2016 Presidential Election Thread

Quin

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 05:24 AM)
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics...wamp/index.html

Trump doing the exact opposite of "draining the swamp" already....

He drained the swamp and filled it with toxic waste. He betrayed the people that voted for him as an "outsider" and someone who cares about them in 48 hours. I hope they see that.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 06:54 AM)
To be fair, they also reached out to Hillary's camp.

One thing I picked up from the 16 in 16 series from PBS is that this is hardly new. Gary Hart held extensive conversations with the Soviet Union during this campaign for President in 1984, and had plans to use those negotiations down the road.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 08:30 AM)
He drained the swamp and filled it with toxic waste. He betrayed the people that voted for him as an "outsider" and someone who cares about them in 48 hours. I hope they see that.

As long as they think not voting for Trump would have had their guns taken away, I don't think they care.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 08:38 AM)
One thing I picked up from the 16 in 16 series from PBS is that this is hardly new. Gary Hart held extensive conversations with the Soviet Union during this campaign for President in 1984, and had plans to use those negotiations down the road.

Yes, but when US intelligence traces the hacks to one of the party's emails, it should raise some eyebrows.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 09:15 AM)
As long as they think not voting for Trump would have had their guns taken away, I don't think they care.

Some of them for sure, but that's not everyone. A lot of people from Wisconsin and Michigan voted for Trump because they live in towns where industry is gone. Trump told them that he would bring that industry back and that he was not part of the establishment.

You can tell by the people he is bringing in that will not be the case.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 09:25 AM)
Some of them for sure, but that's not everyone. A lot of people from Wisconsin and Michigan voted for Trump because they live in towns where industry is gone. Trump told them that he would bring that industry back and that he was not part of the establishment.

You can tell by the people he is bringing in that will not be the case.

Of course, but that really should have been obvious as all of these people were working on getting him elected. That Trump is full of s***, I don't think surprises anyone. He has been full of it his whole life. There was a 60 minutes piece on his golf course in Scotland, all the jobs...all the new construction...it didn't quite work out like that. Same thing happened many years ago in Gary Indiana. The US could fall apart the first week of his Presidency and he will still say he was successful because he was elected. He is warped. If there is any good news about it, it's that many republicans feel the same way about him democrats do, so hopefully they can prevent catastrophe.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/megyn-kelly-memoir...-041228528.html

who tried to poison megyn kelly? and this is for Greg, who tipped him off to one of his "pointed" debate questions? lewandowski?

the election was unfair...he had questions in advance

throw him out! calexit! America has never had it worse since Obama was president....

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 07:25 AM)
A lot of people from Wisconsin and Michigan voted for Drumpf because they live in towns where industry is gone.

You know what. A lot of white, educated people voted for him too. People who sit behind desks at cushy jobs, making good money. These aren't people who are hit hard because a steel factory closed and they're not affected by Obamacare since they have the Aetna cadillac plan. These are your friends, neighbor, and relatives. I struggle to see what the had to gain by electing a completely inexperienced person who literally had no policy proposals other than a few vague promises about walls and banning Muslims. This is very bothersome.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)
You know what. A lot of white, educated people voted for him too. People who sit behind desks at cushy jobs, making good money. These aren't people who are hit hard because a steel factory closed and they're not affected by Obamacare since they have the Aetna cadillac plan. These are your friends, neighbor, and relatives. I struggle to see what the had to gain by electing a completely inexperienced person who literally had no policy proposals other than a few vague promises about walls and banning Muslims. This is very bothersome.

Also, a lot of people who wouldn't vote for Kerry because he was elitist and a Northeast Snob, just voted for a rich elitist New York snob. Difference being, one if incredibly smart and the other, well, lets just say the jury's still out on that one.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 10:06 AM)

Absolutely. The neighborhood I live in is perfect example of that. Mt. Greenwood was the only ward in Chicago to go for Trump and they voted for him in huge numbers. Mt. Greenwood is prominently made of up of union workers and public sector union workers(fireman, police, teachers). They voted against their own economic interests because they hate minorities and when I say that I mean it. They HATE minorities.

