writing in I advise you to research those people and actually vote for one of them so your vote is at least counted.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Nov 7, 2016 -> 12:23 PM)
You are aware that in Kansas your write in vote will not even be counted if that person has not filed as an official "write in candidate" right?

Here's a list of people that have officially filed with the state of Kansas.

Andrew Basiago

Darrell Castle

Rocky De La Fuente

Rocky Giordani

James Hedges

Tom Hoefling

Lynn Kahn

Gloria La Riva

Michael S Levinson

Michael A Maturen

Evan McMullin

Monica Moorehead

Darryl Perry

Marshall Schoenke

Joe Schriner

Mike Smith

Ajay Sood

Shawna Sterling

Anthony Valdivia

J.J. Vogel-Walcutt

Demetra Jefferson Wysinger

So if you really do want to try and make some sort of point by writing in I advise you to research those people and actually vote for one of them so your vote is at least counted.

Take out the women and than repost that for Greg. Save time