The 90s and 00s Sox were basically the Braves of the same span

Jack Parkman

Ron Kittle told me the team outright quit in the second half of 1984. Remember they had won seven straight and were in first place at the break.

The big difference between 83 and 84 was Jerry Koosman.

I had so many guys tell me off that club him not being there was a difference maker. Even JR admitted that was one of his biggest mistakes as owner, letting the Sox trade him for Ron Reed.

Koosman was like a second pitching coach, kept players in line and acted as a reassuring voice in the clubhouse when things got tight.

Tony LaRussa told me a big part of the reason Bull had a bad 84 and retired was because Kooz wasn't around. They were tight and would drive to the ballpark together.

But back to the point, the 84 team had nothing to do with my comment that the 83 team was in my opinion much more talented than the 03 club as the poster originally suggested (i.e. the most talented in franchise history...)

But carry on with whatever you are suggesting.

Mark

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)
Ron Kittle told me the team outright quit in the second half of 1984. Remember they had won seven straight and were in first place at the break.

I had so many guys tell me off that club him not being there was a difference maker. Even JR admitted that was one of his biggest mistakes as owner, letting the Sox trade him for Ron Reed.

Koosman was like a second pitching coach, kept players in line and acted as a reassuring voice in the clubhouse when things got tight.

Tony LaRussa told me a big part of the reason Bull had a bad 84 and retired was because Kooz wasn't around. They were tight and would drive to the ballpark together.

But back to the point, the 84 team had nothing to do with my comment that the 83 team was in my opinion much more talented than the 03 club as the poster originally suggested (i.e. the most talented in franchise history...)

Mark

I love Kitty but when he told you the team "outright quit" the second half of 1984, did he mention his .181/.256/.386 second half that year? Did he check out?

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 07:32 PM)

Mark

They lost 25 more games because they traded a 40 year old Jerry Koosman? That's a bit of a stretch even for you.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Oct 13, 2016 -> 06:32 PM)

Mark

LOL!! This bozo thinks trading the 40 year-old Jerry Koosman is one of his "biggest mistakes as owner"? Oh, the humanity!!!

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 11:49 AM)
They lost 25 more games because they traded a 40 year old Jerry Koosman? That's a bit of a stretch even for you.

You'd think they'd have learned and kept Buehrle for the same reason. Mark's style of pitching is what all starters should try to copy. Work fast, move the ball around. I worship Sale but watching Mark pitch was watching a quick-working arteest (artist). Never shoulda let Buehrle go.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 02:04 PM)
Except the Braves made the playoffs 14 consecutive years....the White Sox have never even managed to go back to back in their much longer franchise history.

And Braves' fans have had a number of seasons to enjoy since that string ended as well.

Not to mention two new stadiums in the past 20 years.

Boom. This thread blew up early. Can't argue with Caulfield here.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 01:41 PM)
You have no idea when or even if he made that comment, but don't let that stop you.

Don't worry, I won't, but thanks for checking in.

No, I was simply reacting to Lip's post where he mentioned that Reinsdorf said as much. If it's untrue and he never claimed that trading Koosman was one of his "biggest mistakes as owner", that would be encouraging, given there are many far more franchise-crippling mistakes he's made as owner over the years that make that trade look like nothing at all in comparison.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 03:25 PM)

No, I was simply reacting to Lip's post where he mentioned that Reinsdorf said as much. If it's untrue and he never claimed that trading Koosman was one of his "biggest mistakes as owner", that would be encouraging, given there are many far more franchise-crippling mistakes he's made as owner over the years that make that trade look like nothing at all in comparison.

Right, but making that comment in 1984 when he owned the team for 3 years would be quite different than making the same comment in 2014. But you, having no idea when he said it, still want to comment and b**** about it because that is what you do.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 03:44 PM)
Right, but making that comment in 1984 when he owned the team for 3 years would be quite different than making the same comment in 2014. But you, having no idea when he said it, still want to comment and b**** about it because that is what you do.

Meanwhile, the same owner who today says THE biggest mistake as owner was firing Tony LaRussa. Again, way down the list of the many mistakes he's made these past 36 years.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 03:57 PM)
Meanwhile, the same owner who today says THE biggest mistake as owner was firing Tony LaRussa. Again, way down the list of the many mistakes he's made these past 36 years.

Keep going, your schtick definitely is not getting old or boring.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 05:06 PM)
[slow clap]

I know it's inconvenient for you to accept it, but as long as Jerry Reinsdorf remains owner and continues to preside over the culture of losing he's instilled in the team and the organization, ongoing observations critical of him and his record remain relevant.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 03:46 PM)
I know it's inconvenient for you to accept it, but as long as Jerry Reinsdorf remains owner and continues to preside over the culture of losing he's instilled in the team and the organization, ongoing observations critical of him and his record remain relevant.

I don't think you should get as much crap as you do around here. I'm usually pretty level headed but Reinsdorf's record pretty much speaks for itself. Never does too much to really ensure success , always does just enough to get hopes up but doesn't finish the job. Free agent signings usually guys not quite good enough to make an impact with Albert Belle being the lone exception.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 11, 2016 -> 09:04 AM)
Except the Braves made the playoffs 14 consecutive years....the White Sox have never even managed to go back to back in their much longer franchise history.

And Braves' fans have had a number of seasons to enjoy since that string ended as well.

Not to mention two new stadiums in the past 20 years.

The Braves' history is longer than the Sox - just not in the same city.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Oct 14, 2016 -> 02:25 PM)

I'm in Flagstaff, Arizona after an all day bus ride for a game Saturday and I can assure you Thad, JR said that publicly. And I understand where he was coming from. Koosman made a HUGE impact on that team at that time. I've talked to guys like Kittle, Law, Paciorek, Fletcher, LaRussa and they have all said the same thing.

Mark