The Democratic party may never win over people like, but there is people they lost and they can get those people back. The working poor. Trump will not fix their problems and when he fails them, the democratic party needs to be there. Not sitting on the coasts calling them dumb hillbillies. That only insures you lose again in 2020.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Also, a lot of people who wouldn't vote for Kerry because he was elitist and a Northeast Snob, just voted for a rich elitist New York snob. Difference being, one if incredibly smart and the other, well, lets just say the jury's still out on that one.

must destroy all Americans who speak a second or third language, know anything about yachting and are effete/elitist/read the NY Times/are conversant about global issues.

women grabbing that's what not blooded genuine and authentic good 'ol boys from Brooklyn or Queens do....not those pesky MANHATTANITES with their blueblood Ivy League educations

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
Absolutely. The neighborhood I live in is perfect example of that. Mt. Greenwood was the only ward in Chicago to go for Trump and they voted for him in huge numbers. Mt. Greenwood is prominently made of up of union workers and public sector union workers(fireman, police, teachers). They voted against their own economic interests because they hate minorities and when I say that I mean it. They HATE minorities.

The Democratic party may never win over people like, but there is people they lost and they can get those people back. The working poor. Trump will not fix their problems and when he fails them, the democratic party needs to be there. Not sitting on the coasts calling them dumb hillbillies. That only insures you lose again in 2020.

People in both parties vote against their own best interests all of the time. Living in the steel belt, I have seen the unions endorse candidate after candidate who pledged to destroy coal, punish polluters, raise environmental standards, and open up free trade to allow cheaper steel from all over the rest of the world. None of those things are in a steel workers best interests. Yet, the overwhelmingly voted for Clinton, Obama, Gore, etc.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 02:56 PM)
It's from the NYT. They're projecting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/opinion/...e-win.html?_r=0

I was just talking with my friend about how all this talk of the electoral college needing to change needed to stop and that we need to think long and hard and not overreact to the results of the election.

But damn, a 2 million vote difference in popular vote while Clinton might lose the election 310-228 in electoral votes just does not seem right at all. I thought Gore had it bad, but wow.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 11, 2016 -> 04:05 PM)
I was just talking with my friend about how all this talk of the electoral college needing to change needed to stop and that we need to think long and hard and not overreact to the results of the election.

But damn, a 2 million vote difference in popular vote while Clinton might lose the election 310-228 in electoral votes just does not seem right at all. I thought Gore had it bad, but wow.

That's why any talk of "mandates" is silly. The Republicans lost seats in the House, but fewer than projected. They lost seats in the Senate, but fewer than projected. They lost the popular vote for the Presidency, but won several states that they were not projected to win (WI, MI and PA in particular). So they exceeded expectations in the election, and control the Legislative and Executive branches, but I hardly see this as a complete endorsement of Conservative principles. To the extent that the Republicans overplay their hand, they risk the backlash the Democrats experienced in 2010.

Many in Clinton's campaign viewed these voters as Trump's base, people so committed to the Republican nominee that no amount of visits or messaging could sway them. Clinton made no visits to Wisconsin as the Democratic nominee, and only pushed a late charge in Michigan once internal polling showed the race tightening.

Bill Clinton, advisers said, pushed the campaign early on to focus on these voters, many of whom helped elected him twice to the White House. The former president, a Clinton aide said, would regularly call Robby Mook to talk about strategy and offer advice.

But aides said the Clinton campaign's top strategists largely ignored the former president, instead focusing on consolidating the base of voters that helped elect President Barack Obama to the White House.

CNN.com

always with the best political instincts in that family...it's hard to see how diminished he seemed in recent years, and now there will be more lifetime bitterness over the FBI letter and the Clintons feeling Obama could have reigned in Comey had he chosen to do so